HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Compare to Atlanta:link
dc_denizen - You have GOT to be kidding with this comparison, or are you sharpening your skills as a traveling comedian?

What exactly possessed you to compare the western reaches of the mansion/high end townhome district of Sandy Springs to anything remotely transit oriented? I suspect you either landed on the wrong spot while searching for a comparison to Tulsa, or you are deliberately using Atlanta as some sort of twisted straw man.

Do tell, beacuse this is one of the most ridiculous posts/links I have EVER seen here.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:35 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
dc_denizen - You have GOT to be kidding with this comparison, or are you sharpening your skills as a traveling comedian?

What exactly possessed you to compare the western reaches of the mansion/high end townhome district of Sandy Springs to anything remotely transit oriented? I suspect you either landed on the wrong spot while searching for a comparison to Tulsa, or you are deliberately using Atlanta as some sort of twisted straw man.

Do tell, beacuse this is one of the most ridiculous posts/links I have EVER seen here.
Is this link better? Almost every residential street in northern and eastern Atlanta suburbs terminates in a cul-de-sac, and behind every development is a wide wooded strip. this build pattern equates to extreme low density, and near-impossibility of transit retrofit. In comparison, Tulsa is built on an orderly grid, like most western cities, even in the suburbs, without as many cul de sacs and strips of empty land between developments. Is this so controversial a point to make?

Note that I'm not bringing up in-perimeter Atlanta here.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Is this link better? Almost every residential street in northern and eastern Atlanta suburbs terminates in a cul-de-sac, and behind every development is a wide wooded strip. this build pattern equates to extreme low density, and near-impossibility of transit retrofit. In comparison, Tulsa is built on an orderly grid, like most western cities, even in the suburbs, without as many cul de sacs and strips of empty land between developments. Is this so controversial a point to make?

Note that I'm not bringing up in-perimeter Atlanta here.
No, actualy it's just as stupid as your first link - and you knew this when you posted it. This latest link is about 25 or more miles from the City, in far NW Cobb County. A County that actually happens to have transit, but it's pretty weak. At least it DOES connect to MARTA heavy rail, though.

None of this is even remotely related OR relative to the situation in Tulsa. That's my entire point - what is yours exactly?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Is this link Almost every residential street in northern and eastern Atlanta suburbs terminates in a cul-de-sac, and behind every development is a wide wooded strip. this build pattern equates to extreme low density, and near-impossibility of transit retro.
Sounds very eerily familair, just like suburban D.C in MD & VA. And very eerily familiar with NJ between Trenton and Princeton, which you are very familiar with.

Actually, it sounds like MOST of suburban Metropolitan America.

So again, what exactly is your point?

It was a bad comparison, just man up and admit it.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Americans should indeed demand levels of transit frequency that match Canadian levels, especially in western cities which are bus transit friendly. The built environment isn't really the issue for these cities, but rather the political will to fund transit adequately. Also, cars are cheap and very convenient for short trips.

Has anyone compared Portland's bus frequency vs say Vancouver's? my hunch is Portland buses are going to be more comparable in terms of frequency, but less so in terms of ridership.

I'm not sure about Portland, but Vancouver's bus service has been compared to Seattle's (metro area vs. metro area), and Seattle's frequency fared poorly in comparison. And this was three years ago. There's been significant service cuts in suburban Seattle since then, with more significant cuts looking like they're on the way later this year (in Pierce County). It looks like Seattle/King County faces significant cuts in the near future as well. So if this comparison were revisited in 2014, the Seattle area would likely look even worse in comparison to the Vancouver area:

http://www.zachshaner.ca/2010/04/a-t...one-seat-ride/

Portland has also seen service cutbacks since 2008. Some of the routes which used to run every 15 minutes now run every 17, 20, or in some cases even 25 minutes. I can't imagine a similar comparison between metro Vancouver and metro Portland would look good for Portland in 2013.

Last edited by J. Will; Apr 17, 2013 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Sounds very eerily familair, just like suburban D.C in MD & VA. And very eerily familiar with NJ between Trenton and Princeton, which you are very familiar with.

I so agree with you. I read what he posted also but I was going to let it pass - because it was kinda vague - not sure if it was a backhanded compliment or not. Now that he is doubling down on his comparisons, the vagueness I had is more clear.

Nonetheless, even when I read it about two days ago - just for kicks - I went to google maps and went about the same distance from DC (11-12 straight line miles) as the link he posted of metro Atlanta - and found very similar aerial maps. like this: DC MD link or this DC VA link

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTheArtist View Post
Those companies are big donors to various things in Tulsa. But the biggest donor is Kaiser with BOK and the Tulsa Community Foundation (the largest foundation of its type in the US)and the George Kaiser Community Foundation . His donations to Tulsa average more than the entire city budget!

One of the latest things is a huge new park near downtown and next to the river that will be close to 150million dollars (larger than the purportedly largest donation in history to a public park that was recently touted for NYC) and this after he has spent over 50 million dollars on other things at the River Parks. Then of course for downtown there is the new BOK Arena, the new Guthrie Green which is a small but very high quality park in the Brady Arts District and right across from that his support for the Arts and Humanities Councils new AHHA facility and the Woody Guthrie Museum and collection and Philbrook Museum expansion, then there are the Teach For America lofts nearby, and I could go on and on. I don't know where Tulsa would be without his generosity.
Well, those sound like some great starts towards helping downtown Tulsa recover! As for helpful suggestions, I've been thinking and I may have a few. As has been stated, the people of Tulsa are ideologically conservative, and I have kept that in mind when trying to think of ideas that would be politically palatable. It seems to me that one of the biggest problems is that it's cheaper for a company to tear down a building and make it into a parking lot then to keep the building. Perhaps the first thing to do would be to increase taxes gradually, say 6% a year for five years, on vacant lots in the central business district, and then use that income to reduce taxes for the buildings in the downtown core. If kept revenues neutral or made as part of a net tax cut, conservatives should be able to support it. It's lowering taxes for businesses and creating an incentive to develop properties in downtown Tulsa and bring new jobs. In the end it's good for the parking lot owners to, because if it brings in more people to DT, that's more parking revenues for them.

If you want to promote a more urban aesthetic, one way might be to zone for maximum set backs from the street, but allow for unlimited parking at the rear of buildings. This allows businesses to offer as much parking as they'd like in a city with no PT options, won't come off as a war on the car to residents in autocentric areas, and will still maintain the cohesive urban 'look' of downtown. That way, when a developer might want to build something truly urban, it won't look out of place. Large back alley parking areas also gives freedom for easy additions as the need for more space grows, without overly affecting visibility to customers or getting in the way of business at the front door.

Making urban buildings legal under zoning was a great idea and definitely necessary.

Tulsa's downtown is deserted and needs some residents to liven the place up. Unfortunately, people want to move into a neighbourhood, not a place where no people live. City would need to partner with a few big developers and make a plan for a neighbourhood with things like a grocery store and pharmacy in it, or no one will move there. Then with a big developer willing to start things off by building a bunch of the first buildings, smaller firms could fill in the remaining lots. In Canada, I know Griffintown in Montreal, the Olympic Village in Vancouver, Wesbrook Village at University of BC, the Don Lands in Toronto, the East Village in Calgary, and Ottawa's Lebreton Flats are examples of sucessful new urban neighbourhood building which could serve as models (there's probably more relevant American examples in some US cities to). It'd also have to be somewhere really choice, like a walkable community next to the hospital, aimed at seniors who want easy access to healthcare but aren't mobile for driving anymore. Or a planned neighbourhood with shops next to that glorious new park you mentioned, to maximize the value of the land adjacent to this grand public asset. Something that screams upside potential. Once there's some residents nearby with the various amenities they bring with them, speading development closer into downtown will be an easier sell.

To help make itself the go to place for Tulsans, downtown could perhaps offer special low tax incentives for entertainment venues and restaurants. Say no taxes for three years and low taxes afterwards. This might hopefully lead to clubs, music venues and restaurants developing all those parking lots to take advantage of the lack of NIMBY residents, the best access to transit in the metro (for when people are drunk), the allure of skyscrapers which are fun to see at night, people partying after going to the BOK centre, and suburbanites wanting to go somewhere that feels lively on the weekend. Nighttime bus service on the weekend to downtown would certainly compliment this plan.

Anyhow, those are my suggestions for thing that to my mind seems doable in Tulsa. Of course, none of it might be feasible at all, I don't know much about the city other then what I've tried to glean from wandering around on google maps.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 3:24 PM
Never Dell

Tax incentives and development assistance can be helpful, but that's mostly when the project would almost make sense without them.

I'd guess there's a latent demand for housing in Downtown Tulsa...people who want to live near work, or just be in the most urban part of town. Some people will choose this even without some conveniences nearby. Pretty soon maybe a corner store with decent groceries will show up, and restaurants will have more luck opening at night in addition to lunch. The trick is that rents have to be high enough to justify construction, and zoning has to not be too stringent on costly issues like parking ratios.

The big downtown revivals are built in stages. Supermarkets rely on populations in the many thousands, so there's no much point until the logical subarea grows that large, including some lunch hour traffic and a few that stop there before commuting to the burbs. The next thousand will grease the wheels for the thousand after, and so on.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:14 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:

There are differences in degree. Some cities have more of this type of built environment, and some have less. I could have equally chosen DC or central NJ to illustrate the contrast with a very grid-oriented city like Tulsa, but by all reasonable standards Atlanta is the BEST exemplar across the major US urban areas of the built environment I'm trying to contrast with Tulsa. The largest share of the built environment in Atlanta consists of very loopy, cul-de-sac-y streets with intervening wooded barrier lands between developments that I described. Thus the comparison.

If it mollifies you, central NJ is a much WORSE (ie, even less efficient and sustainable) built environment than Atlanta, which is at least a city. DC and it's inner suburbs, on the other hand, has been described as Montreal surrounded by Atlanta.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:56 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^^ Seattle appears to have double the routes (and probably a larger total mileage covered due to lower density of the urban area, Vancouver 2.1 MM in 1100 sq km vs Seattle 3.01 MM on 2600 sq km), but maybe 80% of the bus ridership (MB). Not sure what "AG" means in the APTA report: is this light rail?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
^^ Seattle appears to have double the routes (and probably a larger total mileage covered due to lower density of the urban area, Vancouver 2.1 MM in 1100 sq km vs Seattle 3.01 MM on 2600 sq km), but maybe 80% of the bus ridership (MB). Not sure what "AG" means in the APTA report: is this light rail?
AG = automated guideway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_guideway_transit

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, those sound like some great starts towards helping downtown Tulsa recover! As for helpful suggestions, I've been thinking and I may have a few. As has been stated, the people of Tulsa are ideologically conservative, and I have kept that in mind when trying to think of ideas that would be politically palatable. It seems to me that one of the biggest problems is that it's cheaper for a company to tear down a building and make it into a parking lot then to keep the building. Perhaps the first thing to do would be to increase taxes gradually, say 6% a year for five years, on vacant lots in the central business district, and then use that income to reduce taxes for the buildings in the downtown core. If kept revenues neutral or made as part of a net tax cut, conservatives should be able to support it. It's lowering taxes for businesses and creating an incentive to develop properties in downtown Tulsa and bring new jobs. In the end it's good for the parking lot owners to, because if it brings in more people to DT, that's more parking revenues for them.

If you want to promote a more urban aesthetic, one way might be to zone for maximum set backs from the street, but allow for unlimited parking at the rear of buildings. This allows businesses to offer as much parking as they'd like in a city with no PT options, won't come off as a war on the car to residents in autocentric areas, and will still maintain the cohesive urban 'look' of downtown. That way, when a developer might want to build something truly urban, it won't look out of place. Large back alley parking areas also gives freedom for easy additions as the need for more space grows, without overly affecting visibility to customers or getting in the way of business at the front door.

Making urban buildings legal under zoning was a great idea and definitely necessary.

Tulsa's downtown is deserted and needs some residents to liven the place up. Unfortunately, people want to move into a neighbourhood, not a place where no people live. City would need to partner with a few big developers and make a plan for a neighbourhood with things like a grocery store and pharmacy in it, or no one will move there. Then with a big developer willing to start things off by building a bunch of the first buildings, smaller firms could fill in the remaining lots. In Canada, I know Griffintown in Montreal, the Olympic Village in Vancouver, Wesbrook Village at University of BC, the Don Lands in Toronto, the East Village in Calgary, and Ottawa's Lebreton Flats are examples of sucessful new urban neighbourhood building which could serve as models (there's probably more relevant American examples in some US cities to). It'd also have to be somewhere really choice, like a walkable community next to the hospital, aimed at seniors who want easy access to healthcare but aren't mobile for driving anymore. Or a planned neighbourhood with shops next to that glorious new park you mentioned, to maximize the value of the land adjacent to this grand public asset. Something that screams upside potential. Once there's some residents nearby with the various amenities they bring with them, speading development closer into downtown will be an easier sell.

To help make itself the go to place for Tulsans, downtown could perhaps offer special low tax incentives for entertainment venues and restaurants. Say no taxes for three years and low taxes afterwards. This might hopefully lead to clubs, music venues and restaurants developing all those parking lots to take advantage of the lack of NIMBY residents, the best access to transit in the metro (for when people are drunk), the allure of skyscrapers which are fun to see at night, people partying after going to the BOK centre, and suburbanites wanting to go somewhere that feels lively on the weekend. Nighttime bus service on the weekend to downtown would certainly compliment this plan.

Anyhow, those are my suggestions for thing that to my mind seems doable in Tulsa. Of course, none of it might be feasible at all, I don't know much about the city other then what I've tried to glean from wandering around on google maps.
Your tax idea seems quite interesting to consider will definitely put that out there and see what the response is.

From your and others assessments of downtown it's apparent that "from the air" looking at a google map, our downtown really does look like the entirety must be a stagnant, dead wasteland. Indeed, even just 5 or 6 years ago you could go to the heart of two skyscraper canyons, the intersection of Boston Ave and 5th streets, in the evening after work hours and hardly see a car parked on the side of the road or one driving down it, or nary a single other sole walking down the street. Once I even laid down right in the middle of the road taking pictures up towards the tops of the buildings without worrying that a car would run over me lol.

http://www.maketulsa.com/2011/11/ind...shopping-2011/

click on that photo of downtown photo by Kelly Kerr. Empty. The blog is about a bunch of local young people going into some of these buildings with temporary shops for Christmas. Many of the shops are now permanent and growing. The building to the far far right now has several shops in it, the one just to it's left is now condos with ground floor retail, the one past that is now a Courtyard Marriott with shops and galleries, the one to the far far right corner is getting ground floor retail and its neighbor is being turned into lofts. etc. Now there are always cars up and down the street even in the evenings, there are several outdoor seating/eating areas, people on the sidewalks, and so on. Finally that beautiful core is coming alive.

Now within just a couple blocks of that intersection there are many old buildings that were once offices that have been turned into hotels and hundreds and hundreds of lofts with dozens of new ground floor retail shops, galleries, cafe's and restaurants, gyms, a small museum, and now even a few chains (definitely a sign that things are on the upswing). I just opened a shop this last Christmas at the corner of 6th and Boston (DECOPOLIS Studios, check us out on Facebook! www.facebook.com/decopolis the space was a wreck and abandoned for over 30 years. Owners gave us a good rate but no build out so doing it all out of pocket and with hard work and creativity, we are still a work in progress lol). I know I am an "early adopter" in the area but even right by me the old Art Deco, ARCO/Service Pipeline oil company building just to the north is being turned into lofts with ground floor retail, to the east of me an incredible mid century bank building has been saved and turned into a snazzy, new restaurant, http://vaulttulsa.com/ then right out my front window across the park the beautiful Art Deco, TransOk building is being converted into lofts with ground floor retail.

So far every single old building that has been turned into lofts has sold out before or right after it was renovated. Recently a large property holder (Kanbar of Sky Vodka who bought up in one fell swoop almost a THIRD of all of downtowns office building space because he believed that Tulsa was an undiscovered treasure ripe for redevelopment) just announced they are to begin work on another 700 living units. And in the last few years we have finally started seeing NEW (yay, finally lol) construction, apartment and condo buildings go up in other parts of downtown. And yes, a grocery store is due to open downtown later in the year.

The north part of downtown is really growing with lots of infill, the heart or core where the big skyscrapers are has been turning around. The north side had 3 tiny "districts" "Brady Arts www.thebradyartsdistrict.com (where the Cains Ballroom and Brady Theater are and the brand new Guthrie Green www.guthriegreen.com )" "Greenwood greenwoodchambertulsa.com (where the new baseball stadium is)" and "Blue Dome www.facebook.com/BlueDomeTulsa (named after an old art deco gas station that acts as a landmark for the area)" kind of hipster central for Tulsa. What's exciting is to see those 3 small districts beginning to all grow and you can now see that in time they will merge into quite a substantial chunk of pedestrian friendly urbanity (Google maps is WAY outdated in these areas showing empty spaces where there are now buildings). But yea, I figure it will be a while before that wasteland on the south side has anything done with it. The north side had some small old buildings that could be redeveloped by local entrepreneurs who began the transformation and now your seeing larger developments go in. But the south side doesn't have that. It's mostly large chunks of property owned by the local Jr College and some large downtown Churches for their parking.

Last edited by WilliamTheArtist; Apr 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:
There are differences in degree. Some cities have more of this type of built environment, and some have less. I could have equally chosen DC or central NJ to illustrate the contrast with a very grid-oriented city like Tulsa, but by all reasonable standards Atlanta is the BEST exemplar across the major US urban areas of the built environment I'm trying to contrast with Tulsa. The largest share of the built environment in Atlanta consists of very loopy, cul-de-sac-y streets with intervening wooded barrier lands between developments that I described. Thus the comparison.

If it mollifies you, central NJ is a much WORSE (ie, even less efficient and sustainable) built environment than Atlanta, which is at least a city. DC and it's inner suburbs, on the other hand, has been described as Montreal surrounded by Atlanta.
Boston ranks right up there with Atlanta for windy roads...and as a side note I think in most cases it has more to do with history and terrain than poor planning.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:

You know Atlanta is always the scapegoat when pointing out suburban/sprawl type flaws that exist in every American city - and often times to much more of an extent than in Atlanta. We seem to just be the go-to city when people discuss such things.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
You know Atlanta is always the scapegoat when pointing out suburban/sprawl type flaws that exist in every American city - and often times to much more of an extent than in Atlanta. We seem to just be the go-to city when people discuss such things.
Which city its size sprawls MORE than Atlanta? I'm being sincere, because I was certain Atlanta was the #1 sprawl violator in its group.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-chi-cbus View Post
Which city its size sprawls MORE than Atlanta? I'm being sincere, because I was certain Atlanta was the #1 sprawl violator in its group.
That is apparently the misconception, but it depends on what exactly is meant by "sprawl". People look at it in different ways...density, built environment, development on previously undeveloped land, distance from the core, etc. Atlanta admittedly sprawls, but it often gets unfairly singled out as if its the only one. L.A., Houston, Dallas, Chicago, and many others are (almost every large U.S. city) are huge sprawlers too.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:16 PM

Wow, so Atlanta is not the only city in the USA that sprawls. Thanks for informing us, because I didn't know that. With everyone constantly saying that Atlanta is the only city in the USA that sprawls, they almost had me fooled, but now I know the truth.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Wow, so Atlanta is not the only city in the USA that sprawls. Thanks for informing us, because I didn't know that. With everyone constantly saying that Atlanta is the only city in the USA that sprawls, they almost had me fooled, but now I know the truth.
There is a certain segment of the forum that repeatedly seems to take great pleasure in using Atlanta as the poster child for this, and it's been going on for years now.

Hard to imagine that a long time member could have possibly missed this somehow...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
And thank you for chiming in with the insightful, non-sarcastic remark.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
There is a certain segment of the forum that repeatedly seems to take great pleasure in using Atlanta as the poster child for this, and it's been going on for years now.

Hard to imagine that a long time member could have possibly missed this somehow...
Well-said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions