HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 7:42 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I often see them loaded with riffraff for building piers or erosion control
I believe the word is riprap.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 1:26 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Something may be going on at VDT's Staybridge (fingers crossed) - noticed lights on Friday pm, & lower portion of tarp off.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 2:23 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
No, there are a few commercial barges used on Lake Michigan, its just they are never used for long hauls because they need to be able to scurry back to shore in case a squall is coming.
In other words, not used on the open lake.

Quote:
I often see them loaded with riffraff for building piers or erosion control
That's an awfully judgmental thing to say—on Labor Day—about well-paid union workers . . .

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 4:14 PM
BANNED

^^^ No, they most definitely are used way out there sometimes, but I have no idea what they are doing. I can see them several miles out maybe once a month or so. Its clearly one or two large barges being pushed by a tug when I look at them through by binoculars. The ones I see the most though are the ones carrying construction materials within a mile of shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I believe the word is riprap.
Haha, yes, that is the word I meant to use. Spell check in Chrome apparently doesn't recognize riprap and changed it to riffraff when I typed it...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 4:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

as an avid river kayaker and resident of marina city, i can confirm that all branches of the chicago river still see barge traffic, though it is rather rare on the main branch. most barges that i've encountered while paddling also seem to go through downtown in the evening hours. i don't know if that's by design to avoid the busiest times of the tourist boats or if it's just coincidence, but it's a pattern i've noticed.

i've also seen that big blue barge that cbotnyse posted. it's cool seeing a barge that big navigate through the bends at wabash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
As barges aren't used on the open lake,
that's incorrect, there are a number of barges that are used out on the open water of the great lakes' shipping lanes. they are operated as an integrated tug and barge system where the barge actually has a notch in the back end to accommodate the hull of the tug (as seen in the picture cbotnyse posted). from a distance they can resemble a conventional lake freighter, but they are in fact tug and barge set-ups. what you won't see out on the open water of the great lakes are rafted barge set-ups like you see on the mississippi river, where a number of smaller barges are rafted together and pushed by a single tug.

for reference, here's an image of one of the typical great lakes integrated tug & barges (ITB) that routinely ply the open waters of the great lakes.

source: http://www.boatnerd.com/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 8, 2009 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 6:31 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah, those are the guys I see way out there every so often. I thought they were just freighters at first, but then one came in close enough for me to get a good look at it with my binoculars and I could see it was far too low in the water and that the tug part was clearly not fully integrated structurally with barge part.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 2:03 AM
Urbane observer

FWIW, barges are pushed by towboats, not tugboats.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 2:36 AM
BANNED

There is a drill rig on site at the corner of Sheridan and Foster in the Dominicks Parking lot. Hopefully this means they are doing site testing for that wonderful new Dominicks they are going to build. The sooner they build that the better, it should make a world of difference for that corner.

Also, rumor has it that both the southeast and southwest corners of that interesection are slated for some kind of redevelopment. I don't have any details on it, but I hear that the McDonalds and the dilapidated 4+1 are going to go and be replaced by some midrises.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 2:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
FWIW, barges are pushed by towboats, not tugboats.
well, i'm no expert on maritime terminology in general, but that little rule does not apply to shipping on the great lakes. the ITBs that ply the waters of the great lakes are pushed by tugs. ITB stands for Integrated Tug & Barge, not Integrated Tow & Barge. i really don't know if there is any substantive difference between a tugboat and a towboat, but on the lakes, the term "tug" is used across the board.

EDIT: doing a little research, it turns out that towboats are a specific type of tugboat. they are flat-fronted, flat-hulled tugs used for pushing barges on rivers and other types of protected inland waters. they are generally not suitable for open water use do to their hull shape.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 9, 2009 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 2:39 PM

This doesn't look promising

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder09.article
The man who bought old Post Office

September 9, 2009

DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com
The mysterious buyer of the Old Chicago Main Post Office, 433 W. Van Buren, is Bill Davies, a globe-trotting investor who apparently has left a trail of broken promises in his former hometown of Liverpool, England.
According to the Liverpool Daily Post, Davies has tried unsuccessfully to launch several projects in that city. His plan for a shopping complex in a central part of Liverpool called Chavasse Park dragged on for years until the local council pulled his legal right to the property. Davies charged that the action cost him about $160 million in lost profits. He ended up settling with the council in 2008 for what the Daily Post said was a payout worth about $3 million.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 2:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well lets give the man a chance before we assume he will fail. Many a great person failed time and time again before success, remember that.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 11:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well lets give the man a chance before we assume he will fail. Many a great person failed time and time again before success, remember that.
Tell that to the bank where he's gonna ask for construction financing.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 1:06 AM

Here's our chance to get our Chicago pics published!

Sorry this is totally of topic but I didn't know where else I could post this. I just got an email yesterday informing me about this. CBS2 is having a Chicago coffee table type book published, and they are asking anybody and everybody to submit their pics onto their website where other users can vote on which ones they like and eventually pictures will be picked out to be published. I think this is a cool idea; I already uploaded about 20 of my best pics! Maybe i'll even get lucky and get a couple of them published.

Try it. Even if you don't get picked, it's still pretty cool!

http://www.capturemychicago.com/
Millwaukee | Madison | Deer Valley, Utah | Grand Rapids | Chicagoland: Roselle, St. Charles, Wheaton, Woodstock

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 11:30 PM
The City

Devon & Rockwell

To whom it may concern (and I'm guessing probably not too many), the development u/c on the NE corner of Devon & Rockwell is indeed actively going up.

Unfortunately, from a business nearby I found out that the residential portion has been lopped off. Thus, it will simply be a parking garage with lower level shops.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 1:11 AM

I was passing by a patient room today and for some reason a Chicago Tribune caught my eye. On the front page was a huge plan for extending Chicago's lakeshore bike paths to the south and to the north. The patient offered me the paper but I declined saying I'll just look it up online when I get home. I'm now home and can't for the life of me find the article or anything of this. Does anyone have access to today's Tribune or have access to this article online? I've searched everywhere and don't feel like going to the store to grab an actual paper. It looked like really big and very real plans to extend the lakeshore bike paths and I would very much appreciate someone sharing as I'm sure others would be interested in this.

Last edited by whyhuhwhy; Sep 11, 2009 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
To whom it may concern (and I'm guessing probably not too many), the development u/c on the NE corner of Devon & Rockwell is indeed actively going up.

Unfortunately, from a business nearby I found out that the residential portion has been lopped off. Thus, it will simply be a parking garage with lower level shops.
It's still an upgrade as long as the lower floor is primarily devoted to retail. Given how far the Devon district is from the L, it will have a high rate of auto use by default, so best that such use is accommodated in dense urban structures like garages rather than crappy street-killing surface lots.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 4:44 AM

Mini update: 1st-floor columns have now been put up for the Clybourn Apple Store.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:28 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhuhwhy View Post
I was passing by a patient room today and for some reason a Chicago Tribune caught my eye. On the front page was a huge plan for extending Chicago's lakeshore bike paths to the south and to the north. The patient offered me the paper but I declined saying I'll just look it up online when I get home. I'm now home and can't for the life of me find the article or anything of this. Does anyone have access to today's Tribune or have access to this article online? I've searched everywhere and don't feel like going to the store to grab an actual paper. It looked like really big and very real plans to extend the lakeshore bike paths and I would very much appreciate someone sharing as I'm sure others would be interested in this.
There are several related articles... here's one:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,3246023.story

The other articles have links on that page.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There are several related articles... here's one:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,3246023.story

The other articles have links on that page.
Yeah I saw that, but that wasn't the article that I saw on the front page of the Tribune yesterday. The article I saw had a large diagram showing planned extensions to the south and to the north.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 1:02 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...side11.article

New harbors near pier, 31st St. set to get lots of bells, whistles

$110 MIL. PROJECT | Restaurants, trams, remote parking, shuttle proposed
Comments

September 11, 2009

BY FRAN SPIELMAN AND LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporters

Chicago is getting a sneak peak at two new lakefront harbors that will create more than 1,100 new slips and absorb boaters displaced from Monroe Harbor if Chicago wins the 2016 Olympic sweepstakes.

The 240-slip Gateway Harbor south of Navy Pier includes plans for a new Navy Pier park "to be developed by others," a "transit circulator" serving multiple stations and "on-pier trams" operating in "designated tram lanes," according to a zoning application filed at this week's City Council meeting.

The north dock would be at Navy Pier's Festival Hall; the south dock at the Family Pavilion. New restaurants, kiosks and harbor facilities would be provided in two new buildings on the east and west sides of the new harbor.

Remote parking and shuttle buses would divert traffic away from already congested Navy Pier.

The new 31st Street marina with space for 840 boats would include a new restaurant, lakefront community center and parking for 300 cars. The sleek new building designed by Brook Architecture includes a translucent glass curtain wall.
The two new harbors are the first to be built by the Chicago Park District in nearly a decade -- since Du Sable Harbor opened with 420 slips.

The $110 million project will be financed by a revenue bond retired by 20 years of boat mooring fees................

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development