HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:14 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I was thinking Intercontinental doesn't have a stake in Austin, if I'm correct, maybe they would be interested if the hotel component isn't too small.
The InterContinental Stephen F. Austin (@ Congress & 7th) has been around for at least 16/17 years!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:24 PM

That Gensler reference to hospitality is the only mention of it that I can find. Lincoln and Kairoi have not said anything about it, and it's not included in any marketing materials. The approved site plan does not include any hotel space. But they could have turned some of the apartments into short term rentals. The 5th & Brazo project has some of the apartment levels designated as short term rentals.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
The InterContinental Stephen F. Austin (@ Congress & 7th) has been around for at least 16/17 years!
Ok, so I wasn't correct. That shouldn't surprise anyone who reads my posts.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtriathlete View Post

Took a timelapse video of some of the Extended Stay demo this afternoon.
Thank you very much for filming this. Next time please hold your phone sideways. We'll be able to see a much better picture that way. (Professional tip: I do videography for a living.)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Thank you very much for filming this. Next time please hold your phone sideways. We'll be able to see a much better picture that way. (Professional tip: I do videography for a living.)
The resolution is the same for vertical video, except inverted. Vertical video is also more practical for something going on the web because odds are that people are viewing it on their phones which are mostly locked vertically. It's why media makers now have to frame for both in mind knowing that promotional video on twitter and instagram is going to be square at best and vertical at worst.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The resolution is the same for vertical video, except inverted. Vertical video is also more practical for something going on the web because odds are that people are viewing it on their phones which are mostly locked vertically. It's why media makers now have to frame for both in mind knowing that promotional video on twitter and instagram is going to be square at best and vertical at worst.
Does anyone browse these forums on their phones though? I know I don't.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
It's likely 50-50.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Hell naw. It sucks on mobile. Straight desktop for me.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:23 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Did you film this for Twitter and Instagram as a promotional video? If so, then please continue framing it for them.

I always look at this forum on my computer. I assume most others do too so they can see photos of buildings on as big a screen as possible. And you are correct that the resolution is the same if the phone is held vertically or horizontally, but the field of view on wide screen (horizontal) is optimized for human peripheral vision... that's why movie screens and TVs less than 10 years old are shaped the way they are. Here's the Wikipedia page about it in case anyone wants to read it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view

Anyway, I'll shut up now because I get the feeling you don't want to hear my suggestion that was meant to be friendly and helpful. Maybe it will be helpful to someone else on this forum. Thanks again for filming it regardless.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Did you film this for Twitter and Instagram as a promotional video? If so, then please continue framing it for them.

I always look at this forum on my computer. I assume most others do too so they can see photos of buildings on as big a screen as possible. And you are correct that the resolution is the same if the phone is held vertically or horizontally, but the field of view on wide screen (horizontal) is optimized for human peripheral vision... that's why movie screens and TVs less than 10 years old are shaped the way they are. Here's the Wikipedia page about it in case anyone wants to read it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view

Anyway, I'll shut up now because I get the feeling you don't want to hear my suggestion that was meant to be friendly and helpful. Maybe it will be helpful to someone else on this forum. Thanks again for filming it regardless.
Oh I didn't film it. I agree with you about the peripheral but I'm not sure it matters when the point of interest (building demo) is so narrow. Everything on the sides and above below isn't really relevant.

I was just saying that the changing media consumption patterns have also changed the annoyance of vertical video as more media is consumed on phones than computers even if websites themselves are still 50/50 for computers/phones.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:48 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Oh I didn't film it. I agree with you about the peripheral but I'm not sure it matters when the point of interest (building demo) is so narrow. Everything on the sides and above below isn't really relevant.

I was just saying that the changing media consumption patterns have also changed the annoyance of vertical video as more media is consumed on phones than computers even if websites themselves are still 50/50 for computers/phones.
You're right about the websites optimized for mobile. It has its positives and negatives.

As for the vertical video when viewed on a video hosting site such as Youtube or Vimeo (and many others), when the native video uploaded to the hosting site is wide format it fills the video screen space, and when played at full screen it fills the entire computer screen (generally). When the native video is vertical you end up with the letterboxing on the left and right and a reduced-sized video, making it harder to see the details because the entire image is smaller.

Anyway, thanks once again for posting the video. I got to see part of the demolition because you took the time and made the effort to post it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm correcting myself. Thanks to txtriathlete, as well as all the notes about horizontal video being the optimal aspect ratio for viewing on this forum.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:13 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I only use my phone to browse on the forum. I do have a computer but rarely use it. Smartphones these days are literally handheld size computers.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:17 AM

I like candy but I'm diabetic. Oh, and laptop all the way for me because I have a shitty tracfone, with a crack in the screen, and it has a pretty small screen, and sucks down wifi minutes or wifi units faster then I can reload. But at least its easily dropped or lost like today when it fell in the car canyon to the right of my seat. It takes decent pictures but last time I had to get jdawgboy to post them for me because I'm an idiot, so I am forever grateful to all who share no matter how you hold your phone.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:44 AM
lurker

I think I would go crazy if I had to use my phone to look at the forums. I did not even think of the phone as an option to the point that I had no idea people did this.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberthewhat View Post
I think I would go crazy if I had to use my phone to look at the forums. I did not even think of the phone as an option to the point that I had no idea people did this.
Same. I'm trying REALLY hard to stay away from my phone and social media (Trying to do morning and night only)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:51 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's more convenient this way since I can get on at anytime, anywhere when I have a few minutes of free time. Don't have any problems looking at pictures or videos. Its fast and easy, have a built in pen to use too. The only thing that I can't do is look at articles behind paywalls but that isn't really a big problem as long as someone posts the meat of the article.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 8:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Moderators: please don't remove this conversation. It's obviously good information that we're sharing with each other and will prove useful for determining how people choose to post videos in the future. (And nobody is arguing... it's all very respectful.)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:32 PM

11-17-19

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:57 PM

D

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:42 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin