HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 2:37 PM

Is any of this info new? I can walk over to the site later to see if there's been any progress but I was under the impression this one was dead for a while.

https://phillyyimby.com/2020/09/exca...nter-city.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Is any of this info new? I can walk over to the site later to see if there's been any progress but I was under the impression this one was dead for a while.

https://phillyyimby.com/2020/09/exca...nter-city.html
That site is relatively new (many articles by a member of this forum) and so they've been going through basically all the old news gathered on this forum and making news articles from them, often making them seem more current or imminent than they really are.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
That site is relatively new (many articles by a member of this forum) and so they've been going through basically all the old news gathered on this forum and making news articles from them, often making them seem more current or imminent than they really are.
I can confirm that there is nothing going on at this site. The original buildings have been demolished and there has been a partial excavation, but nothing has happened in the past few months.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 10:33 PM

^ Case in point that demolition must be tied to construction. No demo without a construction commitment and financing in place. Jeweler's Row is wrecked and all I got was this lousy hole.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 12:51 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^ Case in point that demolition must be tied to construction. No demo without a construction commitment and financing in place. Jeweler's Row is wrecked and all I got was this lousy hole.
Bingo! This is also a busy area in the city and now they destroyed the buildings for a hole smh.

Wait until you have the money to demo and build its that simple people.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 1:49 AM

^Yes. Exactly.

And Toll just acquired another high rise project in Philly that they apparently plan to start soon, meanwhile we've heard nothing about this since it was postponed indefinitely. So it looks like this isn't even a priority for them any longer. We should all get used to looking at this hole.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 12:28 PM

I mean realistically the people at Philly YIMBY or the Inquirer should be doing the legwork on this one, but the N. Broad building is part of Toll's "Apartment Living" portfolio, while the Sansom Street Project is part of the "City Living" portfolio. My assumption is that the City Living buildings are condos while the apartment living are apartments. Toll likely thinks the market for apartments hasn't been as impacted as luxury condos. Plus 702 Sansom would be competing with the Laurel, Arthaus, etc. In Toll's most recent earnings call they mentioned that they are pausing City Living development until the market gets better.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 1:59 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
^Yes. Exactly.

And Toll just acquired another high rise project in Philly that they apparently plan to start soon, meanwhile we've heard nothing about this since it was postponed indefinitely. So it looks like this isn't even a priority for them any longer. We should all get used to looking at this hole.
Or rather — assuming you mean to Broad & Noble St project — they finally consummated the land purchase (from the Mormons) for an apartment project which they had announced last October.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Or rather — assuming you mean to Broad & Noble St project — they finally consummated the land purchase (from the Mormons) for an apartment project which they had announced last October.
Yes, sorry, confused the details there. Didn't realize they were involved when the project was announced.

Regardless, according to DudeGuy it looks like they'll be moving forward with the Broad and Noble project, but there's no indication anything is happening here anytime soon.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
this x 10000

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 6:24 PM

Yet another layer of mystery added to the Jeweler's Row Tower debacle:

Jewelers Row Tower’s Height Increased, Unit Count Decreased to 63

Quote:
On August 3rd, zoning permits were issued that increased the height of the proposed tower from 307′ 2″ to 329’6″. The permit also made minor changes to the footprints of floors 1, 24, and 25. No details about these changes were provided in the work description. Then, on October 8th, another zoning permit was issued to reduce the number of residential units within the building from 85 to 63
Read more at: http://www.rising.realestate/jeweler...creased-to-63/

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 6:37 PM

Interesting, I imagine the units are now going to include more in-home offices, therefore increasing the unit sizes hence the fewer units. Everyone will continue to work from home!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 7:22 PM

^ That would be an interesting trend. Pure office space construction seems to have declined around here, with a few notable exceptions. I've wondered whether Philadelphia can sustain the kind of skyline growth for which some of us yearn, mostly based upon residential/mixed use projects. If office space becomes increasingly integrated with residential units, I wonder whether it might lead to as many or more buildings of significant height. I'm sure developers would want to have their cake and eat it too by selling bigger AND more units.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 10:59 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Yet another layer of mystery added to the Jeweler's Row Tower debacle:

Jewelers Row Tower’s Height Increased, Unit Count Decreased to 63

Read more at: http://www.rising.realestate/jeweler...creased-to-63/
Is anyone able to find these new or amended permits online? I've searched in both atlas and eclipse, but am coming up empty.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:27 AM

Quote:
^ That would be an interesting trend. Pure office space construction seems to have declined around here, with a few notable exceptions. I've wondered whether Philadelphia can sustain the kind of skyline growth for which some of us yearn, mostly based upon residential/mixed use projects. If office space becomes increasingly integrated with residential units, I wonder whether it might lead to as many or more buildings of significant height. I'm sure developers would want to have their cake and eat it too by selling bigger AND more units.
We may indeed get taller residential buildings but commercial office buildings are how you get to 700 footers, 800 footers, and taller.

What would you bet on happening first? A 1,000 foot residential building or a 1,000 foot commercial tower? Or even 750 feet? Not easy to decide.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 8:53 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Is anyone able to find these new or amended permits online? I've searched in both atlas and eclipse, but am coming up empty.
I found the amended Jewelers' Row permits in atlas under 708 Sansom St:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...g/00388016.pdf

http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...g/00309328.pdf

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:56 PM
Chris

Disappointing. A glass box? Meanwhile Manhattan projects get stone, masonry, angles, shapes, etc. Come on Toll Brothers. With the stunt they pulled, they could at least give Philadelphia a decent building, maybe add some ribbing in-between the glass?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:53 PM

Current site. Someone deserves to be punched in the face over this.

https://phillyyimby.com/2020/12/702-...nter-city.html

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 11:19 PM

i was hoping the update was going to involve some construction. Should've known better.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:34 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Wow. I just read through this thread, what a greasy move....that's really sad to see. The dumbing down of the building renders was nothing short of insulting to this historically significant area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals