HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 1:58 AM

Is this finally the nail in his coffin?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...madigans-exit?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 2:31 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Is this finally the nail in his coffin?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...madigans-exit?
Dear God I hope so. Michael Madigan is a cancer.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 4:09 PM
BANNED

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...jvu-story.html

Aftermath of looting in downtown Chicago: 13 cops injured, 2 people shot, more than 100 arrests, Mag Mile trashed

By Paige Fry, Jeremy Gorner, Gregory Pratt, Megan Crepeau and Stacy St. Clair

Chicago Tribune |
Aug 10, 2020 at 9:48 AM

Hundreds of people swept through the Magnificent Mile and other parts of downtown Chicago early Monday, smashing windows, looting stores, confronting police and at one point exchanging gunfire with officers, authorities said.

The looting and vandalism began shortly after, with people streaming in and out of high-end stores. Some could be seen throwing merchandise into rental trucks and other large vehicles before driving away.
“This was not an organized protest,” Brown said. “Rather this was an incident of pure criminality. This was an act of violence against our police officers and against our city.”
The looting began shortly after midnight as people darted through broken store windows and doors along Michigan Avenue carrying shopping bags full of merchandise. Cars dropped off more people as the crowd grew.

The scene was reminiscent of the looting that occurred earlier this summer amid the response to the killing of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis Police. Both Lightfoot and Brown implicitly criticized Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx, saying there weren’t consequences for looters earlier this summer.

“What we’re saying is, as a result of what happened last night, there have to be consequences,” Lightfoot said. “We’ve got teams of people that are aggressively out there identifying the people responsible, looking at the plates, and we’re going to bring them to justice.
“But when we do make those arrests, our expectation is that this is going to be treated with the level of seriousness it should be. Period,” she said. “Don’t try to bait us, mischaracterize, pit one against the other, we’re not playing that. We’re in a serious situation here and we need a serious response. That’s what we’re saying.”

Foxx’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The looting seemed to be centered in Streeterville and North Michigan Avenue, but some looting was reported on State Street in the Loop and on the Near North Side. By 4 a.m. police appeared to be getting things under control.
But some vandalism continued into the daylight hours, and the CTA suspended train and bus service into downtown during the morning rush, while the Illinois state police blocked off ramps from expressways. Bridges across the Chicago River were raised, except for the one on LaSalle Street for emergency vehicles.
People were seen running out of a PNC Bank, its windows smashed, at Huron and State streets. Down the block, other stores, including a Sall…..

Crowds repeatedly tried to bash in the windows of the Omega watch store at Delaware Place and Michigan Avenue.
“The watch store,” one officer said. “They’re gonna get it eventually.”
A group of people went in and out through a broken window of the Louis Vuitton store along Walton Place across the street from the Drake Hotel. A squad car drove by and the group ran away.
But as the car rode off, at least one person tried to go into the shop. The police returned.

“Go home!” One cop shouted.

“You go home!” Someone shouted, apparently back at the officer.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:58 PM
The City

This is from ABC News local. I was wondering of the city was going to explore something like this:

Quote:
Lightfoot said the city was still "working on the specifics" of a looming lockdown that could include closing some bridges and expressways.

"We are working on the specifics now," Lightfoot told reporters Monday. "We are looking at the bridges. But we want to make sure obviously that the people who work and live downtown have easy access to the downtown area."

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 6:10 PM

Does anyone honestly think this is gonna seriously set the Mag Mile back? As long as the surrounding community stays elite, it might recover in some fashion, but its overall prominence is probably going to lessen over the decade.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMIchael View Post
Does anyone honestly think this is gonna seriously set the Mag Mile back? As long as the surrounding community stays elite, it might recover in some fashion, but its overall prominence is probably going to lessen over the decade.
I'm confused what you're actually saying and don't want to jump to conclusions.

When events like this happen, there are large ripples throughout the local economy ie. decreased hours of operation, less daily business and on-the-clock staff, increased security, people less likely to be in the areas to shop/eat/play, a larger police presence possibly diverted from more dangerous areas in the city, etc.

Just because most people could care less if a LV boutique is robbed, it doesn't mean the sales staff can afford to not work or make less money in the following weeks as windows are repaired and then boarded up, new inventory is ordered and shipped, the shop is cleaned, and regular patrons are reluctant to visit for their safety.

This is all very sad.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 6:51 PM

I'm flying to Chicago on Thursday with a few friends who have never been... I hope this is all cleaned up before then or it's not going to be a pretty first impression.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:26 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I'm flying to Chicago on Thursday with a few friends who have never been... I hope this is all cleaned up before then or it's not going to be a pretty first impression.
Really? That's your concern? Shouldn't you be more concerned that you're traveling during a pandemic?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Really? That's your concern? Shouldn't you be more concerned that you're traveling during a pandemic?
We've all already had it and have antibodies.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:43 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
We've all already had it and have antibodies.
Dang; glad you are good (I just got tested on Friday, waiting for results).

So, I've been reading online about how the fact that the looting last night was all very coordinated, and also heard some whispers from two individuals I know that work in a city agency (housing), that think this was coordinated on a much higher level (think federal), in order to possibly justify the Feds bringing in forces to Chicago. I don't know at all if there is any morsel of truth to that, but something about the looting/robberies (which are very horrible) doesn't add up..

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Dang; glad you are good (I just got tested on Friday, waiting for results).

So, I've been reading online about how the fact that the looting last night was all very coordinated, and also heard some whispers from two individuals I know that work in a city agency (housing), that think this was coordinated on a much higher level (think federal), in order to possibly justify the Feds bringing in forces to Chicago. I don't know at all if there is any morsel of truth to that, but something about the looting/robberies (which are very horrible) doesn't add up..
If that were the case then certainly Trump would be tweeting about it, he hasn't. But I agree that it certainly doesn't look to have been a spur of the moment reaction to a police shooting. Definitely some organizational structure set this into motion (perhaps gang-related). The silver lining to that is that it's unlikely to be a continuous nightly occurrence.. at least we should hope. It also seems to have sufficiently pissed off city officials to the point they can no longer look the other way.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:04 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
If that were the case then certainly Trump would be tweeting about it, he hasn't. But I agree that it certainly doesn't look to have been a spur of the moment reaction to a police shooting. Definitely some organizational structure set this into motion (perhaps gang-related). The silver lining to that is that it's unlikely to be a continuous nightly occurrence.. at least we should hope. It also seems to have sufficiently pissed off city officials to the point they can no longer look the other way.
I'd look more closely to what he actually is tweeting about, he always defers to something else in order to draw attention away.
The two CHA individuals whom I've spoken to have connections throughout the south and west side, neighborhood organizations, community leaders, even regular residents...they were ALL totally blindsided by this; this was not some sort of 'organic' organization..I genuinely think this has been planned for a while, with a deliberate triggering event to again, justify federal agents in Chicago, which Trump and Barr have repeatedly pushed since Portland. This is not BLM protestors, these are most likely paid actors pushing Trump's agenda. Everything is off the table when a deranged psychopath is in power.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I'm confused what you're actually saying and don't want to jump to conclusions.

When events like this happen, there are large ripples throughout the local economy ie. decreased hours of operation, less daily business and on-the-clock staff, increased security, people less likely to be in the areas to shop/eat/play, a larger police presence possibly diverted from more dangerous areas in the city, etc.

Just because most people could care less if a LV boutique is robbed, it doesn't mean the sales staff can afford to not work or make less money in the following weeks as windows are repaired and then boarded up, new inventory is ordered and shipped, the shop is cleaned, and regular patrons are reluctant to visit for their safety.

This is all very sad.
I read an article discussing how the shutdowns and looting were putting many shops on the Mag Mile at that tipping point. Do you think the looting has pushed many stores to a point of no return (ie, permanently closing)?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:34 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I read an article discussing how the shutdowns and looting were putting many shops on the Mag Mile at that tipping point. Do you think the looting has pushed many stores to a point of no return (ie, permanently closing)?
I think in our near future, the only places you'll find non-experiential, non-bigbox retailers are places like the Mag Mile, that serve as a showcase. I would worry about the rest of the retail world first. I guess it's possible some other shopping corridor will take over, but I'm not sure what that would be.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I do. And the previous post, no these are not federal paid actors doing this
This is gangland and very coordinated. Im talking about thousands of the same thugs arriving at the same time in DT to overwhelm hundreds of police.

Until Fox actually prostitutes its going to be more frequent than you think.

And supposedly the FED agents are already here from what I have read.

They are not helping except for some big time gang leaders a couple weeks ago on drug and gun charges. But the FED is certainly not paying people to do this if that is what some of you guys are saying.

Perhaps the FED could pay the Hispanic gangs to protect downtown because Foxx certainly is not stopping this.

If she gets re elected its over. And yes she is a Soros DA, easy to google.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politic...tates-attorney

Another billionaire weighs in on state’s attorney’s race: George Soros gives $2M to group backing Foxx

By Rachel Hinton Feb 20, 2020, 5:19pm CST

https://chicagoist.com/2016/03/10/kim_foxx_funding.php

A Look At The 'Dark Money' Behind Kim Foxx's States Attorney Campaign

By Sam Stecklow in News on Mar 10, 2016 9:00PM

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...re/3301650001/

Calling out political donor George Soros is not a thought crime

John Kass | Sarasota Herald-Tribune

The angry left-handed broom of America's cultural revolution uses fear to sweep through the our civic, corporate and personal life. It brings with it attempted intimidation, shame and the usual demands for ceremonies of public groveling.

It is happening in newsrooms in New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles. And now it's coming for me, in an attempt to shame me into silence.

Here's what happened: With violence spiking around the country, I wrote a column on the growing sense of lawlessness in America's urban areas. In response, the Tribune newspaper union, the Chicago Tribune Guild, which I have repeatedly and politely declined to join, wrote a letter to management defaming me, by falsely accusing me of religious bigotry and fomenting conspiracy theories. Newspaper management has decided not to engage publicly with the union. So I will.

For right now, let's deal with facts. My column explored the connections between soft-on-crime prosecutors and increases in violence along with the political donations of left-wing billionaire George Soros, who in several states has funded liberal candidates for prosecutor, including Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx. Soros' influence on these races is undeniable and has been widely reported. But in that column, I did not mention Soros' ethnicity or religion.

You'd think that before wildly accusing someone of fomenting bigoted conspiracy theories, journalists on the union's executive board would at least take the time to Google the words "Soros," "funding" and "local prosecutors."

Last edited by bnk; Aug 10, 2020 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:41 PM
The City

I’m sorry everyone, but the notion that the looters were Trump-paid actors....I mean....that is so far fetched and stupid. I’d sooner believe that there is an alien queen from the Andromeda Galaxy living in my attic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I think in our near future, the only places you'll find non-experiential, non-bigbox retailers are places like the Mag Mile, that serve as a showcase. I would worry about the rest of the retail world first. I guess it's possible some other shopping corridor will take over, but I'm not sure what that would be.
In the Midwest or in the city?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 10:20 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I’m sorry everyone, but the notion that the looters were Trump-paid actors....I mean....that is so far fetched and stupid. I’d sooner believe that there is an alien queen from the Andromeda Galaxy living in my attic
With Trump-thug and his vast network of bad players, NOTHING is off the table. I hope I'm wrong, frankly. But he is not trustworthy for anything.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 10:20 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
In the Midwest or in the city?
Both! People aren't going to be going to Detroit to go to Gucci anytime soon...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 10:21 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
With Trump-thug and his vast network of bad players, NOTHING is off the table. I hope I'm wrong, frankly. But he is not trustworthy for anything.
I doubt they are actors, but I would not be surprised if there were outside agitators involved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest