HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

One Madison Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 2:27 PM
Editor

So lovely design! This one would be a great addition to the NYC Skyline, but likely it does not get built... sad

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 3:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Well, it's likely we could see a design change, as even the Libeskind design wasn't final. This would be on the high end of construction, so until we return to those days, it likely won't be built, along with a hosts of other proposals. This being New York though, that market always returns, and with towers like the Tower Verre and 56 Leonard waiting, we should expect no less.

Quote:
the developer is betting that the current fiscal misery will end before the approvals process does. “The assumption is that by the time construction starts, we’re going to be looking at a different economy,” Lloyd Kaplan, an Elad spokesman, says.

Quote:
According to a spokesman for developer Elad Properties, the images "were made at least a year ago, for publication purposes, and no longer reflect the current state of the project."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 6:26 PM
Editor

It's all a bit sad right now in the States, a lot of skyscrapers are under-construction elsewhere in the world. Only the homecountry of the highrise buildings has a low construction activity. Elesewhere there is a prosal today, and a construction site tomorrow.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 10:19 PM

because in the US you actually need financing and tenants.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 11:07 PM

Sometimes I wonder if people just ignore how many tall buildings are being built in NYC right now.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:21 PM
don't *meddle*...

i think he meant the u.s. in general. ny is and always has been an exception in terms of skyscraper construction. just look at chicago, not a single tower over 500ft is under construction right now. and it's supposed to be a skyscraper city (which it is of course). one has to admit that outside of ny there isn't pretty much going on, excluding a few scattered 200m+ projects as the devon energy tower in oklahoma.

btw, according to CTBUH there are not even 10 towers over 600ft u/c in the u.s.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 10:15 PM

Because in the US towers actually need to make some kind of fiscal sense. Look at Burj Khalifa. Exactly.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
Because in the US towers actually need to make some kind of fiscal sense. Look at Burj Khalifa. Exactly.
well thats because they have money, and its just to see who can be bigger type, theres a lot in the states that needs to be fixed up before you can ever attemp to build very tall superstructures

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi4life View Post
well thats because they have money, and its just to see who can be bigger type, theres a lot in the states that needs to be fixed up before you can ever attemp to build very tall superstructures
Most supertalls are financially bad propositions, and 80%-90% being built in other countries today will probably lose money. That will become evident when the global property bubble bursts within the next year (and were taking almost everywhere booming today except the US...China, South Korea, Brazil, Australia, Canada, the UK, the smaller Asian tigers...there are large property bubbles in all of those markets.)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 5:38 AM

The nature of real estate in a country with population density like the United States almost throws 2000 ft. buildings right out the window, recession or not. The good news is that we're switching to an information economy and people are slowly moving back into cities. We'll get our supertalls eventually.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 3:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
It's all a bit sad right now in the States, a lot of skyscrapers are under-construction elsewhere in the world.
Well, I don't know about it being sad. We've been through these cycles before, its natural. Tall building construction was primarily based in the US the last century. A lot of these buildings going up around the world are rising in areas where there is little else. The nature of American cities is that skyscrapers are built for the most part in the core or central areas of established - some would say overbuilt - cities. For that reason, a lot of approvals are often neccesary, and NIMBYism is an art form here.

That being said, whenever the market is right for a tower of this type to get under construction, things will happen.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 4:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

OK I'll say it: We don't need 2000 ft towers! It's a narrow focused sense of pride and misguided values that would use the symbolism of an overwhelming edifice to more shock than awe their own people and foreigners. It's a false representation - especially in developing countries were less than 10 kilometers away the roads aren't even paved. It's nonsensical make-up designed to convince people of a power or vibrancy. In many ways, the Nazi's chose the powerful and mysterious qualities of the swastika as a symbol for the same reasons some would want to erect a 2000 ft tower. Does this make sense or am I craving turkey a bit too much? Will this get me kicked off SSP?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
OK I'll say it: We don't need 2000 ft towers! It's a narrow focused sense of pride and misguided values that would use the symbolism of an overwhelming edifice to more shock than awe their own people and foreigners. It's a false representation - especially in developing countries were less than 10 kilometers away the roads aren't even paved. It's nonsensical make-up designed to convince people of a power or vibrancy. In many ways, the Nazi's chose the powerful and mysterious qualities of the swastika as a symbol for the same reasons some would want to erect a 2000 ft tower. Does this make sense or am I craving turkey a bit too much? Will this get me kicked off SSP?
.....you are digging too deep into this.

Yes, we need 2000 ft towers in Manhattan to create more peaks in the skyline. It looks pretty flat as is.

I've never seen it as a competition. Nobody cares about the third world cities putting up 2,000 towers (or 10,000 ft ones for as far as I care), I care about the look of Manhattan's skyline. Period.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
.....you are digging too deep into this.

Yes, we need 2000 ft towers in Manhattan to create more peaks in the skyline. It looks pretty flat as is.

I've never seen it as a competition. Nobody cares about the third world cities putting up 2,000 towers (or 10,000 ft ones for as far as I care), I care about the look of Manhattan's skyline. Period.
i will say that it is a competition to developing nations, though as for Manhattan,i love height but its just not economically practical at the moment.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:42 AM
New Yorker for life

Alright, we are getting way off topic...

It can be continued here...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=177742

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 6:52 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

I sure would love to see this tower, along with 56 Leonard built. With Beekman tower, the two proposals would add even greater variety to the skyline with unique architecture not often seen.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 4:55 PM
Editor

Of course, that tower has really cool design. I like this kind of skygarden.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
i think he meant the u.s. in general. ny is and always has been an exception in terms of skyscraper construction. just look at chicago, not a single tower over 500ft is under construction right now. and it's supposed to be a skyscraper city (which it is of course). one has to admit that outside of ny there isn't pretty much going on, excluding a few scattered 200m+ projects as the devon energy tower in oklahoma.

btw, according to CTBUH there are not even 10 towers over 600ft u/c in the u.s.
Chicago and NYC both go through spurts of construction. For years NYC was relatively stagnant; a cycle Chicago appears to be entering now.

And to stay on topic, I'd like to see something built here and 56 Leonard as well. 56 Leonard more, though. Both of these buildings, like Beekman, are different than your common office or residential tower.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 5:32 PM
BANNED

When was NYC stagnant?

NY is a much bigger city than Chicago and is a much more important business center. It also has DRAMATICALLY more international buyers (and even domestic buyers seeking second homes). Therefore, it always has had (and always will have) a lot more construction than Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 7:25 PM

This thread is about One Madison Avenue RobertWalpole.
Quit insulting Chicagoans and concentrate on the building at hand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects