HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
God forbid you contribute to the financial resources of your country.
It's a conscious decision, not only because it's cheaper. I'm also a NH taxpayer as a landowner there. And I'm putting effort and money into increasing the long term value (both from a taxable and from an economic POV) of those properties, which I could easily have acquired instead in Quebec rather than over the border. I'm hoping to be able to vote there someday. I've been a FSP member for over a decade so I'm doing what I can to contribute - and choosing to pay my gas taxes there is a little part of it.

Quote:
Too bad all Canadians don't buy gas in the US so that we can really show the government who's boss!
Actually, if we all did that, you can bet gas taxes in Canada would soon be drastically reduced...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It's a conscious decision, not only because it's cheaper. I'm also a NH taxpayer as a landowner there. And I'm putting effort and money into increasing the long term value (both from a taxable and from an economic POV) of those properties, which I could easily have acquired instead in Quebec rather than over the border. I'm hoping to be able to vote there someday. I've been a FSP member for over a decade so I'm doing what I can to contribute - and choosing to pay my gas taxes there is a little part of it.
C'est quoi FSP?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:08 PM

"Free State Project", the goal is to show through a real life example how running things with libertarian tendencies (as much as possible, realistically) can work well economically. The project aims to gather a somewhat critical mass of people who value small government and put them in the same jurisdiction; NH was chosen because it already had the basic tendency to an unintrusive government. Several FSPers have been elected to the state legislature already. I think the project is doing reasonably well overall; a good number of people have moved due to it. (Still tiny at the state level, obviously, though.)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
"Free State Project", the goal is to show through a real life example how running things with libertarian tendencies (as much as possible, realistically) can work well economically. The project aims to gather a somewhat critical mass of people who value small government and put them in the same jurisdiction; NH was chosen because it already had the basic tendency to an unintrusive government. Several FSPers have been elected to the state legislature already. I think the project is doing reasonably well overall; a good number of people have moved due to it. (Still tiny at the state level, obviously, though.)
Ahhh... yo comprendo.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 8:12 PM
I am a typical

I can't see it being too successful. I have it on good authority that New Hampshire is a drug infested den.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
I can't see it being too successful. I have it on good authority that New Hampshire is a drug infested den.
It's all that personal freedom ...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 9:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
God forbid you contribute to the financial resources of your country. Too bad all Canadians don't buy gas in the US so that we can really show the government who's boss!
At least it's an Irving station that he buys his gas at!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
At least it's an Irving station that he buys his gas at!
I almost pointed that out - surely there's a fraction of a penny per gallon that ends up in coffers somewhere in New Brunswick

However, there's a Citgo in the town as well, and sometimes that's where I fill up....... isn't that Venezuela's state-owned chain? Shame on me.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 12:29 AM
I am a typical

CITGO is half-Venezuelan, half-Russian. (50.1 to 49.9% split, respectively). But Americans don't really care about that, as long as they're getting a deal out of it. Profit before principles.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ahhh... yo comprendo.
Just so you know though, I've also been contributing economically to Quebec as well, not only through taxes but also by helping densify and beautify downtown Sherbrooke (though we could have densified it even more if the City didn't force me to turn a four-story brick centenarian building into a parking lot..... story for another day) as well as by helping multinational corporations continue their activities in Quebec by providing them with competitively-priced quality services in our field of expertise.

So, I'm not going to let myself be shamed if I also spend money on the other side of the border. (Actually, buying gas in NH is absolutely irrelevant compared to how much I spent on improving properties and by extension neighborhoods in a certain city in FL that I could've spent home instead. If you want to try to shame me, you've got a better case with that.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 10:36 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't think I was the one doing the shaming.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think I was the one doing the shaming.
No, you definitely weren't (unlike vid.) However, even though both of you are mere strangers on the internet, I find that I can't say I don't care at all about your esteem of me; I suppose there's a reasonable chance we'll get to shake hands some day. So that's why I added that explanation, for your benefit, so that you don't get the wrong impression I don't care about Quebec, which is still home. (even though I really do have a soft spot for rural NH; it seems to check all the boxes for the things I love about the Eastern Townships of Quebec, just even better.)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 5:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
No, you definitely weren't (unlike vid.) However, even though both of you are mere strangers on the internet, I find that I can't say I don't care at all about your esteem of me; I suppose there's a reasonable chance we'll get to shake hands some day. So that's why I added that explanation, for your benefit, so that you don't get the wrong impression I don't care about Quebec, which is still home. (even though I really do have a soft spot for rural NH; it seems to check all the boxes for the things I love about the Eastern Townships of Quebec, just even better.)
Awwwww.... shucks!

Serious though, I wouldn't base my esteem of you (or anyone else) on something like that.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

worthpoint

4bp

great shots of tattered taverns: https://www.flickr.com/photos/archiv...h/10292588665/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 11:21 PM

I've been in the process of buying a building in my hometown that's an old hotel that's also got a bar/tavern on the first floor. I've grown quite fond of the place now. The customers are mostly old guys. I had pickled eggs there a few days ago and confirmed they have tongues too. It's probably one of at maximum a handful of such places still operating in this city. If MolsonExport is ever near downtown Sherbrooke in the next few years, all he has to do is let me know and he'll get a few Molson Ex's and pickled eggs on me.

BTW I'm absolutely NOT the one running the bar; I wouldn't want that. (It would drastically cut my SSP Free Time!) Just being landlord to it.

So... they could choose to discontinue pickled eggs at some point, I can't promise.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Sometime, I'll take you up on that offer of Ex's and pickled eggs (who can say "no" to pickled eggs?). It has been years since I have been near Sherbrooke (my father's gravesite is in striking distance).

There used to be taverns of that sort all over the city, and even in most smaller towns. I know, I spent way too much time in them during my misspent youth (back in the mid eighties they didn't "Card" people very much, and I had fake id anyhow). Objectively they are sort of shitty, but that is part of the "charm"

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:18 PM

I miss being able to go to the US whenever I wanted. Usually crossed at Sarnia and it really was nothing more than a stop sign.

I remember all of the family driving down to Florida for March break and when we got to the border you weren't even asked for ID little alone a passport. You only got the 3 standard questions and then were told to have a nice trip.............citizenship, where you are going, and how long you will be all of which took a total of 30 seconds.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:23 PM

When you are young, you often wonder what the future will hold and what we will be doing and I was the same. There is one thing however that I never imagined............that most of the stations will still be playing the same music I was brought up in and most of the kids listen to it more than they do their modern crap.

In 50 years they will still be playing the same music I grew up with and everything post 2000 will have been long since forgotten and justifiably so. This is one of those odd memories that are not rose-coloured.............the music since the late 1990s really has been absolute crap and the music of the mid-60s to late 80s really will always be considered the "Golden Age" of music and nothing will ever change that.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:26 PM
sick transit, gloria

I love a legit old time bar with pickled eggs and terrible macro beer. My French is definitely not good enough to attempt to hang out there though. Most of them are gone now in Toronto, and the one's that survive are a bit... too grim. Lots of good dive bars still, so long as they survive the winter.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I love a legit old time bar with pickled eggs and terrible macro beer. My French is definitely not good enough to attempt to hang out there though. Most of them are gone now in Toronto, and the one's that survive are a bit... too grim. Lots of good dive bars still, so long as they survive the winter.
Places from the 80's in Toronto now gone: Canada Tavern, the Morrissey, the Jolly Miller (Yonge/York Mills), the Brunswick Tavern.

Places in KW gone....the station hotel and some other dives I recall in downtown Waterloo.

Ottawa/Gatineau..had the British Hotel, les Raftsman, and still has the Prescott and the Carleton Tavern.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/201...rs_of_toronto/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada