HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards View Post
Nice overview of some stalled projects like 325 Fremont:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-13602784.php
I think this is behind a firewall for non-subscribers. I'll summarize as best I can:

Quote:
Suits, overruns slow condo projects by Chinese developers in SF
Photo of J.K. Dineen
J.K. Dineen Feb. 9, 2019 Updated: Feb. 9, 2019 5:19 p.m.

555 Fulton St., a 139-unit condo building in Hayes Valley, has been under construction for almost five years, three times longer than it would normally take to build four stories of condos above retail.

During that time Z&L has run afoul of city planners, neighbors and elected officials. Dozens of buyers who had signed up for units walked away, as did its anchor retail tenant, grocer New Seasons of Oregon. Dozens of complaints about the project have been filed with the city’s Department of Building Inspection, most of them alleging that the developer regularly started construction work as early as 5:15 a.m. — well before the city’s legal start time of 7 a.m.

Much of the delay was caused by the developer redesigning the building’s exterior, without city permission, after it had been approved. The builder was forced to go back to the approved — and more expensive — glass exterior, which caused more than a year of delays.

. . . the project is “finalizing construction” and the developer hopes to get its temporary certificate of occupancy by the end of March, “weather permitting” . . . . (However, Sup. Vallie) Brown said the developer should not get its temporary certificate of occupancy until a lease has been signed for an affordable grocery store . . . . Hayes Valley Neighborhood Association President Gail Baugh also said the city should not give the developer a temporary certificate of occupancy if there is no deal with a grocer . . . .

Not far from 555 Fulton St. is another another Z&L-owned site: 1554 Market St., just west of Van Ness Avenue. There Z&L excavated a foundation in September 2017, only to abruptly halt construction because, the company now says, costs came in $10 million over earlier estimates.

“The project unfortunately became economically unfeasible, and no lender would fund it,” said Buckner, who added that the group is in talks with a new contractor that “has come in with a more reasonable construction budget” . . . .

Construction costs in San Francisco have more than doubled in five years — the average cost of building a new home in San Francisco is now more than $700,000, and it is even higher for high-rise buildings like the 325 Fremont St. project, which is approved for 118 condominiums in 25 stories. While the building permit for that project was obtained in September 2017, it doesn’t work economically now and there is no timetable to start construction, Buckner said.

“The majority of the Chinese developers have been challenged in that they are taking whatever customs and methods they have in China and bringing them over here,” she said. “That’s been our biggest challenge: getting them to understand that business is done differently in S.F. and the USA. The ways of doing business in China don’t work here. It’s been a big learning curve, especially if they decide to be their own general contractor” . . . .

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 6:35 PM

Nice (well not nice but you know what I mean) to finally get confirmation that 1554 Market is indeed stalled...I see it from my window and there has been literally no progress on it for what feels like a year now. Was wondering what would happen to it. I really want to see it built but was assuming it was stalled/shelved due to lack of work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:02 PM

Am I reading that right... it costs $700,000 to build a housing unit in SF???
Is that including all the entitlements, neighborhood group payoffs, lawsuits, extortion fees, etc. or just the construction materials and labor?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Nice (well not nice but you know what I mean) to finally get confirmation that 1554 Market is indeed stalled...I see it from my window and there has been literally no progress on it for what feels like a year now. Was wondering what would happen to it. I really want to see it built but was assuming it was stalled/shelved due to lack of work.
The Chinese may not be able to get money but others can, practically across the street:

Quote:
Exclusive: $300 million trailblazing housing project near Mid-Market nabs funding
By Fiona Kelliher – Real estate reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Feb 6, 2019, 5:37pm EST

Developer Strada Investment Group LLC has secured $100 million in funding for a massive six-building project near Mid-Market and Hayes Valley, potentially kicking off construction by the end of 2019.

Straddling 2 acres and nearly the full block at 12th and Market Streets, the site will include about 480 market-rate rental units and 100 affordable units, a new hall for UA Local 38 Plumbers & Pipefitters and a gut renovation of the Civic Center hotel — plus 23,000 square feet of open space to boot. The project is unusual in its mix of supportive affordable housing for formerly homeless individuals and market-rate homes.

All of that comes with a $300 million price tag . . . .

The equity provider is an institutional investor managed by Stockbridge Real Estate . . . .

David Baker Architects and Kennerly Architecture & Planning designed the redevelopment.

Strada will first kick off construction of 420 market-rate units spread across three separate buildings. Then they’ll build out the affordable units — which will be financed separately through state grant programs and Strada funding — before finally renovating the Civic Center Hotel, which will include about 60 market-rate units.

Construction is timed that way so that Civic Center Hotel residents will be able to move into the supportive affordable building without being displaced, Cohen said. Nonprofit Community Housing Partners will provide services at the site.

. . . with secure funding, the developer plans to break ground by the end of 2019, with the first buildings delivering by the end of 2021 or 2022. The whole project will take about four years to complete, with Strada maintaining a 99-year lease on the property under the union's ownership . . . .

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...-plumbers.html

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I think this is behind a firewall for non-subscribers. I'll summarize as best I can:

Thank goodness - finally some clarity on 555 Fulton. And yes, this long to bring a 4 story building online can wreak havoc on a neighborhood. Luckily Hayes Valley is very desirable, so I don't think it unduly effects demand, but this really is a pock mark on the neighborhood.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbams View Post

This reminds me somehow of the Atari logo!
bladerunner.... nice.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 5:32 AM

Quote:
New ferry gate unveiled as part of ferry expansion project
By Bay City News on February 15, 2019 10:33 am

As part of a $98 million project to expand ferry capacity on the San Francisco Bay, the second of two new ferry gates was unveiled on Thursday along the San Francisco waterfront.

The newly installed gates are part of the San Francisco Ferry Terminal Expansion Project, which aims to double the city’s downtown ferry
capacity and support increased ferry ridership, which the San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority says has doubled since 2012 . . . .

The new Gate F, located just south of the Ferry Building on The Embarcadero, serves passengers riding the Richmond and Harbor Bay routes. Gate G, which opened in December and is located in the same area as Gate F, serves passengers riding the Alameda/Oakland route . . . .

Gate E, located alongside the new gates F and G, will be rebuilt during the next year, as a public plaza is being built, in accordance with the project. The plaza is set to include weather-protected canopies, extended pedestrian promenade areas and other improvements . . . .

The project is expected to be finished by 2020.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/new-ferry-...nsion-project/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Can someone take pics of the new ferry plaza/terminals if they're around?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
there's a webcam

https://public.workzonecam.com/proje...archiveId=Home

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 5:52 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I did happen to be by there yesterday...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 6:18 PM

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing how the plaza looks once it's done and if it's utilized by the public

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 9:30 AM

a few more of the new ferry gates... they wrap around the Agricultural Building without connecting, and are raised a few feet to account for future sea level rise, I believe

I think the only way to access the new gates for the moment is from the south (the walkway in the pic in the earlier comment) - you can't walk from the Ferry Building yet, since I think gate E also has to be raised

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 3:08 PM

thanks for the updates!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:58 AM

I remember seeing the drawings - they were even posted in the area for a while - for the ferry expansion back in about 2000, and it seemed imminent then. incredible that it actually will have taken 20 years to complete the whole thing.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:34 AM

One De Haro has been completed cleared...

down the street, the housing site for CCA has more of a menagerie of equipment present now

further down the street (Carolina St, to be specific) are the two projects on the north side of Potrero Hill, or Potrero Flats. (Anchor Brewery on the left)

the 'back' of the closer one from the previous pic (the 18th St side)

through the second's passageway you can see the crane for the first

this is the arm of 1395 22nd Street that reaches down to Pennsylvania St on the east slope of Potrero Hill, but which also feels like Dogpatch

here is the view of it up 22nd St

couple views of downtown from Potrero Hill

jumping over to Second St, the new traffic signals have replaced the old ones, and things are looking a little less 'under construction'

still working on this alley

bike-specific signals

more from the new Moscone ped bridge

comparison of the new place it lands you on the south side (right), versus old place (where Webcor sign is on the upper level on left)

the one on Sixth and Shipley, just south of Folsom

Turk and Taylor has lost its shroud

near Golden Gate and Hyde, Hastings Law School expansion

I didn't realize the work on the back of the Asian Art Museum had started

the little one on Seventh near Mission finally mostly uncovered

seen in the previous shot, the Yotel/Grant Building looked open for business when I went by

... and is taking its place nicely in the area

they are still working on the back:

the little one across from the Flax site, peek through the fence

the Flax site

the BMR component of 55 Laguna, almost done

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
Am I reading that right... it costs $700,000 to build a housing unit in SF???
Is that including all the entitlements, neighborhood group payoffs, lawsuits, extortion fees, etc. or just the construction materials and labor?
And why isn't some other city in the Bay area, with a BART stop or 2, taking advantage of this, telling developers to come here or there and making it 5X easier to build something there, high rise, mid rise or whatever?

I once did a massage on someone who was opening up a store in downtown SF and I was aghast what he all had to go through just to open a store there! Lots of palm greasing, maddening red tape. So I can only imagine what a housing developer goes through!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

Haven't been to SF for many years... I have a question for you SF'ans... Is any effort being made to make the perimeter around the Mint building off of Market look better? I remember it looking like a prison and remarkably out of place for where it was situated and I see on google streetview it doesn't look much different.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:40 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Haven't been to SF for many years... I have a question for you SF'ans... Is any effort being made to make the perimeter around the Mint building off of Market look better? I remember it looking like a prison and remarkably out of place for where it was situated and I see on google streetview it doesn't look much different.
I think it looks uniquely cool as it is!

The Duboce bikeway looks beter with its upgrades, but it will be redevelopment of the huge Safeway parcel that greatly enhances the entire area. As to when the much needed housing (five buildings, including a new Safeway, if I remember correctly) happens is anybody’s guess now.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

I disagree/ I think the tall barbed wire fences really look bad. The best solution would be to build a very attractive stone wall with decorative wrought iron at the top. It would cost a bundle, but it is a mint afterall

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:49 PM

That new Moscone walkway is looking nice! Thanks as always Timbad! Looks like you walked a ton for all of those photos

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations