HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
That building was just renovated. It's the new Eastlink store.

Yes it is prime real estate and doesn't look all that great, but it's a massive improvement over the dump that was Dairy Queen.
I've found pictures on previous pages. You are right: it is a vast improvement over the former DQ.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 8:00 PM

Any news on who the tenants will be for the retail space? Or did I miss that somewhere?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 8:34 PM

Trinity Jeweler's and a chocolate store are the only ones I have heard of.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:38 AM
ARTchitecture

Nice looking tower! Good job Halifax

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:25 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Trinity Jeweler's and a chocolate store are the only ones I have heard of.
Yes, I have information on the chocolate store going in there. Apparantly it'll likely be called "Jill's Chocolates" and will be selling chocolates, coffee and tea. In the summer time they will sell ice cream.

It sounds like a nice little upscale boutique store.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is a nice shot of the Trillium from South Park Street: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbins...n/photostream/

It turned out okay I guess. The Victoria Park area is definitely more downtown-like than it was a few years ago.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 7:11 PM
Fizzix geek

Was walking past this on the way to dinner on Saturday night...

Some windows were lit up, so it is possible that people have started to move in? Does anyone know if this is true?

I did notice as well that the upward facing accent lighting was on. First time I had seen it!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, I would be very interested to see a nighttime shot of the building. The lighting was shown in renderings but, well, those don't always show what the end product will look like. Do they have accent lighting for the storefronts and upper levels, particularly the crown?

Halifax is kind of lacking when it comes to lighting. Barrington in particular comes off as a strip of dark storefronts and dull orange sodium haze.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 8:44 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Barrington in particular comes off as a strip of dark storefronts and dull orange sodium haze.
Soon to be in a not very bright white LED haze.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:14 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Soon to be in a not very bright white LED haze.
Not to go off topic for more than this post but is Barrington going to get the old style lamp post lighting or the standard fixture? Do the LED even come in other types?

Anyway, I am also looking forward to some nighttime shots. I'm back to work in Jan. and will resume taking pictures of our projects again.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One popular type of decorative LED lighting consists of vertical strips on poles. That's what they installed along Granville Street in Vancouver after it was redesigned. I'm not sure if that would suit Barrington.

Apparently the Carsand-Mosher building has some decorative lighting now. I haven't been back in about a year and a half and I'm getting out of touch. I would guess the street is going to improve a lot soon, judging by projects like that, Espace, and so on. For a long time there were almost no projects like that on Barrington.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:11 PM

There are actually some LED lights already along barrington around Scotia Square. They are very similar to the old style of light and work well with the street.

The Carsand Mosher building has decorative LED lighting as does the Discovery centre and the Freak Lunch Box building. Last I was speaking with Starfish they had said they planned to do something similar to all of the buildings on barrington once they are complete.

As far as the Trillium goes, I think the uplighting looks great. Right now its only on the 3 sides of the building and only on the main block of the massing. Nothing above the setback and nothing along the street.

I'd also mention that all of the lighthouses are on site sitting in one of the storefronts and damn do they look bad.....

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
There are actually some LED lights already along barrington around Scotia Square. They are very similar to the old style of light and work well with the street.

The Carsand Mosher building has decorative LED lighting as does the Discovery centre and the Freak Lunch Box building. Last I was speaking with Starfish they had said they planned to do something similar to all of the buildings on barrington once they are complete.

As far as the Trillium goes, I think the uplighting looks great. Right now its only on the 3 sides of the building and only on the main block of the massing. Nothing above the setback and nothing along the street.

I'd also mention that all of the lighthouses are on site sitting in one of the storefronts and damn do they look bad.....
So, the Daleks have arrived.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

What are the chances that these lighthouses could be removed if not received well by the public? Anyone want to join my group? Friends against Lighthouses in the Trillium Building.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:35 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
What are the chances that these lighthouses could be removed if not received well by the public? Anyone want to join my group? Friends against Lighthouses in the Trillium Building.
Sign me up

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:52 PM

The downtown association here in Calgary and the City (at the Municipal Building) have really great light displays that look amazing.
Someone filmed a video of the lights on Stephen Avenue in DT - they are really cool because they look like snow falling when you walk down the street.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:17 PM

The lighthouses are definitely going to be embarrrassing!
Coud have done so much better...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:22 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
@#$% I had forgotten about those bloody lighthouses... or maybe had just repressed it. That is SUCH a missed opportunity. Public art can be a huge defining influence on an area, and we had a chance here to do something that made a "statement". Instead the statement is "the best we could do is chintzy light-houses that we picked up on sale for $5.99 at Murphy's-on-the-water".

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I haven't seen them. I guess we should wait until they're up, but I am tired of how everything in Halifax needs a one-dimensional, literal nautical theme. It's also pretty clear that there may be better ways to go about this than to demand that each new condo building have some sort of statue-like thing out front costing 1% of its overall budget or whatever it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the budget for this was something like $100,000...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I haven't seen them. I guess we should wait until they're up, but I am tired of how everything in Halifax needs a one-dimensional, literal nautical theme. It's also pretty clear that there may be better ways to go about this than to demand that each new condo building have some sort of statue-like thing out front costing 1% of its overall budget or whatever it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the budget for this was something like $100,000...
It could've been a statue of a wave...? Personally, I like really interesting pieces of art that make you stop and say WTF!? But then you think, it's kinda cool and move on.

This for example made me ask the WTF question - but when you see it lit up at night; it's really cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth