HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliwood View Post
IMO, that's the only angle where the building looks decent. The view from the Public Gardens is a complete eye-sore.
Just wait until the lighthouses get installed in front of the doors, that'll really help the appearance from this angle....

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 3:40 PM

F16

You obviously do not live in the city and/or have not seen the building in person. This angle may not be as offensive as the public gardens angle but is still hideous nonetheless. The photo really does not pick up the clashing colour scheme of the green glass bands and pinkish metal on the window bays. Not to mention that no two elements of this building relate to each other. And the Tim Horton drive-thru slider windows and the giant cake on top - well that just gives the anti-development crowd loads of ammunition.

Wait until you see the back complete, when the green bands climb to the top and the bay windows to the left are clad in pinkish metal. Yikes.

My four-year old daughter thinks the glass curtain wall on the back of the building will look like stacked oreo cookies with green peppermint filling. No kidding. In person it actually does look like that. Same as the front. But worse.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 7:21 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM View Post
F16

You obviously do not live in the city and/or have not seen the building in person. This angle may not be as offensive as the public gardens angle but is still hideous nonetheless. The photo really does not pick up the clashing colour scheme of the green glass bands and pinkish metal on the window bays. Not to mention that no two elements of this building relate to each other. And the Tim Horton drive-thru slider windows and the giant cake on top - well that just gives the anti-development crowd loads of ammunition.

Wait until you see the back complete, when the green bands climb to the top and the bay windows to the left are clad in pinkish metal. Yikes.

My four-year old daughter thinks the glass curtain wall on the back of the building will look like stacked oreo cookies with green peppermint filling. No kidding. In person it actually does look like that. Same as the front. But worse.
Well, that's your opinion. I like it.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 10:10 PM

Do you live here? Have you actually seen it in person?

It is not only my opinion that this thing is hideous. Haven't you read the other comments here?

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 12:24 AM

I remember walking by the other week and feeling disappointed in how it's turning out. The materials used really do clash. I recall that at least the street level along the brick side seems to work. I have hope that that will at least be successful. It's funny, the Trillium and Vic both went through the approval process around the same time. At that point, I thought the Vic's kitchen sink of materials would end up making it the ugly one, but the Vic is turning out better than I expected while the Trillium is going the opposite way.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 1:15 AM

I would have liked to see it with the mirrored glass all the way from the top to the brick looks rather cheap , I would be mad if I pre-bought one of those units !
Hope it comes togeather in the end , guess we'll soon see....

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 2:15 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Do you live here? Have you actually seen it in person?

It is not only my opinion that this thing is hideous. Haven't you read the other comments here?
Yeah, I saw it yesterday. I don't even know what you are going on about with the pink metal? Can you show me some visual evidence?

I'm assuming that there needs to be glass railings for every balcony section and the entire crown still needs to be glassed.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:24 PM

Anyone who is defending this building, go to the Public Gardens and look at this thing. Or stand by Subway on SGR and take a glance from that angle.

It's an abortion. It looks slightly nice driving up South Park towards SGR, but that is basically the ONLY angle it looks passable.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:47 PM
Urban Thinker

Why can't everybody just accept that some people like it and others don't? Your opinion isn't the only one you know

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
Why can't everybody just accept that some people like it and others don't? Your opinion isn't the only one you know
I agree. Would you rather this, or a hole in the ground? Which as many of you know, Halifax has plenty of those.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 8:02 PM

I'd have to agree as well. While I don't like the material and colour choices, in the end the density and getting more people in the area is what I look at. It's doing a good job of that and I'm happy with that. The actual appearance - meh, I like somethings and not others.

Let's face it - any building that is built in Halifax is going to have people on either end of the 'taste' spectrum and many in the middle.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Anyone who is defending this building, go to the Public Gardens and look at this thing. Or stand by Subway on SGR and take a glance from that angle.

It's an abortion. It looks slightly nice driving up South Park towards SGR, but that is basically the ONLY angle it looks passable.

Its not quite what I expected but its not that bad geeech...I've seen a lot worse.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Its not quite what I expected but its not that bad geeech...I've seen a lot worse.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

I'm not a big fan of the brick base but the upper part is mostly pleasant to the eye especially from the parking lots (East view) and Victoria Park (south-east view in particular).

As evident from the shear number of photos I took it does look pretty good from the Public Gardens and if the Dairy Queen lot is redeveloped with some height it will look even better.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:41 AM
we built this city

The brick base adds a good cohesion to the area. I mean, the crown could be a total disaster, but it all depends on whether the glass comes up from the base to match that overhanging steel.

Ultimately, the colour point is moot given the horrible colour scheme of the Martello. If anything, the Trillium makes it appear to be more of a motif than a singular mistake.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 7:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
(...) if the Dairy Queen lot is redeveloped with some height it will look even better.
Speaking of which, does anyone know what's going on with the former Dairy Queen lot--and even the immediate surrounds lots? To the building's right, there is a hole in the ground...and behind there are a few houses (most of which look beaten up).

It would be incredible to see that entire corner re-developed.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 10:59 AM

An Eastlink outlet is going into the former DQ space. I think the empty lot to the left of the DQ building and the lots from the DQ building to the Trillium are all owned by the same person(s). It seems reasonable to assume the owner(s) of these lots must have offered a small fortune to the family that owns the DQ building to obviously create a proper consolidated building lot.

Can anyone weigh in on the correctness of this?

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
An Eastlink outlet is going into the former DQ space. I think the empty lot to the left of the DQ building and the lots from the DQ building to the Trillium are all owned by the same person(s). It seems reasonable to assume the owner(s) of these lots must have offered a small fortune to the family that owns the DQ building to obviously create a proper consolidated building lot.

Can anyone weigh in on the correctness of this?
The buildings immediately to the east and south of DQ that form an L-shape around it are owned by the same property owner and there were rumors swirling a while ago about him trying to buy the DQ site, but was planning to build around it if he couldn't. The two buildings north of the Trillium are one owner, and the other on the stretch is a different owner. So there are three owners of the buildings between the Trillium and DQ unfortunately.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 7:50 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath for the DQ building to be sold. The old guy that owns it is said to be "difficult" to deal with and is in no hurry to make things happen.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 8:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
An Eastlink outlet is going into the former DQ space.
OH my...how wonderful.......

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
OH my...how wonderful.......
If the right price comes along...he'll let it go.
He knows it and we know it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth