HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1201  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:56 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
INformed before INdignant
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada's asterisk
Posts: 51,928
Winnipeg were beasts.

It actually wasn't that un-entertaining a game when you consider just how dominating the winning team was.

Probably because Hamilton always seemed that they might be on the verge of coming back into the game a bit more, but then they'd fall short. (Literally in a few cases.)
__________________
"Tout ce qui est exagéré est insignifiant." - Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1202  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:04 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 29,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Winnipeg were beasts.

It actually wasn't that un-entertaining a game when you consider just how dominating the winning team was.

Probably because Hamilton always seemed that they might be on the verge of coming back into the game a bit more, but then they'd fall short. (Literally in a few cases.)
I was wondering how non Bomber/Ticat fans might have viewed the game because it definitely was not the usual see saw Grey Cup battle with multiple lead changes, etc. I mean, I was happy to see the Bombers in command for the entire game but it was probably still interesting to the impartial viewer in that it wasn't a blowout either. The Bombers pulled away in the 4th but it's not like the game was totally over at halftime.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1203  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:29 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,219
To bad Hamilton didn't show up.

Decent game overall.

There is something fucking magical about all the different jerseys in the crowd cheering for different teams.
__________________
Lana. Lana. Lana? LANA! Danger Zone
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1204  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:34 PM
25grapes's Avatar
25grapes 25grapes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was wondering how non Bomber/Ticat fans might have viewed the game because it definitely was not the usual see saw Grey Cup battle with multiple lead changes, etc. I mean, I was happy to see the Bombers in command for the entire game but it was probably still interesting to the impartial viewer in that it wasn't a blowout either. The Bombers pulled away in the 4th but it's not like the game was totally over at halftime.
I thought for the first 25 minutes of play the Ticats defence was holding up to Winnipeg's (not causing turnovers but only allowing 7 pts off 4 turnovers) but were then exposed and the Bomber's offence essentially did whatever they wanted.

As a non-fan of either team I found the game to be OK only based on the Ticats play, the Bombers definitely looked and played like a Grey Cup winning team.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1205  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:36 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
To bad Hamilton didn't show up.
I've read this several times, they showed up, they just met a team that wouldn't be denied. Hamilton would get some momentum going and on the next set of downs the Bombers would again regain the initiative. Might have been a closer outcome had the TiCats Mike Jones caught that ball, but the Bombers wouldn't be denied.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1206  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:38 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It actually wasn't that un-entertaining a game when you consider just how dominating the winning team was.

Probably because Hamilton always seemed that they might be on the verge of coming back into the game a bit more, but then they'd fall short.
I never thought it was over, until it was
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1207  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:56 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 29,065
I can sympathize with the Ticat fans out there, what they experienced last night is sort of what the Bombers went through in 2001 when a totally stacked, powerhouse 14-4 Bomber team charged through the regular season and just came up flat in the big game vs. the 8-10 Stamps.

It's such a headscratcher when a super strong team just drops the ball in the playoffs. But I guess it isn't all that uncommon either when you have one game to decide every round.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1208  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:03 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can sympathize with the Ticat fans out there, what they experienced last night is sort of what the Bombers went through in 2001 when a totally stacked, powerhouse 14-4 Bomber team charged through the regular season and just came up flat in the big game vs. the 8-10 Stamps.

It's such a headscratcher when a super strong team just drops the ball in the playoffs. But I guess it isn't all that uncommon either when you have one game to decide every round.
I still don't see why people didn't see the Bombers as a formidable foe (aside from the QB situation) They had the season slump at the perfect time and when I saw Collaros and Streveler both playing I thought they would win it all especially later against a rookie QB like Evans. The game didn't surprise me at all, not saying I expected it but it played out pretty much how I thought it might. I was the one going after the Winnipeg naysayers earlier and it's not like they were my team (although they became it) partly because of that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1209  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:15 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 29,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I still don't see why people didn't see the Bombers as a formidable foe (aside from the QB situation) They had the season slump at the perfect time and when I saw Collaros and Streveler both playing I thought they would win it all especially later against a rookie QB like Evans. The game didn't surprise me at all, not saying I expected it but it played out pretty much how I thought it might. I was the one going after the Winnipeg naysayers earlier and it's not like they were my team (although they became it) partly because of that.
A bit of hindsight there, I think you might have forgotten what it was like for us Bomber fans when the team lost 5 of 7 down the stretch before they put in Collaros to start the last game vs. Calgary. The season was in freefall until Collaros basically saved us.

No question that the Bombers were red hot heading into the Grey Cup, but surely Hamilton fans would have been feeling the confidence of going 15-3 (which is a rare accomplishment) and coming off a dominant division final win.

I mean, I was pretty confident in the Bombers’ chances but picking the Cats would have been totally legitimate too. They were favoured by the oddsmakers, after all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1210  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:24 PM
25grapes's Avatar
25grapes 25grapes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's such a headscratcher when a super strong team just drops the ball in the playoffs. But I guess it isn't all that uncommon either when you have one game to decide every round.
Lot's of teams choke for various reasons but I found watching last night that the lack of experience in both QB and Coaching for Hamilton was profoundly obvious vs the experienced Winnipeg side.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1211  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:33 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 29,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Lot's of teams choke for various reasons but I found watching last night that the lack of experience in both QB and Coaching for Hamilton was profoundly obvious vs the experienced Winnipeg side.
Looking back at it, for sure. But I doubt many people were heading into that game thinking "man, Steinhauer and Evans are about to get brutally exposed."

And if anyone did, please post pics of your winning bet receipts so we can marvel at your savvy and ask you for tips next season
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1212  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:00 PM
25grapes's Avatar
25grapes 25grapes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 380
I have to address something about the TSN coverage that really left a sour taste in my mouth for the entire night. And more this Grey Cup than in previous years. This year because I have young children, I couldn't watch the pregame coverage until about 4:30 ET. Just in time to witness Brian freaking Williams mumble out of retirement to essentially mock the commissioner, league, and it's fans 90 minutes before kickoff of essentially the crown jewel of Canadian sports. I'm all for discussing the issues surrounding the league as we do it on a weekly basis about 48 weeks of the year in this forum. But an hour and a half before the game starts as many casual fans are probably starting fill their plates at home to tune in and have to listen to that crap. For whatever reason I found it more embarrassing this year than ever, but maybe Williams' tone and demeanor this year was more sarcastic and attacking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1213  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:07 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 29,065
^ Yeah, it's pointless. We get it, they need to figure out a way to bring fans back in Toronto, they need new owners in some other city, etc. It's kind of the same stuff rehashed year after year. But is an hour before kickoff of the championship game really the time to get into that?

I just can't imagine Goodell or Bettman agreeing to be harangued by TV guys about attendance issues or whatever right before the Super Bowl/Stanley Cup finals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1214  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:21 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, it's pointless. We get it, they need to figure out a way to bring fans back in Toronto, they need new owners in some other city, etc. It's kind of the same stuff rehashed year after year. But is an hour before kickoff of the championship game really the time to get into that?

I just can't imagine Goodell or Bettman agreeing to be harangued by TV guys about attendance issues or whatever right before the Super Bowl/Stanley Cup finals.
I thought it was a bit much for Brian Williams to get his answer about Toronto -that the commissioner considers it an opportunity - and then to sniff that in fact it’s a “disaster”. It was getting to be more like a personal debate than an interview. His stat that participation in football at the high school level is down 40% was also apparently wrong.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1215  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:29 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 24,072
Congrats Bombers! that was a pretty dominate performance! Lots of drunk bomber fans around all weekend, guess they deserved it lol.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1216  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:45 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
I have to address something about the TSN coverage that really left a sour taste in my mouth for the entire night. And more this Grey Cup than in previous years. This year because I have young children, I couldn't watch the pregame coverage until about 4:30 ET. Just in time to witness Brian freaking Williams mumble out of retirement to essentially mock the commissioner, league, and it's fans 90 minutes before kickoff of essentially the crown jewel of Canadian sports. I'm all for discussing the issues surrounding the league as we do it on a weekly basis about 48 weeks of the year in this forum. But an hour and a half before the game starts as many casual fans are probably starting fill their plates at home to tune in and have to listen to that crap. For whatever reason I found it more embarrassing this year than ever, but maybe Williams' tone and demeanor this year was more sarcastic and attacking.
He does it every year, the same as Ron MacLean attacks Gary Bettman at the all star game, except in that case more people don't like Bettman than those that see MacLean being a dick.

Brian Williams has always been a suck so that's nothing new and it isn't just because of what he did yesterday, aside from the fact he does it every year and he's been a dick about a million other things in other sports.

The fact that TSN knew that he would do that (and about their crown jewel) makes me wonder what was going on there. I have no idea why TSN would still employ this man.

He was also uninformed about the Als situation, we do know there are people genuinely interested, it's just gonna take time to sort out the details.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1217  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:49 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I just can't imagine Goodell or Bettman agreeing to be harangued by TV guys about attendance issues or whatever right before the Super Bowl/Stanley Cup finals.
As I posted above Ron MacLean is an ahole to Bettman every year at the All Star game.

I am actually quite surprised at the amount of people who I've talked to think the same as I about totally losing respect for Ron MacLean about Don Cherry. They seem to also recall about how Cherry saved his ass and got MacLean a big raise at CBC when they were both about to get canned, IIRC. That was a while back so pardon my memory.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1218  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:12 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,391
One complaint I have about the broadcast (and from what I've read many viewers feel this way): having Keith Urban in the booth for so much of the 3rd quarter detracted from the game, especially with Suitor fawning over him. It was awkward and distracting.

The Grey Cup is the crown jewel of the CFL season. TSN should not be diverting viewer attention like that while the game is being played.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1219  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:18 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
One complaint I have about the broadcast (and from what I've read many viewers feel this way): having Keith Urban in the booth for so much of the 3rd quarter detracted from the game, especially with Suitor fawning over him. It was awkward and distracting.

The Grey Cup is the crown jewel of the CFL season. TSN should not be diverting viewer attention like that while the game is being played.
I had no problem with that at all. It exposed the game to his legions of fans if they stuck around after the half time show. They should do that with every half time artist. Had the game been critically closer I might have wanted to get rid of him earlier but I think it was great PR for the league.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1220  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:51 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I had no problem with that at all. It exposed the game to his legions of fans if they stuck around after the half time show. They should do that with every half time artist. Had the game been critically closer I might have wanted to get rid of him earlier but I think it was great PR for the league.
Should definitely have been kept shorter. Or only done between plays.

Also seemed very off the cuff, hence the awkwardness. I give Urban credit for being a good sport about that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:42 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.