HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Also to be fair when the annex part of Eaton Place was demolished to make way for MTS centre, we lost almost half the retailers and spaces.. 45 or more...
There was actually a small window of time where the annex was slated for conversion to MPI retail office space. If I recall correctly the few remaining tenants were relocated to the south side and some renovations had started.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 3:16 PM

^ It hasn't been that long, but I only have the faintest memories of that annex space. Anyone know of any photos floating around online?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It hasn't been that long, but I only have the faintest memories of that annex space. Anyone know of any photos floating around online?
Photos or layout would be great. I was trying to piece it together the other day but the memory is foggy. A&W was in there, a small coffee shop on the west side and a florist if I recall. Other than that, the memory has faded.

Was also trying to place how cityplace (Eaton Place) was back with Johnathon's resto in the centre court main floor.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:15 PM

Re True North Square vs. portage and main, Richardson and Chipman both spoke about longer term synergies for the downtown. Portage and Main has needed a kick in the ass for years and this competition will force it to change and compete. Richardson is in for the long term at both locations and will be investing more if the research facility gets going. Not that he has been the real problem down there.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:19 PM

On the Eaton's annex. This image is from 2002. Is the annex the lower level along north side of Graham Ave? Where the dark tee is located? I apologize I have very little recollection of Eaton's. I was a young pup when it was shuttered.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:29 PM

^ Yes, you're right bomberjet. The existing skywalk used to have windowless shops on the outside and just one corridor on the inside... IIRC it basically felt like a seamless extension of the mall. It fed into the two-storey annex, which essentially had a Y-shaped layout that fed into entrances at the southwest and southeast corners of the Eaton's store. It was probably built around the time that Eaton Place was developed, in the mid 70s.

There were also shops on the main floor, and I seem to vaguely remember that the Eaton's basement food floor also had a passage to the annex, perhaps just a small basement corridor?

I'll see if I can find some pics.

EDIT: Here's an exterior shot of the annex from the Winnipeg Building Index... the same skywalk exists today, only reclad

In the main building, here's a shot of the restaurant ofthemoon was asking about... I remember it as Mr. Greenjeans

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:39 PM

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Google " eaton place stores Winnipeg ". Then click on the one photo with the skywalk ( old one ). After that click on more images. You will end up with a bunch of interior shots of the old seven plea theatres in it etc. Karate Kid 3 was playing lol

And from my own travels as a teen there I remember a Petland. Hans Christian. A weird import store with joke themed items. A Jeweler. A watch kiosk. A fur coat store. Hmv.

From walking from the actual eatons building it has a slight slope. And as you mentioned two halls that then came to one hall. Oh there was also a shoe shine guy on the east hallway. I used to sit and watch him lol.
It was actually a pretty cool mall. Had everything.

Oh ya. And an arcade. I think it was called Excaliber?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:03 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Oh man, that theatre at Eaton Place was awful. I remember seeing a movie there, but I can't remember which one it was.

Most people with a ~60" screen and some form of surround sound have a better quality movie experience than was offered at Eaton Place!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Google " eaton place stores Winnipeg ". Then click on the one photo with the skywalk ( old one ). After that click on more images. You will end up with a bunch of interior shots of the old seven plea theatres in it etc. Karate Kid 3 was playing lol
I couldn't seem to find it... can you post a link? I'm dying to see those now.

My experience at the Eaton Place cinemas was similar to drew's... looking back, the theatres were comically small. Although I guess Cineplex was experimenting with that format in the late 70s/early 80s because I remember going to see a movie at the Eaton Centre Cineplex in Toronto which was of a similar vintage and I don't think the theatres were much bigger there.

Edit: Here's one... can you remote link to these? This is the only vintage pic I found.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ Oh man, that theatre at Eaton Place was awful. I remember seeing a movie there, but I can't remember which one it was.

Most people with a ~60" screen and some form of surround sound have a better quality movie experience than was offered at Eaton Place!
Trying to recall the movies I saw there. Pretty sure I saw Escape from New York in that theatre. I was a teen in the early 80's so it was cool to come downtown, record stores, arcades and all.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:21 PM

^ Yeah EP was historically a thriving retail outlet, hung out at Green Jeans for coffee as well..
The connectivity of Eaton's and EP is what made it work...

...Transitioning back to present day, CP can only benifit, for a large scale residential development going up next door, Some modifications to the the street level connectivity and the Sky Walk addition from TNS Square and we could see some life in the old dog yet..

Last edited by Cyro; Feb 26, 2016 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:28 PM

^ What is often overlooked too is that the retail component of Cityplace is a trivial amount of the overall floorspace which is mostly devoted to offices, so it's hardly surprising that the landlord wouldn't spend too much time fussing over the retail selection.

That said, I do expect to see a few new retailers setting up shop in the mall once TNS starts opening up. Nothing dramatic, but the really low-rent tenants (like Asia Gifts, the surly key cutter guy, etc.) will make way for at least recognizable shops.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Photos or layout would be great. I was trying to piece it together the other day but the memory is foggy. A&W was in there, a small coffee shop on the west side and a florist if I recall. Other than that, the memory has faded.

Was also trying to place how cityplace (Eaton Place) was back with Johnathon's resto in the centre court main floor.
From 1979 to 1986..EATON PLACE was The premiere and then the foremost Fashion mall in the city. Until Polo and St Vital added some better shops in 1986 and after.... also Portage Place drained it.
A shoppers paradise... Eaton's Downtown had fabulous clothes, huge assortment plus some very high ends lines.
They carried The Nolan Miller Dynasty collection amongst many other high ends designers, gorgeous furnishings and accents..
Eaton Place , At its peak there were 110 shops and services... Le Chateau was so busy they used to have security on a Saturday. Sometimes you had to wait to gain entry.. There was Capezio shoes, Aggies shoes, Agnew-Surpass, Maher shoes. VERA fashion cinema, a fine lady's boutique with the up to the minute trends in Europe an N America, .. other high end women's wear.. Mannequin, Chantal, Naty I and II... middle of the road.. Sanjusha, Cleo, The Loft, P3, Ricki's, Mariposa ,Savannah, Irene Hill, Leather Attic, Pennington's plus more.. several unisex shops, Men's stores were : Jack Fraser, Black Sheep, Cruse's plus others like Benetton, le Chateau.. There was HMV, a great toy store on 2, Black's Photo, once was Astral...Other places to eat, du Bon Gout, Jonathan's used to be The Palm originally...Mr. GreenJeans towards St. Mary's then became Pasta la Vista now B Pizza, so many others I have lost track. Yes ,A & W moved from the annex to The Main building along with CIBC. There was a BMO branch as well in the main Building. The Medical clinic has expanded.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Feb 26, 2016 at 9:49 PM. Reason: added details

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
the surly key cutter guy

Last edited by Cyro; Feb 26, 2016 at 5:46 PM. Reason: edit code

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
^ What is often overlooked too is that the retail component of Cityplace is a trivial amount of the overall floorspace which is mostly devoted to offices, so it's hardly surprising that the landlord wouldn't spend too much time fussing over the retail selection.

That said, I do expect to see a few new retailers setting up shop in the mall once TNS starts opening up. Nothing dramatic, but the really low-rent tenants (like Asia Gifts, the surly key cutter guy, etc.) will make way for at least recognizable shops.
The key shop is the last remnant of Eaton's. His shop use to be up on the top floor and when Eaton's started to shrink he ended up down on the main floor on the S/E corner (old camera location) next to the City Place annex.

They do a lot of business for companies in the area with office door locks and cutting keys for all the different office furniture (file cabinets, mod furniture bread baskets etc)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:45 PM

^^^^ I agree, nothing in the high-end spectrum, but the type of outlets that could service hundreds of 24/7 residents next door, throwing in the office workers as well during the day.

..Although, as I believe you mentioned, the Man.Hydro Bldg. hasn't exactly created much of a demand in that regard..

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:50 PM

Thanks for all the info. Landlord of City Place being MPI. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually, they completely shut the mall. Converted to offices and maintained the skywalk on the west side next to Shark Club/foodcourt.

Does MPI really have any incentive to get the retail back up and running? They, by default, acquired a shopping mall. Not trying to be a downer. Just seems to be the way they've been leaning.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The key shop is the last remnant of Eaton's. His shop use to be up on the top floor and when Eaton's started to shrink he ended up down on the main floor on the S/E corner (old camera location) next to the City Place annex.

They do a lot of business for companies in the area with office door locks and cutting keys for all the different office furniture (file cabinets, mod furniture bread baskets etc)
I had no idea... very interesting. I think I remember his shop on the main floor of Eaton's.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Landlord of City Place being MPI. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually, they completely shut the mall. Converted to offices and maintained the skywalk on the west side next to Shark Club/foodcourt.

Does MPI really have any incentive to get the retail back up and running? They, by default, acquired a shopping mall. Not trying to be a downer. Just seems to be the way they've been leaning.
I think this is the long term trendline. In 25 years I doubt there will be much there beyond a food court and a couple of small shops.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan