HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:16 AM
Kittle Kittle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
It may be premature of me to say this but so far it’s looking pretty sad.
I agree with you 100%. Out of all the buildings that have varied from their rendering, this one is probably the worst from what we have so far.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 12:31 PM
NS Bayman NS Bayman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Halifax
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsales View Post
This will only be five floors and an addition to the existing. Mostly a new restaurant, convention room, etc
While not five floors, Metasales was close by predicting that the final product would be very little like the original rendering (April 2018).

Unfortunately I have to drive by this ivory tower every time I come into the city. I suspect that the project lost a lot of money somewhere along the line due to construction delays. I remember that nothing was done at this site for a long time after it was initially excavated.

If the drab Canadiana restaurant was any indicator, I guess the style of this tower meets my expectations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:29 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 898
How do companies apply for a construction permit and then not build to specifications? I would assume that a permit for 28fl was taken out for this site?

Same question would go for the 32fl Quinpool rd development if anything comes of that one...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:54 PM
Saul Goode Saul Goode is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 118
Nice! Looks like cheap-ass 1970s public housing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:05 PM
Dartguard Dartguard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Bayman View Post
While not five floors, Metasales was close by predicting that the final product would be very little like the original rendering (April 2018).

Unfortunately I have to drive by this ivory tower every time I come into the city. I suspect that the project lost a lot of money somewhere along the line due to construction delays. I remember that nothing was done at this site for a long time after it was initially excavated.

If the drab Canadiana restaurant was any indicator, I guess the style of this tower meets my expectations.
The owner of that restaurant has had some recent serious Federal Tax trouble . I imagine resources were directed to the recent CRA ruling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:49 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
How do companies apply for a construction permit and then not build to specifications? I would assume that a permit for 28fl was taken out for this site?

Same question would go for the 32fl Quinpool rd development if anything comes of that one...
Companies do have to build according to the construction permit. These can be altered after being approved but in this case the permit details was never made public so we had no idea the scale of the project until the rendering was made public.
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 8:19 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Companies do have to build according to the construction permit. These can be altered after being approved but in this case the permit details was never made public so we had no idea the scale of the project until the rendering was made public.
My understanding is that will soon change though. HRM is rolling out a new online platform that will allow anyone to access all permits for any given site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 8:25 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
My understanding is that will soon change though. HRM is rolling out a new online platform that will allow anyone to access all permits for any given site.
That is great. It is pretty opaque right now. Ideally there would be a map view that shows associated permits.

I realize that sharing info for enthusiasts on the internet is not the primary goal for the municipality but this would be good for residents too.

When I lived there, I used to find it somewhat frustrating how everything was based on the neighbourhood people lived in (the councillors only wanted to hear from their constituents, there were community councils that made decisions, and the notices would be paper letters sent in a geographical area). Many people spend time in areas they don't live in, for example if they work or go to school somewhere, and lots of places have regional significance.

There are those horror stories about developers demolishing buildings that still have tenants in them which take the cake for poor information and bad planning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:12 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
My understanding is that will soon change though. HRM is rolling out a new online platform that will allow anyone to access all permits for any given site.
Halifax Building Permits and Explore HRM (with the building permit layer turned on) used together provide this information nowadays. It's my go-to for information and its updated weekly.

Unfortunately the permit for this project is only on Explore HRM which does not state the # of floors. This is what its says for this site;

Application #: 173492
Issued Date (d m y): 24 07 2019
Declared Value: 25688800
Existing Dwelling Units: 0
Total End Units: 0
Civic Number: 15
Street Name: LAKELANDS
Street Type: BLVD
Community: HALIFAX
PID: 40619280
Activity Type: CONSTRUCT COMMERCIAL BUILDING
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 12:00 PM
Franco401 Franco401 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Nice! Looks like cheap-ass 1970s public housing.
It looks considerably worse than that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:29 PM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 310
This is definitely NOT one of my "I told you so" moments. I'm not happy to be right about this being topped out. It's amazing how so much can go wrong in just a week of construction...

I'd love to see some council opinions on this. I guess the renderings were just for show?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:02 PM
Saul Goode Saul Goode is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I'd love to see some council opinions on this. I guess the renderings were just for show?
Truly! Talk about bait and switch...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:12 PM
Good Baklava's Avatar
Good Baklava Good Baklava is offline
Somewhat Pretentious
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
It looks considerably worse than that.
Haha is this part of the latest Rapid Housing Initiative?
__________________
Haligonian in exile.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:17 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I'd love to see some council opinions on this. I guess the renderings were just for show?
This was as of right so no council was involved in this development.

Would still be interesting to hear what they had to say though or if they were even aware of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 5:48 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,294
I find it disappointing as well. But even more interesting is the letdown experienced here due to an illustration on a placard that predicted a world-class appearing tower in Bayers Lake park. It seemed too good to be true at the time, and in the long run it proved to be just that.

Meanwhile, if they had not posted that illustration, nobody would have batted an eye at it...

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:51 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,495
I've fixed the thread title to match reality.


Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 4:23 PM
kzt79 kzt79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Word on the street is blasting costs were unexpected and way over budget. Might explain the brutal scaling down of this project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:09 PM
mleblanc mleblanc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
Word on the street is blasting costs were unexpected and way over budget. Might explain the brutal scaling down of this project.
What kind of respectable developer would plan a 28 storey hotel before not doing engineering assessments on the rock they are going to be building on? I'm still amazed at how this was allowed to happen..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 8:18 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
What kind of respectable developer would plan a 28 storey hotel before not doing engineering assessments on the rock they are going to be building on? I'm still amazed at how this was allowed to happen..
Especially considering that nearly all large developments in the city require some form of blasting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 9:58 PM
ILoveHalifax ILoveHalifax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
What kind of respectable developer would plan a 28 storey hotel before not doing engineering assessments on the rock they are going to be building on? I'm still amazed at how this was allowed to happen..
I used to travel a lot a while back and you could always count on Choice to be cheaply built, poor quality and things broken or low water pressure, etc. Conversely Marriot was always well built, everything working and top notch
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:47 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.