HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Boxbot wins:

This plan is awesome. I love the design and just about everything about this. I hope an updated transportation plan comes along as part of the package. 30th street station being right near by is definitely a plus, but this project could be a great excuse to rethink things like the 30th street subway connection to 30th street station, bus routing through the area, and (pie in the sky I know) extending PATCO across the schuylkill.
Happily, the 30th St. Station/Subway connection is being addressed by the master plan for that side of the street.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Boxbot wins:

This plan is awesome. I love the design and just about everything about this. I hope an updated transportation plan comes along as part of the package. 30th street station being right near by is definitely a plus, but this project could be a great excuse to rethink things like the 30th street subway connection to 30th street station, bus routing through the area, and (pie in the sky I know) extending PATCO across the schuylkill.
extending PATCO across the Schuylkill wouldn't take any additional infrastructure. All it would take would be for fare sharing between the two agencies, which would allow for a free transfer at 8th and Market. And I believe there are discussions to do this soon, but I can't source it so don't quote me.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 4:15 PM

So imagine this with the rail yard capped, but not with buildings but rather a new baseball stadium surrounded by parks. With the Penn parks to the South, it would be amazing. The Phillies will probably need a new stadium by the time it comes to fruition.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieman View Post
So imagine this with the rail yard capped, but not with buildings but rather a new baseball stadium surrounded by parks. With the Penn parks to the South, it would be amazing. The Phillies will probably need a new stadium by the time it comes to fruition.
Theoretically that sounds awesome to have a stadium there... but could you imagine the effect on traffic in that area?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
Theoretically that sounds awesome to have a stadium there... but could you imagine the effect on traffic in that area?
Oh, I remember well those discussions "back when," since a stadium was proposed for the rail yards back in the nineties. I'm sad that we opted for the easy way out, but there are some good arguments why things work better in that massive complex in general (and make it more attractive to big events like the RNC in 2000 and DNC this year). However, given the number of games, I think that baseball stadiums and indoor arenas would be a great fit in the urban fabric. Like Madison Square Garden, a 30th St. location would offer great transit access.

Last edited by Knight Hospitaller; Mar 4, 2016 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 5:08 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieman View Post
We won't see a major stadium in CC. There's just not enough space on 676 and 76. There's barely enough space on 76 and 95. Keep that stuff out of CC, no one will benefit from it. The south Philly complexes are the perfect spots. But do you seriously think the Bank will need to be replaced in only 20 years? It's really quite nice.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 5:16 PM

Definitely not. I think we remember the 90's and early 00's wholesale replacement of the cookie cutter multi-purpose statdiums from the 70's and think that stadiums have just twenty to thirty good years in them. But that was correcting the mistake of the multi-purpose stadiums that tried to do too much and failed at almost everything.

Stadiums since Oriole Park at Camden Yards will have a median age of 40+ years before they are replaced. And since they were built right, you may even see the median creep up to high 50's or more.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 5:19 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
Definitely not. I think we remember the 90's and early 00's wholesale replacement of the cookie cutter multi-purpose statdiums from the 70's and think that stadiums have just twenty to thirty good years in them. But that was correcting the mistake of the multi-purpose stadiums that tried to do too much and failed at almost everything.

Stadiums since Oriole Park at Camden Yards will have a median age of 40+ years before they are replaced. And since they were built right, you may even see the median creep up to high 50's or more.
Agreed, I think CBP will be around for another 35 years, maybe more.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:12 PM

Giant step in Philly growth

Quote:
Drexel University and Brandywine Realty Trust share that belief, and we are backing our conviction with a $3.5 billion investment in a project called Schuylkill Yards, on the west bank of the Schuylkill adjacent to Amtrak's 30th Street Station and Brandywine's Cira Center office towers, and at the gateway to Drexel's main campus.

The master plan for Schuylkill Yards made public Wednesday reveals some game-changing influences for Philadelphia's growth. This 14-acre development will be the largest in the city's history. It will include spaces designed for innovative start-up companies, research laboratories, and corporate offices, along with residential building, retail, and hotel space, and ample open green horizons. At the end of the 15- to 20-year construction phase, this will be an appealing neighborhood that combines commercial buildings with some of the most welcoming public spaces in urban America, a civic commons unlike any other.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion...3WsRFuH6mZf.99

Last edited by summersm343; Mar 4, 2016 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:22 PM
PHL

^ aaaaaand now I'm going to be internalizing my hope for a 15 year process rather than 20.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:29 PM
PHL

I made a thing! Drexel doesn't need its Main Building, right? Haha. (I love main; just ignore that it's gone for this)

Used known heights of CITC and EVO to make this to scale, just for the sake of discussion and comparison. I know it isn't perfect, but it's a quicky while I sit at work clearly "working."

image sources:

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...g?format=2500w

and

http://corporate.comcast.com/images/...l-1413x785.jpg

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:37 PM

maybe someone needs to add the railyard capped area, maybe 10-20 story buildings there

also the lot opposite FMC (other side of walnut in front of the park) needs another tower while we are at it

towers towers everywhere...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:44 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
maybe someone needs to add the railyard capped area, maybe 10-20 story buildings there

also the lot opposite FMC (other side of walnut in front of the park) needs another tower while we are at it

Please add that and UCity Square...University City is going to rival CC once all of this is complete...

Oh yea and I vote for Schuylkillcon Valley or the Silly Jawn Jawn

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:45 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post

I might wanna mess around with it. Would be SO COOL to see some towers wrap up the Schuylkill and expand the skyline northwest.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:49 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

FMC Suddenly looks underwhelming.

..and honestly the aesthetic of that SHOP tower doesnt really fit the current philly aesthetic...but i'm not complaining.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:57 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
FMC Suddenly looks underwhelming.

..and honestly the aesthetic of that SHOP tower doesnt really fit the current philly aesthetic...but i'm not complaining.
FWIW, Evo didn't look so hot in renderings, but the final product looks amazing with the aesthetic of the city.

^I thought it was going to look stupid with the rest of the city. Turned out hot.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:59 PM

I absolutely agree with the earlier posts proposing to extend PATCO west of the Schuylkill! I could see stations at Rittehouse Square, Fitler Square (21st/22nd-Walnut), 30th Street (30th and Walnut), University of Pennsylvania (33rd and Walnut), and University City (38th and Walnut).

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
I made a thing! Drexel doesn't need its Main Building, right? Haha. (I love main; just ignore that it's gone for this)

Used known heights of CITC and EVO to make this to scale, just for the sake of discussion and comparison. I know it isn't perfect, but it's a quicky while I sit at work clearly "working."

image sources:

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...g?format=2500w

and

http://corporate.comcast.com/images/...l-1413x785.jpg
I don't know why, but CITC actually looks really good when placed in University City!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I absolutely agree with the earlier posts proposing to extend PATCO west of the Schuylkill! I could see stations at Rittehouse Square, Fitler Square (21st/22nd-Walnut), 30th Street (30th and Walnut), University of Pennsylvania (33rd and Walnut), and University City (38th and Walnut).
Yeah, that isn't going to happen, especially the past 30th St. idea The regional rail line + green line crossing Walnut will prohibit that. Plus, I'm not sure the demand will be there to justify the construction, unlike extending Orange Line to Navy Yard.

Make it a free interchange at 8th Street. Expand PATCO into South Jersey. But forget the idea of expanding PATCO west in Philly.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I don't know why, but CITC actually looks really good when placed in University City!
CITC wouldn't work in that spot, b/c Drexel main bldg is there, and no way will it be demolished. On the other hand, move it down a block on Chestnut, and it would be perfect!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals