HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Dull is fine by me.

But seriously, I get a chuckle when city residents complain. I mean, you need to take a field trip out to Schaumburg to really get an appreciation for how good of a development the one pictured above is.
I've seen developments like this in suburbs before, though not the Chicago area. I do appreciate the fact that its replacing something not so good

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 9:43 PM

Anyone know what's going on with Nobu?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchicity View Post
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/12/1...-new-developer

Construction however hasn't started back up yet.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:22 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchicity View Post
They need money I guess

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Can't say that I'm not sad to see the Rock and Roll McDonald's like that. I always pictured it at the base of a supertall on the rest of the lot. Probably because I watched "*batteries not included" as a kid.
As far as McDonalds goes, I know that people here were worried about it ruining the West Loop; I know someone who is an exec at MCD and she works out in Oak Brook, she told me that the corporate MCD is a different eating experience than a standard location, and that this concept will be repeated at the new HQ.

Here is what else I was told:

-Since it is the corporate HQ location, it wont be a typical MCD location...it will cater to employees in the building, and will have a slightly different, upgraded menu, than what a typical MCD would have. This version of the HQ restaurant will be open to the public.

-It will obviously not have a drive-thru, and will most likely not be a late-night location.

-It will have a street presence more similar to that of the Shake Shack in River North.

-It will offer an upgraded menu and upgraded eating experience, and will fit in well in the West Loop.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
People spout out the word “suburban” now to describe anything they don’t like, or looks boring, without it meaning anything.

If you look at your typical prewar commercial building on a strip in Chicago, it pretty much looks the same as a prewar commercial building on a main street in an old suburb.

So this notion that inner city buildings somehow are supposed to look different, be edgier or more stylish, than their counterparts in the suburbs, has no historic precedent.
Suburban means shitty, provincial and lacking in sophistication. Duh.

And it doesn’t have to refer to Chicago’s suburbs. This crap that looks like it belongs in Phoenix is “suburban” looking, too.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Chicago View Post
-It will offer an upgraded menu and upgraded eating experience, and will fit in well in the West Loop.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You can laugh! But, that's what she told me.

Based on the nature of the conversation I had with her (I told her about this website and our concerns), she was trying to reassure me, that the MCD is being intentionally designed to fit in well with the urban fabric of the West Loop.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:15 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Suburban means shitty, provincial and lacking in sophistication. Duh.

And it doesn’t have to refer to Chicago’s suburbs. This crap that looks like it belongs in Phoenix is “suburban” looking, too.
Yes, I know that’s historically what “suburban” means.

But guess what—crap like this has been going up in Chicago for years. It’s part of the built environment. It doesn’t belong in Phoenix, it belongs here. Because it is here.

This is the real world, as opposed to your little mental game of SimCity Chicago you carry on way the hell out in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:17 PM
The City

Quote:

Based on the nature of the conversation I had with her (I told her about this website and our concerns), she was trying to reassure me, that the MCD is being intentionally designed to fit in well with the urban fabric of the West Loop.
I don’t think anybody denies this, but I do think the replacement for the Rock n Roll McD’s is kind of an insult to the city. I mean, they DO NOT need a parking lot at that location.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
I don’t think anybody denies this, but I do think the replacement for the Rock n Roll McD’s is kind of an insult to the city. I mean, they DO NOT need a parking lot at that location.
I just keep telling myself McDonald's is trying to spur the redevelopment of all those parking lots and gas stations on the surrounding blocks and will be cheap on the rebuild so it can come down for a tower in 15-20 yrs. Hopefully the post office goes soon...

I'm loving the density in River North, but the near north side could use some more park space. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with the north branch...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 3:56 PM
The City

^ Couldnt agree more. River North needs a non-commercial space for people to congregate. A park/plaza really needs to be created before all the developable land gets gobbled up.

I had hoped that something of the sort would've been part of the One Chicago Square development. That would be a prime location for such a thing: across from Holy Name, near the nexus of Chicago and State,near transit, etc. Oh well...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
^ Couldnt agree more. River North needs a non-commercial space for people to congregate. A park/plaza really needs to be created before all the developable land gets gobbled up.

I had hoped that something of the sort would've been part of the One Chicago Square development. That would be a prime location for such a thing: across from Holy Name, near the nexus of Chicago and State,near transit, etc. Oh well...
Well, there is a small plaza already not far from One Chicago Square. This is why I liked living in the Gold Coast. I had a plaza that was more European style in some ways and then in the last few years a second small plaza opened up. Though the 2nd one (Connors Park) was there before, it wasn't as much of a meeting place as it is now.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:

I, for one, am excited to see what McDonald's put's together at their HQ. And just to show what they COULD do (not that they will), this video just came out showing a fancy McD in Hong Kong. I think given King of Chicago's conversation and the variety of McD's worldwide, it is clear that this McD will not be a run of the mill location offering the same menu as what you would find at most locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BlT28Tl_VI

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:06 PM
The City

By the way, McDonalds in India is gooooooood.... I love the menu there

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:07 PM
The City

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Well, there is a small plaza already not far from One Chicago Square. This is why I liked living in the Gold Coast. I had a plaza that was more European style in some ways and then in the last few years a second small plaza opened up. Though the 2nd one (Connors Park) was there before, it wasn't as much of a meeting place as it is now.
I think we need something of a bigger scale than those small triangular plazas

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:

Most of the buildings that would front on an actual square at Chicago are pretty bad. I can't think of a full city-block I'd be okay with razing to make one. The most feasible opportunity may be one of the Cabrini or Moody blocks. Nearly the entirety of the area within La Salle, Chicago, the River (and beyond even), and North Avenue is a redevelopment opportunity, really.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Most of the buildings that would front on an actual square at Chicago are pretty bad. I can't think of a full city-block I'd be okay with razing to make one. The most feasible opportunity may be one of the Cabrini or Moody blocks.
The Post Office is another one.

Ultimately I see a Park being part of a package that includes a highrise. Similar to the One Bennett Park deal out in Streeterville.

Had the community spent less time fixating on traffic, they could have negotiated something more substantial from the One Chicago Square project.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
The Post Office is another one.

Ultimately I see a Park being part of a package that includes a highrise. Similar to the One Bennett Park deal out in Streeterville.

Had the community spent less time fixating on traffic, they could have negotiated something more substantial from the One Chicago Square project.
Two of those high rises by the post office are awful. Of course they'd be the ones with the best views of the would-be square. Life is cruel.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
I think we need something of a bigger scale than those small triangular plazas
Maybe, but I personally like the smaller ones. More intimate - the Mariano Park plaza could technically fit up to a few hundred people. I enjoy something like that because it's more intimate, but also because the distance from it to something across the street is much less than some place like Daley Plaza which doesn't make you feel that connected to the ground floor spaces in the buildings surrounding it.

I think a larger plaza really depends on a lot of things. Daley Plaza is good for smaller festivals, stuff like food trucks meeting up, eating your lunch, etc but I would personally take something like Mariano Park over it any day. I think if Chicago were to try and make something like a Piazza Navona (Rome) or something similar, then right in the middle of where One Chicago would be a good place to do it.

But just my personality, I am more of a fan of spaces like this (this is from Istanbul)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development