HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 4:43 PM

As on the ca. 1905 Bekins map, some of the names are obscured, I thought it might be useful to Noirishers to also see another map of this area with its tiny streets, from the 1955 Renie Atlas for the various Southern California counties:

odinthor collection, Detail from Renie Atlas, 1955 ed., much enlarged.

Many of the streets have names which resonate with those who have read the city's newspapers of the latter part of the 1800s: Naud, Weyse, Schieffelin, Moulton, Baker, and so on.

Last edited by odinthor; Jun 6, 2021 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 5:41 PM

Lamar Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
As on the ca. 1905 Bekins map, some of the names are obscured, I thought it might be useful to Noirishers to also see another map of this area with its tiny streets, from the 1955 Renie Atlas for the various Southern California counties:

Detail from Renie Atlas, 1955 ed., much enlarged.

Many of the streets have names which resonate with those who have read the city's newspapers of the latter part of the 1800s: Naud, Weyse, Schieffelin, Moulton, Baker, and so on.
I remember 2 series of posts on Lamar Street...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 8:34 PM

For those interested in the beginnings of recently-mentioned Effie Street:

LA Times, 11/26/1898.

But--just who was Effie???

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 8:46 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
For those interested in the beginnings of recently-mentioned Effie Street:

LA Times, 11/26/1898.

But--just who was Effie???

Effie Perine. Her daughter, also called Effie, moved to San Francisco and got a job working for the detective agency of Spade & Archer as a secretary.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
An intriguing neighbor (and mystery location)

eBay

Does anyone know where Edd Byrnes lived in the Hollywood Hills?

The reason I want to know is because my eye keeps wandering to the flat-roofed ultra-modern house next door - - - - >

A closer look

detail

If you look closely you can see a rather precarious spiral staircase descending, among some vines, to the pool area.....The building looks like something you might see in a James Bond movie.

It would be fun to see if the structure is still there but first we need to figure out where Mr. Byrnes lived.

Here's the info. with the photograph.

. . .but no mention of an address.

This mystery photo has not been placed, but I finally found another picture that looks like it was taken from Edd Byrnes' house. The railing is the same, anyway. Recall that it is reportedly in Coldwater Canyon somewhere. He also described his house as "Chinese modern"

ebay

This won't be much help, but it also shows a view outside with apparently the same railing:

ebay

And the rain gutter and the board below it matches this photo.

eBay

Last edited by Mackerm; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:16 PM

Interesting information Mackerm but I thought we found Byrnes' address. (I probably no doubt have it confused with someone else's address)
'Chinese Modern' is always intriguing to me. I remember when I was very young our house in Illinois had 'Chinese Modern' lamps and brick-a-brac. (this would be around 1960-1965)

p.s.....not sure why I placed among some vines in commas. ....*slaps forehead*

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:32 PM

Mystery of the Acme Sequoia Lodge. 7-28-1942

When I hear Sequoia I think Northern California but this photograph shows a group of men, and a few women, from the Southern California Tavern Owners Ass'n.

eBay (no longer listed)

The lodge looks absolutely amazing. . .built using heavy timber. The undulation that you see isn't the architecture it's due to the way the photograph was folded.

Like this.

To me Acme seems like a rather odd choice for the name of a rustic lodge but back in 1942 it merely meant the "pinnacle" or the "top" with no connotations to Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner. . . .giggle

I still think it's a shitty poor name for a lodge.

Obviously the July meeting could have taken place in Northern California but if you look at the back you will see that the photography company is from Los Angeles. (619 N. Windsor Boulevard)
There's also a name and address penciled in that says C.C. Davidson, 3917 S. Vermont.

Lastly, let's take a closer look at the label on the front.

Is that Robert Benchley?

Does anyone have an idea where the Acme Sequoia Lodge was (is) located?

P.S. If you look closely at the photograph all the beer glasses are empty. . .might explain some of the frowns. (solemnity of the moment

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 7, 2021 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 5:26 PM

Acme

Quote:

Mystery of the Acme Sequoia Lodge. 7-28-1942

When I hear Sequoia I think Northern California but this photograph shows a group of men, and a few women, from the Southern California Tavern Owners Ass'n.

eBay (no longer listed)

The lodge looks absolutely amazing. . .built using heavy timber. The undulation that you see isn't the architecture it's due to the way the photograph was folded.

Like this.

To me Acme seems like a rather odd choice for the name of a rustic lodge but back in 1942 it merely meant the "pinnacle" or the "top" with no connotations to Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner. . . .giggle

I still think it's a shitty poor name for a lodge.

Obviously the July meeting could have taken place in Northern California but if you look at the back you will see that the photography company is from Los Angeles. (619 N. Windsor Boulevard)
There's also a name and address penciled in that says C.C. Davidson, 3917 S. Vermont.

Lastly, let's take a closer look at the label on the front.

Is that Robert Benchley?

Does anyone have an idea where the Acme Sequoia Lodge was (is) located?

P.S. If you look closely at the photograph all the beer glasses are empty. . .might explain some of the frowns. (solemnity of the moment

Could be wrong but ACME was a popular beer in So.Cal during those years, maybe they were hosting the bar owners? I just found this, In partnership with its Southern California agent, Bohemian Distributing Co., Acme built a plant in Los Angeles (Vernon) at 2080 East 49th St. The brewery was positioned between Bohmeian's headquarters and the Sequoia Lodge, which was the hospitality center for two operations. The plant operated as the Acme Brewing Co. from its opening in June of 1935.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:40 PM

Not a great quality picture, I tried to tweak it a little. I think this is the Acme Sequoia Lodge in the foreground next to the brewing plant on East 49th Street in Vernon.

brewerygems.com

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
Could be wrong but ACME was a popular beer in So.Cal during those years, maybe they were hosting the bar owners? I just found this, In partnership with its Southern California agent, Bohemian Distributing Co., Acme built a plant in Los Angeles (Vernon) at 2080 East 49th St. The brewery was positioned between Bohmeian's headquarters and the Sequoia Lodge, which was the hospitality center for two operations. The plant operated as the Acme Brewing Co. from its opening in June of 1935.
Interestingly it is a racially integrated group. Unusual for 1942.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:15 PM

Note the TAP R'M at upper right....

Just a blank building there now:

Btw--interesting to notice how beautiful the curbs and street surfaces are along East 49th Street in comparison to even very expensive LA subdivisions like Hancock Park or Windsor Square....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 11:20 PM

Does anyone recogize this building

Someone who follows me on Twitter sent me this photo and asked if I knew it. At first glance I thought it might have been the entrance to the Biltmore, but then I realized that its arched doorway isn't 3 to 4 stories tall.

Does anyone know what/where it is/was? I thought those curved, shallow stairs on the right might held ID it.

And here is a close-up of the steps:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
Someone who follows me on Twitter sent me this photo and asked if I knew it. At first glance I thought it might have been the entrance to the Biltmore, but then I realized that its arched doorway isn't 3 to 4 stories tall.

Does anyone know what/where it is/was? I thought those curved, shallow stairs on the right might held ID it.

Barker Bros. Building on 7th DTLA between Figueroa and Flower

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 2:54 AM

Mystery building

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
Barker Bros. Building on 7th DTLA between Figueroa and Flower
Thanks much, rick m!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post

CRALA

This is actually an art installation: A collaboration between poet Robert Creeley and artist James Surls, Once There Was a Forest consists of polished black granite cylindrical bollards that suggest petrified tree stumps arranged in an arc stretched across the front steps of the office building. The top surface of each bollard has a polished pink granite square incised with images and poetry by Robert Creeley, including images of a bowl, a woodpecker, a bed, a pair of human eyes, a rocking chair, and a sailboat. The bollards provide a place for people to rest and observe the passing traffic, while the poetry etched on the surface act as reminders of a history and space far removed from the quotidian* bustle of immediate life. --from the photo link

GSV view: HERE.

Looking back toward the Barker Bros. Building.

HollywoodLocations

*SIDEBAR: I had to look up "quotidian." "The quotidian bustle of immediate life." I guess if you're a poet, you don't use the word "ordinary" or "daily", heh! The first definition I happened to see for that word was: "denoting the malignant form of malaria." YIKES!

But the top definitions are:

quotidian:
--of or occurring every day; daily
--ordinary or everyday, especially when mundane

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jun 9, 2021 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 6:49 PM

re: Acme Sequoia Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
Wow What an amazing discovery! I don't how we overlooked the 'lodge' that Acme had on their grounds.

Just for fun- here's a detail of the photograph Noir Noir found.

detail

I wish the lodge had been moved somewhere & not destroyed. Here's a thought: maybe it was moved and we just don't know about it.
Wouldn't that be a nice surprise!

Lastly, here's a detail of GW's Acme Plant layout. As you can see the lodge is labeled "Tap Room".

detail

At first I thought the smallish rectangle in the lower left was an outdoor stage - which led me to believe there was a beer garden (biergarten) behind the lodge

. . . . but, no, it's a beer storage unit. (labeled "immense vault" )

Could these three beer mugs be from the Acme Sequoia Lodge?

brewery gems/acme collectables

brewery gems/acme collectables

Well we know that tall glass. .umm. . .flutes(?) were being used in the 1942 photograph.

To see the flutes & the interior of the lodge again go Here

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 9, 2021 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 11:50 PM

Under the heading of "This May or May Not Have Anything To Do with Anything": Painter and ceramist Karoly Fulop--well-known to the L.A. art scene (going by articles over the years in the L.A. Times)--had a brother Julius:

LA Times, 4/9/1963.

More on Karoly:

http://www.papillongallery.com/karol...p_clarion.html

So is Julius the "J.J. Fulop" of the mugs?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 3:08 AM

Quote:

re: Acme Sequoia Lodge

Lastly, here's a detail of GW's Acme Plant layout. As you can see the lodge is labeled "Tap Room".

detail

At first I thought the smallish rectangle in the lower left was an outdoor stage - which led me to believe there was a beer garden (biergarten) behind the lodge

. . . . but, no, it's a beer storage unit. (labeled "immense vault" )

How about a bierpatio behind the lodge ... with a fishpond?

digitallibrary.usc.edu

"Perry Hansen, Acme Brewing Co., manager and W.E Alworth, executive secty., Vernon Chamber of Commerce, at Acme's fish pond in patio
of brewery's Seqouoia Lodge. Brewery is at 2080 E 49th St., Vernon"
- February 1953

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jun 10, 2021 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 6:31 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
How about a bierpatio behind the lodge ... with a fishpond?

digitallibrary.usc.edu

"Perry Hansen, Acme Brewing Co., manager and W.E Alworth, executive secty., Vernon Chamber of Commerce, at Acme's fish pond in patio
of brewery's Seqouoia Lodge. Brewery is at 2080 E 49th St., Vernon"
- February 1953
When I was in my larval stage in the 1960s in the Great Broiling San Fernando Valley, Budweiser brewery off the freeway in Van Nuys ran a nice pleasant mini theme park called Busch Gardens. They had nice gardens, lakes, boat rides, a monorail, animals, brewery tours (on the monorail), oompah bands, employees in lederhosen and feathered hats, German food like bratwurst and free beer! I remember sipping some. Refreshing on a hot summer day or during Oktoberfest. Not exactly Disneyland or Munich, but pretty good for the Great Broiling San Fernando Valley.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:55 PM

re:..Noir Noir's photograph of the "bierpatio" behind the Acme Sequoia Lodge....

Do you think the brick area in the lower right corner is seating around the edge of a fountain?

The pond and 'fountain' might have been built after GW's layout map. .
otherwise I think they would have been included in the layout.

I wonder how many tipsy people fell into that pond.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 10, 2021 at 6:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos