HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Couldn't find the specifics I wanted, e_r; but it's worth noting that as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to have been mentioned as being actually seen since 1936. Here, chronologically, are some gleanings from my search, among which are some faint clues as to location:

LA Times, 9/1/1910.

Here's the whole related chunk of the Holcomb article mentioned by Mackerm:

Popular Astronomy, v. 22, p. 471, 1914.

LA Times, 11/27/1932.

LA Times, 4/5/1936.

The funny thing is that I've hiked all the way up to Mt. Wilson at least twice, and so must have walked past the turn-off trail to the formation each time! Even if it has weathered and fallen apart (or been chipped up unrecognizably by vandals), it would be interesting to see what the remains look like now.
I hiked up to Mt. Wilson too from Sierra Madre when I was about 18 (51 years ago). Never saw old man rock or heard about it. From all the cracks and fissures, it may have broken apart years ago. In winter, ice gets into the cracks and expands, and pieces can fall off. Erosion by ice wedging. When you hiked up, did you take the Mt. Wilson trail in Sierra Madre that goes by Orchard Camp, or start up the Mt. Wilson toll road (easier)? I took the trail with a Sierra Club group and it is a hard climb! The guide never mentioned old man rock so maybe it is far from the trail.

Last edited by CaliNative; Today at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:44 PM

Hail, fellow hiker!

CaliNative, I took the Sierra Madre trail. I did it on December 31, 1969. If I recall correctly, very near the summit, it joins the toll road's path.

Me, near the bottom of the trail:

odinthor collection

Me, at the top:

odinthor collection

The Old Man Rock's site, as far as I can guess, would have been in the canyon straight down directly behind me.

Old Posted Today, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Hail, fellow hiker!

CaliNative, I took the Sierra Madre trail. I did it on December 31, 1969. If I recall correctly, very near the summit, it joins the toll road's path.

Me, near the bottom of the trail:

odinthor collection

Me, at the top:

odinthor collection

The Old Man Rock's site, as far as I can guess, would have been in the canyon straight down directly behind me.
Hail! Yes, you are correct, the trail does join the toll road coming in from the west near the summit. I made my hike in 1970, probably a few months after you. There were parts of the trail back then that were in pretty bad shape. And I recall that "Orchard Camp" at about the halfway point appeared to be abandoned. A relic of an earlier era of hiking. It looked lonely and long abandoned. We stopped there for lunch though. Lots of trees and shade near the creek. Interesting to experience the vegetation transition from chapparal to oak/bay laurel to conifer trees as you go up. We even saw some red barked madrona trees above Orchard Camp, which are not very common in SoCal, especially as drought increases. Nice views.

Last edited by CaliNative; Today at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Today, 12:49 PM

CaliNative, I remember it exactly as you do.

The previous rainy season had been unusually heavy, and washed-out portions of the trail had been restored in a "well, this will do for now" manner.

Same as you, I had lunch at Orchard Camp; and remember its abandoned appearance. One little thing I remember was that evidently at some time long previous, it had been planted with garden flowers, as I found a patch of non-native Bearded Iris at the camp. I had intended to take an offset on the hike back down; but we were in a hurry and I forgot.

I had a third photo from the hike which I didn't include in my other posting; but . . . your message mentioned its precise subject-matter, the trees, so here it is:

odinthor collection

Here, we're in the upper reaches, where the conifers are starting to show up.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos