HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:46 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:22 PM

Seems like I was on their yesterday and there were pictures in the actual bare suite. Not confusing it with the concrete parkade, cause they look similar haha.

Otherwise yes, it's all just the same generic photos.

Edit: Actually seems like the Penthouses are not listed anymore? $800k is for the finished suites.

There are some photos of the empty penthouses here:
https://390ontheriver.com/gallery/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:45 PM

Today’s sunrise view from the 24 floor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2l7CRg...=16n8k7ay1fbxu

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i'm surprised agent is not loading more pics or videos, pretty generic

$376k
https://www.winnipegregionalrealesta...ings/202100551
That's certainly a beautiful living space. I can understand the appeal being a bit limited in the local market in the sense that you still get a good house for that kind of money in Winnipeg, but for those who want condo living and have money to spend it strikes me as a great option.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:33 PM

For that amount of money, you can get a pretty good house in/near the core of the city. I think this is the issue with these kinds of projects.

I have a couple friends in other Canadian markets that have bought in medium and high density buildings like 390. They love being close to the action but they'd rather be in a house near the core. But for them, the cost of a house near the core is completely out of their price range. So the option is to either live in a high density building or have a long commute out to the sticks.

I don't think that dynamic exists here, so for these types of projects in Winnipeg the market is mainly just people buying because they want to be there rather than it being the most cost effective option close to the city.

Last edited by GreyGarden; Apr 19, 2021 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
For that amount of money, you can get a pretty good house in/near the core of the city. I think this is the issue with these kinds of projects.

I have a couple friends in other Canadian markets that have bought in medium and high density buildings like 390. They love being close to the action but they'd rather be in a house near the core. But for them, the cost of a house near the core is completely out of their price range. So the option is to either live in a high density building or have a long commute out to the sticks.

I don't think that dynamic exists here, so for these types of projects in Winnipeg the market is mainly just people buying because they want to be there rather than it being the most cost effective option close to the city.
One of the big reasons I prefer a downtown condo is to cut my carbon emissions. It’s disappointing developers don’t do more to make buildings or homes more efficient. A multi family building in a central location is considerably less carbon than a single family home near the perimeter.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:34 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
One of the big reasons I prefer a downtown condo is to cut my carbon emissions. It’s disappointing developers don’t do more to make buildings or homes more efficient. A multi family building in a central location is considerably less carbon than a single family home near the perimeter.
Do you consider the fixed emissions from the initial build? I agree with you, but from the studies I've read once you hit a certain height you actually move backwards regarding lifetime emissions.

I'll look through my stupid list of studies to see if I can find the one I'm talking about and link to it, but if I recall correct once you start building over 100ft the emissions from building actually start surpassing the carbon emission savings.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Do you consider the fixed emissions from the initial build? I agree with you, but from the studies I've read once you hit a certain height you actually move backwards regarding lifetime emissions.

I'll look through my stupid list of studies to see if I can find the one I'm talking about and link to it, but if I recall correct once you start building over 100ft the emissions from building actually start surpassing the carbon emission savings.
I'm really looking forward to concrete carbon capture companies getting going in a big way.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...is-a-cool-idea

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:24 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post

please find that I would love to read it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:46 PM
surely you agree with me

What i find amazing about the design of this building is that it looks like a curtain wall tower but it isn't. The designer did an amazing job of giving it that feel. When the sun hits it just right you can see where the actual windows are and where the solid wall is. Imagine if the solid wall was precast or something. We would all have a very different opinion of the design. Well done.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 11:14 PM

Short-term Rentals

390 does not allow short-term Airbnb. If you read or saw the CBC Manitoba story Airbnb can be a major problem. 311 Hargrave has over 50 units on Airbnb and the reckless partying is excessive. Unit owner's still have rights. An owners circumstances may change and may need to rent or sell. My understanding is that 30 day rentals are permitted at 390 on the River. Though unit sales in 390 have been slower they have succeeded in only selling to live in owners and not investors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...rime-1.6031966

Last edited by eman; Jun 2, 2021 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:07 AM

I have heard so many horror stories about glasshouse and all the partying and safety issues. Fights all the, blood in the halls, rampant break-ins. Normally this is where the condo board would step in and say enough and ban Airbnbs, but I think with this building in particular, a significant amount of buyers were investors so there may not be enough votes to enact that rule. The building was also sold advertising that as an option with the Alt offering housekeeping for Airbnb owners, so hard to go back on that. They were obviously not privy to the realities of downtown Winnipeg.

This was happening before Covid and I imagine its only gotten worse since. Even the Fairmont is looking closer to the Marlborough these days.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:11 PM

I don't get it. If you are charging $120 a night or whatever for an Airbnb but you end up renting it to some drug dealer who makes a mess or causes damage, how do you come out ahead? Winnipeg is not Rome, there is not an endless stream of tourists who just need a bed to crash in after a day of sightseeing... it isn't surprising that a significant number of Airbnb renters during a pandemic would be up to no good. But how is it good business renting to them!?

I feel badly for anyone who bought a unit in good faith to live in. That would be such an incredible headache to put up with.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:19 PM
Winnipeg

Business stays and personal stays are still a thing even during this pandemic, even though the demand has decreased. The company I work for deals with short-term stays involving many upscale condo units here in downtown Winnipeg. About drug users renting units...my company has not encountered this in Winnipeg, but it did happen in either in a unit in Saskatoon/Regina. A quick search on Google maps shows that Glasshouse has pretty favorable reviews.

It’s generally not easy to know the whole background of someone who rents a unit. There are always risks involved. Some mandatory background check can be done if feasible I guess.

Currently planning on purchasing a condo on my own. Glasshouse might be an option...? I’ll see.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
It’s generally not easy to know the whole background of someone who rents a unit. There are always risks involved. Some mandatory background check can be done if feasible I guess.

Currently planning on purchasing a condo on my own. Glasshouse might be an option...? I’ll see.
It's tough to justify extensive background checks when someone is only spending $100 or $200 for a night or two. To some extent you're relying on the fact that they have a credit card to establish some baseline level of trustworthiness...

But as for Glasshouse, if the stories are true, you might be able to scoop up a unit at a decent price if an investor or stressed resident wants to get out badly enough!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 8:45 PM

Funny timing, it seems Airbnb is starting to vet customers more. My friend has a condo in the Exchange on Airbnb, someone had it booked for the weekend and he just got a notification Airbnb cancelled the booking because the ID the person submitted didn't match the name on the account or credit card. So I guess they're validating IDs like hotels now. People that will cause problems will likely use a fake name or ID I guess.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan