HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 9:01 PM

The Pearson Hub

All photos taken on January 3, 2020. Yet more "incessant boosterism" of Mississauga from yours truly.

Last edited by Doady; Aug 24, 2023 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 9:07 PM
Community Guy

It's the end of the world as we know it...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 9:51 PM
arf

I love how much you love concrete.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 5:15 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

you gotta get those signs changed to mph so you can know how fast you can go before you catch a ticket.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:25 PM

I love your photo threads. While I do come here to see the perfectly urban angles of Paris, NY, London, Chicago I must admit there is something atmospheric about how you shoot these places most of us would never find aesthetic. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 8:14 PM

Yeah, this is not just an "urban showcase" or "show off your city" thread anyway.
I think 7 and 14 are the most meaningful to me, and 20 to 24 the most impressive.

@Doady It must have felt a bit uncomfortable to stand along these expressways, but it was worth the effort.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 2:37 AM
Hong Kong

Nice photos. We oftentimes overlook parts of our city that seem uninteresting. We may pass by them often, but when we stop and take a closer look, it may yield surprises, and these photos are great examples of that. The concrete theme is quite interesting.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:24 AM

I'm glad you guys understand that I'm not trying to show off the city or make it look interesting or beautiful or anything like that. If I had shown these photos to a Toronto audience they likely would have attacked me and accused me of trying to promote this place, if they even bothered to look and respond at all. All these years, you guys have been much more receptive and understanding of my work than anyone and I am very grateful for that, so thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
I love your photo threads. While I do come here to see the perfectly urban angles of Paris, NY, London, Chicago I must admit there is something atmospheric about how you shoot these places most of us would never find aesthetic. Thanks.
Again, thank you. I actually wondered if maybe this place was too unaesthetic, otherwise I wouldn't have hesitated for 5 months to finally make this thread. I really didn't expect anyone to like these photos, and I am glad I finally decided to show them.

The past few months I actually kinda started to regret spending so much time photographing these kind of lonely places. Maybe these type of photos are actually too easy, especially ever since this pandemic. Maybe I should have tried harder to get closer to people when I still had the chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Yeah, this is not just an "urban showcase" or "show off your city" thread anyway.
I think 7 and 14 are the most meaningful to me, and 20 to 24 the most impressive.
7 and 14 are quite a contrast from Paris, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
@Doady It must have felt a bit uncomfortable to stand along these expressways, but it was worth the effort.
Keep in mind I didn't stand or walk along any expressway, I only stood and walked along normal roads that went above and below these expressways and ramps. It's definitely not a place built for pedestrians (many narrow and missing walkways, without any buffer from the traffic) so of course it was not comfortable experience, but I don't want anyone to think I put myself or my brand new $3000 camera and lens at risk or anything like that. I really don't want to promote that sort of thing. Again, I couldn't even post this thread for 5 months, I am very weak, so standing along expressways would definitely be too frightening for me.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:09 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ good to hear — i think we were all wondering and a little worried about that.

this thread is most definately j.g. ballard approved.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:04 PM

I like this thread, good photos! They definitely capture a mood and subject.

And for many people, drivers AND passengers, this is how they see their environment, as well as pedestrians walking near highways and freeways like this.

And I'll admit, I had an idea of doing a photo thread of "The Freeways of Los Angeles County," but now that you've done a thread like this, I'm less inclined to do a thread like that now.

Great job!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ oh no — i wish you would reconsider and do a similar thread one too. especially as los angeles is thee most famous place for a thread like this.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 8:34 PM

Yeah, I would love to see a "Freeways of LA" thread too.

This thread is kind of similar to my Toronto & The Gardiner: A Shocking Portrait of Canada's Car-Crazed Culture Part 2 thread from 6 years ago, so it's not actually the first time. I think most people would find LA and its famous freeways more interesting. And right now the coronavirus might provide some opportunity to highlight those freeways more instead of the cars on top of them.

And honestly it is weird to see this thread at the top of the page all the time. Maybe sign of lack of new threads.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post

The timing of this shot is good with the flash of green of the tour bus.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:30 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Charming!

(I actually really admire the airport infrastructure and messy spaghetti flyovers. Who doesn't love something like this? https://goo.gl/maps/TMqpr4Qd53dgXrZp8)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos