HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:28 PM

Tuesday at 2:40

A crane to build a crane?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I agree. Returning Broadway to its residential roots is a good idea. Especially when Railside finally goes.
I concur with all this, and add the potential/appeal of South Main having some kind of future (as evidenced by the restoration of the Scott and Fortune buildings).

One of downtown Winnipeg's historic challenges has been that its 'central business district' function has been spread so thin, especially after office development on Broadway in the 1950s and '60s. Would love to see business begin to concentrate closer to Portage again and dense residential along Broadway.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:50 PM
There is always a way

If you squint really hard looking through the marmalade-smeared live cam from the digital repeater, you can make out the red outline of a tower crane at Sutton.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:57 PM

I got you.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:07 PM

Ahh!!! you beat me to it.

Last edited by dmacc; Jun 19, 2019 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Trying to add photo from flickr... FAIL

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:31 PM
What could go wrong?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Test

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
All of Wawanesa’s office space is downtown already, so it’s not really a relocation downtown. Is it actually a good thing to empty out other downtown buildings to build new? There is going to be a lot more empty space available when they move.

It is possible that one day that Western Financial moves downtown, now owned by Wawanesa. I’ve actually heard some hint of that.

GWL is never ever moving.

As for the 80’s wawanesa building. I can’t see it being used as office space. Who would be looking for such a large amount of Class B office space that would cost a fortune to modernize? The office market is very soft. Especially for low quality space like that. There is a lot of empty space much more attractive than that. My guess is residential conversion.
Well, it's a downtowny-er relocation...

In any case, Western has mused at moving downtown years back and put out an RFP before heading away from it.

The new building is much larger than the old, would Western simply move in with them?

As for the existing, residential conversion is the only real option. Or a huge storage building in a premium location :p

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:38 PM

Well son of a bitch, what are you doing that I didn't?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I got you.

Excellent news!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:42 PM

When was the last time we saw 5 tower cranes simultaneously gracing the city skyline?

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Well son of a bitch, what are you doing that I didn't?
You have to paste the .jpeg link.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:49 PM

There's 3, soon to be 4.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:51 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
When was the last time we saw 5 tower cranes simultaneously gracing the city skyline?
Awesome ^^^ The nice part is that for all intents and purposes they are for different projects. MTS Place had 4 cranes but for only one project.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:51 PM

Awesome

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:55 PM

I am really excited to see the TNS area once it's built up. So many downtown blocks suffer from a lack of continuity... a couple of nice buildings next to a surface lot, that kind of thing. TNS/Hydro/Cityplace/MTS Centre will now be one large clump of wall to wall development which should improve the atmosphere of the area... it will feel like a proper urban environment.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:19 PM

Looking at the posted pictures those are the red tower cranes that have been sitting in sections in Able Crane's storage lot on Mission St for the last few weeks. I was wondering what project they would show up at.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Tuesday at 2:40

A crane to build a crane?

I see two crane bases here – will both be built and used right away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I am really excited to see the TNS area once it's built up. So many downtown blocks suffer from a lack of continuity... a couple of nice buildings next to a surface lot, that kind of thing. TNS/Hydro/Cityplace/MTS Centre will now be one large clump of wall to wall development which should improve the atmosphere of the area... it will feel like a proper urban environment.
Totally. Last piece of that whole stretch once Wawanesa is done would be to fill in CTV's parking area so that whole area is activated. Would be nice if Hydro would actually lease out that corner unit behind Rudy's too – anyone know what's in there?

I've heard that the Hydro bill payment centre is way too big now (most pay online or by phone), and they're looking at taking out all those display cases near the Portage lobby door, and putting a kiosk in there. That would free mean up to 3 new CRUs available on Edmonton, depending on how/if it gets subdivided. Could drastically change that block as well.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:28 AM

Click on it a couple times and check out the people up there on the boom.Wouldn't catch me up there.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Would be nice if Hydro would actually lease out that corner unit behind Rudy's too – anyone know what's in there?

I've heard that the Hydro bill payment centre is way too big now (most pay online or by phone), and they're looking at taking out all those display cases near the Portage lobby door, and putting a kiosk in there. That would free mean up to 3 new CRUs available on Edmonton, depending on how/if it gets subdivided. Could drastically change that block as well.
Things have changed since the Hydro building opened up a decade ago. To my eyes it looks like there is a lot more foot traffic in the area... Hydro could stand to up its game in terms of their CRU tenants.

The bill payment space seemed unnecessarily large in 2009, it's almost comical by today's standards. You would think they could shunt that somewhere in the lobby. And yeah, the space at Graham and Carlton seems like a prime location with TNS starting to opening up.

It would be nice to see Hydro up their game a little in that regard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan