HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
And, hey, what about that bench? Do you think it still exists somewhere in the back of the property department?
When I first saw the Fox bench on Pico in the 1936 photo, I thought it had been put out there on the street because it had the
old company name, not 20th Century-Fox. But your photo showing a similar bench outside the Fox Studio on Western shows
that the benches were there for advertising. I doubt that any of them still exist, unless in a private collection. But you never know.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; May 5, 2017 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

The CA State Library identifies this photo as, "Palm tree in crate on sidewalk, Los Angeles, c. 1890."

CA State Library

So the "Workers moving palm tree" photo -- and maybe the first photo, too -- was taken not in 1890 but on May 22, 1913.
Very interesting post, FW. Have I got the right corner - does the extant Young's Market building stand on the site of the Burkhard home? We've seen this 1932 image before.

USC Digital Library

If I'm right about the location, and you're right about the date of the first photo, then I think that the CA State Library picture shows the 1909 building next door. It's now 7th & Union Hardware.

GSV

The roofline is no longer flat, but the windows appear to have originally had the same design, i.e. rounded top and small sill underneath. I've inset part of the first image from comparison.

GSV

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
E_R, I found a site that implies the coffee shop photo you posted (Academy Awards Coffee Shop waitress) was actually the Chez Paulette Coffee Shop itself, which makes sense, as one coffee shop probably wouldn't have an advertisement for another coffee shop.

How did you read that sign Lorendoc? Even knowing what it said I couldn't really make it out! Heh! I read the articles at your link.

You'll be interested in reading it, too, Rustifer. The 8535 Sunset Blvd. address is across the street from "77 Sunset Strip", near La Cienega. The owner, Max Lewin, and I'm assuming his coffee shop, apparently played himself in a couple episodes of the series. Imdb lists them as "The Texas Doll" (1959) and "Created He Them" (1960). He closed his coffee shop in 1964 according to one of the links (listed below) I read and then he had a few small parts in some movies, including Hitchcock's Torn Curtain.

Like many Sunset Blvd. establishments, it had its share of the famous as clients: "At Chez Paulette you might spot actors Marlon Brando, James Dean, Rita Hayworth or Gloria Swanson. Even the waitresses were stars in the making – Rue McClanahan, Sally Kellerman and Suzanne Pleshette all waited tables."

There's also mention of a sister location of Chez Paulette at Warner Bros., though I'm not clear if there actually was a working one or they might be referring to one recreated for "77 Sunset Strip."

I haven't had any luck so far in finding period photos of the place on Sunset Blvd., though.

These links are about an exhibit (including a recreation of the coffee house) and film called "Chez Paulette on the Sunset Strip" that was done in England by Anya Lewin, Max Lewin's daughter, 4 years ago in April-May of 2013.

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-...tory/art432146

https://www.a-n.co.uk/reviews/anya-l...e-sunset-strip

http://www.walsalladvertiser.co.uk/s...l/story.html#1
Great piece, MP. Thanks for posting!

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Speaking of the Rex Arms—some shots from a promotional brochure.
Thx for the great tour of the Rex Arms Beaudry. It looks so stuffy and dull now, but it must have been just the thing a hundred years ago. The Engstrums knew their clientele well. Fascinating.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 6:34 PM

SW corner 7th and Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Very interesting post, FW. Have I got the right corner - does the extant Young's Market building stand on the site of the Burkhard home? We've seen this 1932 image before.

USC Digital Library
Thanks, Hoss, and, yes, it's the right corner. The Young's Market Company building permit is dated December 3, 1923.

Here are some photos (all at Islandora/UCLA) of that building taken on June 28, 1972, by Eudie Bohem (sp?), when it was
the home of the Andrews Hardware and Metal Company:

Looking SW

7th Street side

Mezzanine

Ceiling beams

Mosaic

Elevator detail

Quote:
If I'm right about the location, and you're right about the date of the first photo, then I think that the CA State Library picture shows the 1909 building next door. It's now 7th & Union Hardware.

The roofline is no longer flat, but the windows appear to have originally had the same design, i.e. rounded top and small sill underneath. I've inset part of the first image from comparison.

GSV
I was wondering about that. The changed roofline threw me, but perhaps that was done when the parapet was lowered.

That's a great comparison image!

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 28, 2019 at 6:29 AM. Reason: mainly to update Islandora/UCLA links and due to stupid photobucket and its "~original" extension

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 6:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Some shots from Bo Bushnell's Instagram of vintage So Cal MC culture (from which I've posted before). These are all of Venice.

Venice has of course gentrified tremendously, so it's nice to see the place when it still had some funk to it.

Somewhere in Venice, 1967
The Hippie-life, including the Beatniks, the Bohemians and other Counter Cultures, was made possible by the very easy economic situation at that time. Food was about 1/3 or 1/4 the price of what it is now.
You could rent an apartment for $50 or less in the 1950-60+ era.....that same exact apartment is now in 2017... $1,400 or more [and wages have not kept up with inflation.] In 1969 I rented a house on a large lot for $65.
If the minimum wage was in-line with inflation since 1950 it would be about $25 per hour in 2017.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 5, 2017 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 7:00 PM

Those interior pictures of the Young's Market building are great, FW.

-------------------

Does anyone know where this Julius Shulman subject is? It's "Job 3263: Hugh Gibbs, Sully-Miller Contracting Co., 1961".

The other shot shows the reception area.

Both from Getty Research Institute

I found addresses for the company at various places around Los Angeles and Orange counties, but didn't find the building above at any of them. The current address of the Sully-Miller Contracting Co is 135 S State College Blvd #400, Brea, and that's definitely not it.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
re: Chez Paulette

[...]

But like you Martin, i haven't been able to find an exterior view.

-

It's strange to me that this area wasn't photographed a bit more. Across the street from the 8535 Sunset Blvd. address where Chez Paulette was located from the late fifties until 1964 was the recently mentioned and short lived My Own Place (Larry Finley) which was followed by the Jordanell Cocktail Lounge in that location, which was there for at least 4-5 years (since it's listed in the 1956 and 1960 CD's). It was later followed by the Sea Witch which there are very few photos of, either.

The closest I've come to that time frame and area at all are these two photos from Hollywood Photographs dated 1948.

This is looking west on Sunset Blvd. from La Cienega.

This one is angled toward the north side of Sunset. The road on the right is Miller Drive.
I don't know what kind of an establishment Pioneertown is, but they have a nice Gruen watch clock on the corner.
(The blade sign near the lamp post says "Records". You can see it better in the first photograph.)

Then there's this photo dated 1950: "Sunset Blvd at 8600 block" (Facing north.)

Seen in photo:
8609 address
The Clearing House of Information on Public Figures
Norman Willson
Little something (Folks, perhaps, followed by the first letter of another word)
Interesting house up on the hill.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 7:46 PM

Thank you Flyingwedge (and HossC) for all the history of W 7th and Union.

There's a nice history of Young's Market Company on their website

They started out in 1888 with a shop at 171 W Jefferson (now a vacant lot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Then there's this photo dated 1950: "Sunset Blvd at 8600 block" (Facing north.)

Interesting house up on the hill.
It's amazing what has survived:

gsv

That interesting House is still there too at 8630 Pine Tree Place:

google maps

I was hoping to get a little closer, but the upper reaches of Pine Tree Place are gated:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; May 5, 2017 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Another image of the Rexall on the SE corner of Beverly Blvd. and LA Cienega.

unknown/possibly ebay

below: Here is the main entrance to the building.
I can't remember if these were Rexall executive offices.......or perhaps medical practices (Cedars-Sinai Hospital is a block west).

below: The entrance to the Rexall Drug Store was at the rounded nw corner of the bldg.

Sopas_ej, did you take any photographs when you visited this area yesterday?

1947 - Shortly after breaking ground.
GettyImages

Hard not to envision the Rexall structure without considering "Beverly Ponyland" at 8536 Beverly Boulevard. OLy2-1010 But across the street, to the north, at 8537 Beverly Boulevard, there was another business with a curious history, the Health Hut, operated by Gypsy Boots. Boots is alleged to have coined the name "smoothie" when he made one for Steve Allen on Steve's TV show. I can't recall seeing any decent photos of this business at this location. A few years Boots evidently tried his luck with the same business at 13705 Ventura Blvd. In the '80s there was a Health Hut at 3333 S. Hoover, but it is unclear whether this was a Boots' enterprise.

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=24709

post mentions one of Gypsy Boots' contemporaries, Nature Boy, Eden Ahbez.

Here's Eden biking on an unknown So Cal Street (Thought this was previously posted, but maybe not.) Per source, April 1948 (WigWag, the bike looks like a 10-speed from afar, but upon closer inspection, it has only one gear. Note the teeth on the crank gear. You don't see those on newer rides.)
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/bc2d33d94ca4bb2a_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/5d4f0eeb31b966a3_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/b17a8b9ba08a664c_large

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
The 1956 CD lists Pereira & Luckman's offices at 9220 Sunset Boulevard. That could be the building on the right of this 1953 picture we saw recently. BTW. Hornburg's Jaguar dealership was/is at 9176 Sunset Boulevard. In 1956, 9209 Sunset was the Sunset Village Service Station.

When you are right HossC, you are right.

1956CD

But you must not neglect the Cock 'n Bull.

http://hollywoodhistoricphotos.com/i...et%20Blvd..jpg

More on the CNB: http://cocknbull.us/history/

http://cocknbull.us/wp-content/uploa...nset_Strip.jpg

And, all of these recent Sunset Strip references deserves a revisit to NoirCityDame's post on the subject. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=29184

The western end of the Strip, circa '48
http://waterandpower.org/6%20Histori...eny_ca1938.jpg

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/c1196626199e3daf_large

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...r.jpg~original

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
We've seen plenty of mimetic architecture on NLA, but not many mimetic vehicles. I found this one on eBay last night. The seller doesn't give a date for the picture, but car underneath appears to be an early '70s Honda 600. It was apparently known as a "Bootmobile".

eBay

Vasque Boots is a Minnesota based company, but the sign on the back says Quality Shoes, which is an LA company. Quality Shoes Inc have a store at 11427 Santa Monica Blvd, and still use boot-shaped vehicles. Larger versions of the following pictures can be found on foursquare.com. This black vehicle seems to be getting a little tatty by the time these pictures were taken. It can be seen outside Quality Shoes Inc in the GSV images from 2008 and 2009.

foursquare.com/foursquare.com

I think this red vehicle replaced the black one. The turn signals and rear lights appear to be from a 1960s VW Beetle.

foursquare.com/foursquare.com

Just to prove that it's still in use, here's a GSV image of Quality Shoes Inc which is dated September 2014.

GSV

Gypsy Boots might have gotten a kick out of this 1921 image. It is obviously a parade and one might guess it is on South Hill Street since Venice Apartments (background) was located at 1323 S. Hill. (FWIW, the Beverly Hotel was at 1330 S. Olive)

Mother Lodge New York, Number One

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...coll2/id/19150

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 10:02 PM
BANNED

I met Gypsy Boots back in 1992 and we had a nice conversation. This was at a Los Angeles Health Fair and I asked him his age. He said he would reveal his age if I bought one of his nut n' grain bars. I did buy and he was a swell fellow all 'round. Oh, his power bar was delicious.

Born Robert Bootzin
August 19, 1914
San Francisco, California
Died August 8, 2004 (aged 89)
Camarillo, California
Other names Boots Bootzin, Gypsy Boots
Occupation Fitness pioneer, actor, writer

1949....Boots is upper left.

naturesong.com

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:23 PM

'mystery' location

Does anyone recognize where this photo was taken?

The humongous billboard with the faux-gilt 'frame' around it reminds me of the 'Macao' billboard we discussed quite some time ago.

Color Slide / Macao Billboard, 1952
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25034

But I can't decide if it's the same one (or not)
_

I'm also curious about this 'wishing well' turned planter.

detail

The slide was found on French eBay.

PHOTO ANNÉES 1950 RENAULT DANS LE MONDE PUBLICITÉ LOS ANGELES
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/PHOTO-ANNEES-...AAAOSw14xWHnZy

__

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:31 PM

Same billboard at Wilshire and Fairfax. Note the striped building on the left of the picture above is the one on the right of the one below.

Quote:

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality
If that's the Edison Building in background on the right. What rooftop are the girl and her aquaplane on?

-maybe the Mayflower Hotel? (or perhaps the library)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2
Yes, the Mayflower/Checkers one assumes, because the Library seems a little low.
Thanks t2. I think you're correct.

My only other choice was the roof of The California Club, but I think it's too low as well.

gsv

Here's 'Aqua-Girl' again for comparison.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC
Same billboard at Wilshire and Fairfax.
Thanks Hoss. That was fast!

Looking at the 'Macao' slide again, I think the 'wishing well' might have belonged to the skinny low building with the red tile roof.
I can't remember if we discussed this particular building.
______

update:

You can see the building I'm talking about in this detail.

I just noticed it had a higher section too. (visible behind the green stop light)

and here's the wishing well again

Must. Solve. Wishing. Well. Mystery.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 6, 2017 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 12:58 AM
BANNED

About your ''questions" E Reality.
I always like your questions of the Forum and have often answered them. I find something interesting about what you notice in a photo.
You have a charming way of presenting a puzzle to be solved.

On occasion I have also made a slight correction to one of your posts but I try to be polite about it.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 2:31 AM

The corrections keep me on my toes CBD. I prefer it that way.

I'm pretty sure we haven't seen this colorful image on NLA.

Photo by Gene Lester / February 1, 1954

"Un groupe de photographes s'attroupe autour de Lonnie Carey,
un mannequin, alors qu'elle s'appuie sur un telescope de l'observatoire Griffith."

At first glance I thought this was a film set!

translation:
"A group of photographers crowd model Lonnie Carey as she leans against a coin-operated telescope at Griffith Observatory."
____

Here's my question: Does Lonnie Carey ring anyone's bell? [no pun intended]

-my Google searches [for "Lonnie Carey"] keep leading me back to this same photograph. (which turns out to be from the Getty Archive)

http://www.gettyimages.com/license/77651342

p.s. If that's Lonnie on the steps who's the babe in green?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 6, 2017 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 3:33 AM

Quote:
DViator, here's a Julius Shulman photo of what your future workplace would've looked like if you'd qualified in the middle of the last century. It's "Job 1096: Pereira & Luckman, Pereira & Luckman Offices, staff drafting room, 1951".

Getty Research Institute

On the desk, there's a copy of Architectural Graphic Standards - Fourth Edition by Ramsey & Sleeper.

Very cool, reminds of my architectural studio class! I think I was part of one of the last classes that did a lot of hand drafting (2 people in my class of 66 did all of their thesis drawings in AutoCAD). I have a slightly more recent version (7th edition) someplace...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos