HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:44 PM

Tempe Crossroads apartments have been demo'd clearing the way for a new 5 story wrap.

Excavation for the underground parking at Farmer Apartments moving ahead at full steam. Whole foods looks much closer to opening too.

SIDE NOTE: Tempe is on fire. I drive through there frequently and I have never seen as many cranes or active construction sites. Even ASU has a couple building renovations taking place on University.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:21 PM

To show the development activity in Tempe, I quickly threw this together to show what is currently under construction (red) and what is proposed (blue). Proposed are typically more well-known projects we talk about often. I may have missed some but this gives a general idea how on fire tempe is and will continue to be.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:35 PM

Hi everyone,

I usually lurk as I just moved to the metro early last year and Tempe proper late last year, however, I noticed that they have began clearing the golf course for next phase of Novus(?) if I’m not mistaken. They are full steam ahead with a bunch of bulldozers/trucks on site moving around dirt. I’ll have to snap a pic when I get a chance.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:38 PM
Skyriser

I have an extensive project tracker in Google sheets for Phoenix that I need to update. We should collaborate. I have been secretive about it because I wonder about profiting off it but I think the market for doing so is already handled by a couple companies.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I have an extensive project tracker in Google sheets for Phoenix that I need to update. We should collaborate. I have been secretive about it because I wonder about profiting off it but I think the market for doing so is already handled by a couple companies.
I too have a development tracker that I update regularly. About every quarter of the year. When those companies produce market reports a lot of it has misinformation or reports project U/C when they aren't even approved etc. Even companies like Yardi and Costar get things wrong since they aren't on the ground in Phoenix like I have been. I'm sure there's a price to pay for accurate data.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:23 PM
Modulator

Completely random topic. I was coming home from LA yesterday and noticed a Carvana vending tower off I-10. I think this is the 2nd vending tower in the LA area. Does anyone have a full count/locations of these by any chance? Last I read, there were 11 or 12 of these. Is Tempe's still the tallest?

Edit: Found my answer. I guess there's 19 up now as of July 17th. Had no idea there were this many across the nation.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:25 PM

Here's the pics for the next phase of Novus.

The golf course is almost completely flattened. Also I don't know if the pics do it justice, but the amount of land being cleared here, is MASSIVE...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:39 PM

^ Cool perspective looking N. And ya, when considering how much Novus is fitting into the old frat row area (west of Rural), it makes this area seem massive. I hope the Karsten clubhouse survives.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:59 PM

Had no idea that much land was being cleared. Wow! Thx.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:00 PM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:18 PM

I wonder what type of archaeological investigations or monitoring are being required for the Novus area.

When I was a part of the light rail construction through that area the contractor came across multiple pre-historic peoples burials between Mill and Rural. The first one I saw was literally next to the old frat houses on the northeast corner of Veterans Way and University. The archaeologist carefully exposed the skeleton, removed it, and member of the SRPMIC did a ceremony. They did that for all burials uncovered. The one at veterans/University was especially interesting because with the skeleton was a shell that was hollowed out and used as a bracelet, which told the archaeologist that those peoples would trade with other coastal areas, possibly close to Rocky Point.

At the very beginning of the project the archaeologist would point out shards of pottery that were literally just sitting on the ground by the old railroad tracks (which were removed for light rail). When the old railroad was constructed the ground was just churned up and tons of pottery would surface. It was always such a strange juxtaposition seeing ASU students walking across the railroad tracks to class stepping through pieces of pre-historic pottery, and of course being oblivious to it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 10:00 PM

Wow! I drive up and down rural pretty regularly and didn't even notice this much progress has been made *face palm* I wonder if the phase 4 where Packard and the track will get demo'd soon too?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 11:15 PM
Skyriser

The archaeological stuff is interesting to consider. I don't even know who does building inspection and traditional city services for ASU.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:40 AM
Modulator

I thought it was a law if archeological finds came up during construction, they had to stop for archeologist to come in and inspect/recover artifacts? Isn't that what happened with Block 23? Not sure on the law part of it, but I thought that's what I read somewehere.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:58 PM
Modulator

Took a drive through Tempe yesterday on the way to Mesa. Good lord, Mirabella looks huge! Looks like something Vegas would build, lol. Tempe is looking really good with all the new construction.

Does anyone have a quick breakdown of all the current Tempe projects? I don't keep up on Tempe as much as I would like to. Much appreciated!

Edit: Actually found this site with a lot of Tempe projects. Is most of this current? https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlis...6abf93b858f508

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Took a drive through Tempe yesterday on the way to Mesa. Good lord, Mirabella looks huge! Looks like something Vegas would build, lol. Tempe is looking really good with all the new construction.

Does anyone have a quick breakdown of all the current Tempe projects? I don't keep up on Tempe as much as I would like to. Much appreciated!

Edit: Actually found this site with a lot of Tempe projects. Is most of this current? https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlis...6abf93b858f508
Yeah, that's mostly accurate. I keep my own (semi-updated) list.

Under Construction
  • Mirabella
  • 100 Mill (not vertical yet, but doing utility work)
  • Farmer Arts (Farmer/University apartments, not vertical yet, but doing utility work)
  • Oliv/Collective
  • Westin
  • Hyatt Place
  • 777 Tower
  • Novus Garage
  • Aura Watermark Office/Apartments
  • The Pier
  • The Grand--office and apartments
  • Canopy Hilton
  • IDEA
  • The Local (pretty much done except for ground floor Whole Foods)
  • Park Place
  • Gilbane apartments
  • Metro 101 apartments
  • Tempe Crossroads apartments
  • Bunch of stuff around Rio Salado/101--Rio 2100, Broadstone Rio Salado, etc.
  • A few additional smaller townhome projects west of Farmer

Bunch of other stuff in the pipeline--Omni hotel, Farmer Arts 2 office, Hilo, 707 S. Forest, "The Hayden/6th and College hotel, Aspen Heights student housing, Eastline Village, Vib hotel, Skyview apartments, etc.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:33 AM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:17 PM
Skyriser

I have to wonder how they will do dust control on such an enormous lot. I bet the county is going to have a fit.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I have to wonder how they will do dust control on such an enormous lot. I bet the county is going to have a fit.
No kidding - especially with the proximity to L202 - a good thunderstorm coming up form the south is going to drastically reduce visibility there very quickly.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 12:35 AM

ABOR approves a new Pedestrian bridge across University near Rural

Quote from https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ts/2380462001/

"The university on Thursday received approvals from the Arizona Board of Regents related to several large construction projects, including ... a pedestrian bridge in Tempe .... A new pedestrian bridge will cross University Drive near the Rural Road intersection. The bridge will connect ISTB 7 on the south side of University with the Novus Innovation Corridor on the north side, which is also under construction."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest