HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Near North Side neighbors ready to fight 43-story apartment tower plan

"Fifield Cos. wants to construct the 406-unit building on a parking lot at Maple Street and LaSalle Drive, along the west side of the Gold Coast Galleria condominium tower at 111 W. Maple St., according to the condo association."

"Residents believe the proposed 457-foot-tall tower is too ambitious for the size of the site, saying it would block sunlight and air flow, snarl traffic and reduce property values, said Wolfgang Suess, treasurer of the condo board and a spokesman for residents in the 34-story Galleria."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...3ru-story.html
Are you serious, no one is entitled to their sunlight, their airflow, and how will their property values be "reduced". Is there evidence that building highrises in large dense cities decrease values of property in any neighborhood. If the current Nimby environment that exist today in Chicago existed many years ago, i doubt that Chicago would have ever evolved into the great metropolis that it is today.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:55 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Seems like it would be this thin lot. Any renderings? Seems like it would be a skinny building from the street view at least:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9018...7i16384!8i8192

My guess is that it gets chopped down around 10 stories when this is over and ends up being anywhere from 25 to 35 stories instead of 43.
Looks like it's the whole corner site, the red brick apartment would be torn down. There's also mention of the tower podium containing parking and community space for the church. Seems like the church is a key partner in this venture, they may have even recruited Fifield.

Ideally this development scheme gets reversed so the tower ends up on the church's parking lot north of Maple, while the corner site south of Maple just becomes a church parking garage. Win win for everybody, it knocks out two surface lots, preserves views and gives Fifield a slightly bigger site with more flexibility for an efficient tower. They could even set it up so ALL the parking is south of Maple in a consolidated garage, and the tower could have a "tower in a park" design that fits LaSalle better with a soft touch.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:49 AM
Small but Mighty

^^Why would the church want to do that? They can sell the one lot now and then sell the other one later. They'll get twice (or probably more) value instead of just selling everything at once. Churches aren't in the best of financial positions so I can see why they would want to maximize their assets, although I agree that would be the best scenario.

Also that little building they are going to tear down doesn't really have much going for it except for its entrance on LaSalle. Absolutely gorgeous entrance.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Looks like it's the whole corner site, the red brick apartment would be torn down. There's also mention of the tower podium containing parking and community space for the church. Seems like the church is a key partner in this venture, they may have even recruited Fifield.

Ideally this development scheme gets reversed so the tower ends up on the church's parking lot north of Maple, while the corner site south of Maple just becomes a church parking garage. Win win for everybody, it knocks out two surface lots, preserves views and gives Fifield a slightly bigger site with more flexibility for an efficient tower. They could even set it up so ALL the parking is south of Maple in a consolidated garage, and the tower could have a "tower in a park" design that fits LaSalle better with a soft touch.
The parking lot on the NE corner of LaSalle and Maple is owned by a different church I believe (Church of the Ascension).

The proposed location is on the SE corner, which is where the similarly named Annunciation Orthodox Cathedral has its parking lot. It seems that both the small building right on the corner and the L shaped parking lot that wraps around it would be redeveloped under this proposal. The church has its greek fest in that parking lot every summer, which presumably would move into the community center portion of this proposal. That makes this a big win-win for the church and the developer.

The NE corner lot is also a potential development site. Since its only immediate neighbor is a car dealership, it would have an easier path without NIMBYs complaining about blocked views.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
The parking lot on the NE corner of LaSalle and Maple is owned by a different church I believe (Church of the Ascension).

The proposed location is on the SE corner, which is where the similarly named Annunciation Orthodox Cathedral has its parking lot. It seems that both the small building right on the corner and the L shaped parking lot that wraps around it would be redeveloped under this proposal. The church has its greek fest in that parking lot every summer, which presumably would move into the community center portion of this proposal. That makes this a big win-win for the church and the developer.

The NE corner lot is also a potential development site. Since its only immediate neighbor is a car dealership, it would have an easier path without NIMBYs complaining about blocked views.
The only views blocked anyway would be to the west, so not sure why the complaining.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
^^Why would the church want to do that? They can sell the one lot now and then sell the other one later. They'll get twice (or probably more) value instead of just selling everything at once. Churches aren't in the best of financial positions so I can see why they would want to maximize their assets, although I agree that would be the best scenario.

Also that little building they are going to tear down doesn't really have much going for it except for its entrance on LaSalle. Absolutely gorgeous entrance.
I would love to get the stone from that demo

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:01 PM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 9:00 PM

Old Town Park

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 10:08 PM

Nobu (w/ a little of Fulton east in the bkg) has made a bunch of progress on exterior trim details the last week or so. I believe they are finally about to open

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 2:04 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post

Penitentiary style?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Penitentiary style?
Totally clueless regarding the structural elements they are trying to mimic.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 2:34 PM

Wow its been so long, I forgot Nobu was still under construction.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 5:22 PM

Maple & LaSalle Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Looks like it's the whole corner site, the red brick apartment would be torn down.
If it includes knocking down the apartment building, then I have no problem opposing this development. There's no need for that. Plenty of parking lot space to consume.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Nobu (w/ a little of Fulton east in the bkg) has made a bunch of progress on exterior trim details the last week or so. I believe they are finally about to open
Perfect timing lol. Unreal how long this took.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 6:15 PM

^ I think they were trying to defeat the Navy Pier Flyover and the Ravenswood Metra Station Update for longest construction project in this cycle.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
If it includes knocking down the apartment building, then I have no problem opposing this development. There's no need for that. Plenty of parking lot space to consume.
Across the street yes. That lot is pretty skinny so they can build something on it without knocking down the smaller building - would be less units of course. My guess is that's going to happen anyway. In this area (my former neighborhood) that's the way some things go. It'll probably get a 10 story height drop.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Penitentiary style?
Hopefully there still adding because based on some previous rendering images there was some additional accent elements...but who knows this building has been through how many developers i wouldn't be surprised if they cheaped out and changed some stuff...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:36 AM

Chicago | Omni Grand - 363 (?) W Grand

June 25

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 3:08 AM

Bentham Rising

June 25

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:16 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
It's a tricky site, they CAN put the tower to the south of the apartment but then it overshadows the church, and the church may not accept that since this is their project.

As noted, the lot north of Maple belongs to a different church so that is not in play here.

The Assumption Church project at Illinois and Franklin is a good example of a church and a highrise playing nice together, but they had more space to work with.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations