HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Building a wall to keep the scary black people out is not "urban renewal" and is absolutely unchristian.

That said most urban renewal projects were soaked in racism and other archaic ideas.
I'm not saying it was right, I'm just saying that Moody's is similar to a lot of 60s developments that run along Lasalle all the way to North Ave. Those projects, which include Carl Sandburg village, were called Urban Renewal.

I do think it's silly to call an architectural/development trend unchristian. Is Carl Sandburg village unchristian? Are the gold coast townhomes a block east Christian? Are they more Christian than a ranch house in the suburbs?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 3:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Ah yes, let us not blame the religious organization for turning its back on the most in need.... But I am not a Christian, so what do I know?
Easy on the phobia. Imagine if you directed that hate towards a different religious group. You wouldn’t be too proud of yourself. The Moody campus wasn’t built to keep Cabrini people separated from neighborhoods to the east. What an absurd implication.

I was recently at a pre-construction walk through there and Moody representatives welcomed contractors, of all ethnicities, by starting the meeting in prayer. It was refreshing. I can tell you they’re good people.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I dunno if the people on Delaware would appreciate that. More realistic is linking Walton through to LaSalle... the building in the way (Dryer Hall) has already been shuttered by Moody and no doubt it will be torn down by whoever buys the land.
The idea assumes that what goes up on the Moody’s land will be an extension of the Gold Coast, not more mixed-income stuff.

But you’re right, it probably won’t be, and no one should get their hopes up about this. It won’t even be on par with LSE architecturally, because Lightfoot’s administration is going to insist on lots of affordable units, etc.

We’re going to get a lot of painted concrete, punched out windows, cheap-looking balconies and blank parking garage walls.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:29 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
I dunno if the people on Delaware would appreciate that. More realistic is linking Walton through to LaSalle... the building in the way (Dryer Hall) has already been shuttered by Moody and no doubt it will be torn down by whoever buys the land.
Pushing Walton through to LaSalle seems like a dumb idea. It's a very short block to Oak. Connecting Locust to Delaware is a much more useful thing and I don't think any complainers on Delaware would have a leg to stand on. It's still a long way from an ideal setup for through traffic so it wouldn't attract too much, but it would be useful enough to take some pressure off Oak and Chicago as the area north of the Rowhouses fills in, while not being excessively disruptive to traffic flow on LaSalle.

Quote:
Ah yes, let us not blame the religious organization for turning its back on the most in need. Good call. Even if that was a good position in the 1980's, they have continued to shun their neighbors for the last 20 years after Cabrini Green was torn down and its residents dispersed. Instead of renovating their facilities or opening their doors to their neighbors with their more recent buildings, they have remained insular, isolating themselves behind thick brick walls and parking garages like they were some commuter campus for people living far away. But I am not a Christian, so what do I know?
Most colleges and universities aren't particularly integrated into their communities, especially when they're as small as Moody is. Even larger ones are often insular - Yale gets a lot of flack for not being more involved with its surroundings, although they've started to do more than they used to. Moody is also first and foremost a college. It's not a church, and even though Moody Church shares the name of the same person, they are completely distinct organizations with no legal or denomination affiliation. So it's mission is to educate it's students, not to provide support to it's neighbors.

That said, students there are *required* to participate in weekly outreach programs. My understanding is that they are mostly free to choose to volunteer their time at almost any existing outreach, mission, or social service organization in the City, so they go all over the city to do that work, not just the Near North Side. I'm sure some students do volunteer locally in the neighborhood, but there are more than enough agencies in the city that needed help that their impact is not necessarily easily accounted into some convenient measure of what they accomplish. They're also mostly undergraduates, so there's only so much value they're going to add at any given place.

You should probably also realize that even though they're not a commuter campus (undergraduates are required to stay in college controlled housing), they do run a rather large correspondence school from that campus, so there is a lot if work being done that isn't visible because it's done remotely. Asking a correspondence school to be more involved with their neighbors is kind of silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Building a wall to keep the scary black people out is not "urban renewal" and is absolutely unchristian.

That said most urban renewal projects were soaked in racism and other archaic ideas.
The oldest parts of Moody's campus were built before the Cabrini rowhouses, and the Cabrini rowhouses weren't majority black when they were first constructed. Their campus may have accumulated some land due to "urban renewal," and Moody didn't fight against it (why would they? it was conventional wisdom that it would benefit residents when it was built - and the Rowhouses likely did benefit the original white occupants) but they weren't the driving force causing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Easy on the phobia. Imagine if you directed that hate towards a different religious group. You wouldn’t be too proud of yourself. The Moody campus wasn’t built to keep Cabrini people separated from neighborhoods to the east. What an absurd implication.

I was recently at a pre-construction walk through there and Moody representatives welcomed contractors, of all ethnicities, by starting the meeting in prayer. It was refreshing. I can tell you they’re good people.
Officially both by policy and by stated theology, Moody is against racism. In practice, it has at times struggled with perfectly implementing practices that are tolerant and supportive of diversity. And moreso than just any place is imperfect in that regard. Separating race, culture, and religion seem to especially create challenges for the school administrators. Based on what I've heard from people affiliated with Moody, the school wants to be open and inclusive, it's just mostly run and populated by people who are either from very white areas, it whose experience with diversity is as missionaries in situations where things often end up being run like the "white man is here to save you" both in the religious sense and the technological and economic development sense.

So, yes, most of the people at Moody have kindness in their hearts and want to do the right thing. But they're operating from a cultural disadvantage much of the time.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:36 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The idea assumes that what goes up on the Moody’s land will be an extension of the Gold Coast, not more mixed-income stuff.

But you’re right, it probably won’t be, and no one should get their hopes up about this. It won’t even be on par with LSE architecturally, because Lightfoot’s administration is going to insist on lots of affordable units, etc.

We’re going to get a lot of painted concrete, punched out windows, cheap-looking balconies and blank parking garage walls.
Maybe you're right, but the City has near-complete control over the redevelopment if the former Cabrini-Green land, so hopefully the develops who get the Moody and can argue that the area will have a lot of mixed income housing provided by that, and be able to resist any pressure to provide more than the bare minimum of affordable housing to be able to financially support some good design.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
But they're operating from a cultural disadvantage much of the time.
This is exactly the point I was driving towards.

The institution, according to its own principles, is spreading the word of their religion in everything they do. A design is a choice that reflects the values of the designers and the institution. I lived in New Haven, CT and completely agree with your assessment of Yale and many colleges and universities that struggle to integrate themselves into the cities, towns, and neighborhoods in which they reside. Town-gown relations are often problematic, made worse when there are literal gates separating the schools from the cities.

I don't feel that anything I've said is phobic or off base. The students and administrators of Moody's may have love in their hearts but fail to see how their own campus insulates and isolates themselves, contrary to their intentions. I think it's a fair criticism that could be leveled against any institution that so explicitly tries to abide by their religious, moral, and philosophical points of view.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
This is exactly the point I was driving towards.

The institution, according to its own principles, is spreading the word of their religion in everything they do. A design is a choice that reflects the values of the designers and the institution. I lived in New Haven, CT and completely agree with your assessment of Yale and many colleges and universities that struggle to integrate themselves into the cities, towns, and neighborhoods in which they reside. Town-gown relations are often problematic, made worse when there are literal gates separating the schools from the cities.

I don't feel that anything I've said is phobic or off base. The students and administrators of Moody's may have love in their hearts but fail to see how their own campus insulates and isolates themselves, contrary to their intentions. I think it's a fair criticism that could be leveled against any institution that so explicitly tries to abide by their religious, moral, and philosophical points of view.
I think this is really easy for all of us to say, who cares deeply about the urban environment. I don't think most normal people give it a second thought. Not only do they not care about the urban environment, they probably most certainly don't judge or even conceive that design could impact racial or moral issues. So I wouldn't think too far into their design 30-40 years ago...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 4:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Pushing Walton through to LaSalle seems like a dumb idea. It's a very short block to Oak. Connecting Locust to Delaware is a much more useful thing and I don't think any complainers on Delaware would have a leg to stand on. It's still a long way from an ideal setup for through traffic so it wouldn't attract too much, but it would be useful enough to take some pressure off Oak and Chicago as the area north of the Rowhouses fills in, while not being excessively disruptive to traffic flow on LaSalle.
There's no perfect solution here; the streets don't line up across LaSalle and even Delaware only extends one block further to Clark before it dead-ends at Washington Square.

Honestly I'm not sure we'll get any new streets out of this; developers don't necessarily want superblocks anymore and recognize the benefits of having good street connections, but the City will demand that any new streets conform to CDOT guidelines which are very costly, and they might not allow more traffic signals to be added on LaSalle to avoid creating traffic jams.

More likely is that we just get good pedestrian and bike connections across the site, which is sort of an improved version of what exists now.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
There's no perfect solution here; the streets don't line up across LaSalle and even Delaware only extends one block further to Clark before it dead-ends at Washington Square.

Honestly I'm not sure we'll get any new streets out of this; developers don't necessarily want superblocks anymore and recognize the benefits of having good street connections, but the City will demand that any new streets conform to CDOT guidelines which are very costly, and they might not allow more traffic signals to be added on LaSalle to avoid creating traffic jams.

More likely is that we just get good pedestrian and bike connections across the site, which is sort of an improved version of what exists now.
And that’s fine. It’s important that “streets” create connectivity between neighborhoods, but those streets don’t necessarily need to accommodate vehicle traffic.

Some of the best pedestrian corridors in London are where the flow of automobile traffic is interrupted but the street continues from the perspective of a pedestrian.

A very high end example here, where New Bond Street is separated from Old Bond Street by a tiny pedestrian plaza:
https://goo.gl/maps/qNZpLeEi49jMrz4WA
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I think this is really easy for all of us to say, who cares deeply about the urban environment. I don't think most normal people give it a second thought. Not only do they not care about the urban environment, they probably most certainly don't judge or even conceive that design could impact racial or moral issues. So I wouldn't think too far into their design 30-40 years ago...
Two issues here. First, they keep taking the same approach with new buildings. At this point, it is an entrenched mentality. Second, their anti-urban designs were shaping up decades after urban designers in Chicago and elsewhere were actively trying to separate black from white neighborhoods with interstate highways and other schemes. And this was taking place after redlining was taking place, too. These are topics worth talking about today, here, now.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:04 PM

Finally got my camera back after loaning it my brother. Sorry for the hiatus!

Old Town Park peaking just barely peaking over from River Point:

I noticed what looks like a yellow crane here... anyone know what I'm looking at? Didn't think Streeterville had any active projects.

Lake Shore East Projects are in full swing now, prepare your bananas!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
I noticed what looks like a yellow crane here... anyone know what I'm looking at? Didn't think Streeterville had any active projects.

Bonobo, that's the American Furniture Mart's crown!

Thanks for all the extensive updates!

Last edited by The Lurker; Aug 2, 2019 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:56 PM

I really feel like Bonobo kind of IS the late Rob Ford at this point, or at least that's what I imagine when he's roaming around.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Lake Shore East Projects are in full swing now, prepare your bananas!

I saw Case had a telecrawler there too

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 12:35 AM

Bentham

Looks like Bentham has finally resumed construction

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/8/1/...bentham-update

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Bonobo, that's the American Furniture Mart's crown!

Thanks for all the extensive updates!
You know what... that makes a whole lot of sense

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I really feel like Bonobo kind of IS the late Rob Ford at this point, or at least that's what I imagine when he's roaming around.
It would be a dream come true

side note: had no clue that the Bentham had even started before this recent work.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 4:38 AM
Ex Houstonian

What's going up at that Lake Shore East project, any renderings? I'm out of the loop.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
What's going up at that Lake Shore East project, any renderings? I'm out of the loop.
There will be 3 total new buildings there, but only 1 has received a building permit so far but I'm sure the 2nd one (Cirrus) will get one soon. More info:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/7/22...t-construction

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There will be 3 total new buildings there, but only 1 has received a building permit so far but I'm sure the 2nd one (Cirrus) will get one soon. More info:
https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/7/22...t-construction
That was good timing. The 2nd building, Cirrus (condos), got its first new construction permit yesterday. So you should be able to see 2 towers rise at once which also makes sense because they share part of a base.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations