HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 10:11 PM
BANNED

I carry

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:36 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Has anyone seen the Spike TV show "Players"? Its got former UCB people in it, and I guess it just got picked up for a few more episodes. I only mention it because it takes place in Phoenix. You can see whole episodes online, they show a stock skyline of Phoenix and the sports bar where it takes place has little Southwestern touches like saguaro neon lights. The shots are pretty recent that they use of Downtown, they have the Sheraton in them. You can see an episode here:
http://www.spike.com/full-episode/kristas-mom/36432

Though the episode I just started watching had a character say "Hey I just got a new condo downtown, by the water"...odd...maybe he means Tempe

Anyway, they don't shoot it here, its all shot in a studio in LA somewhere but its cool to see a show set here.

Last edited by HooverDam; Apr 30, 2010 at 8:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:41 PM
BANNED

AZ economy

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...ecast0430.html

Quote:
New projections show severe job loss in Ariz.

State Commerce Dept. forecasting 50,400 positions will be lost this year

Betty Beard - Apr. 29, 2010 05:11 PM
The Arizona Republic

Arizona is expected to lose about 50,400 jobs this year and gain about 23,100 next year, the Arizona Department of Commerce said Thursday in its twice-a-year job forecast.

That is worse than the department projected in its last forecast in October when it said the state was likely to lose 17,300 jobs this year. In fact, Thursday's forecast is the third consecutive one in which job losses are projected to be worse than previously thought.

Department economist Aruna Murthy said the agency increased the number of job losses expected this year because last year's losses - about 189,000 or 7.3 percent compared with 2008 - were deeper than expected and problems such as credit tightness, high debt overhangs and reduced wealth still linger.

The latest forecast doesn't include the possible effects of a vote for or against Proposition 100, a 1 percent state sales-tax increase on the May 18 ballot, or of boycotts resulting from the state's controversial new immigration law.

Murthy said there was no way to guess the effects of those without hard data.

The Goldwater Institute estimates passage of Proposition 100 would cost the state about 14,400 private-sector jobs because it would reduce the consumer spending that supports retail jobs.

But the University of Arizona's Economic and Business Research Center says passage would save more than 13,000 jobs and preserve more than $442 million in federal matching funds. It says much of the estimated $918 million in increased revenues the state would receive would be spent on products and services provided by private companies.

The Commerce Department says the only sectors expected to gain jobs this year are educational and health services, with an expected increase of 2.7 percent, and leisure and hospitality, 0.3 percent.

Murthy said educational and health services will gain positions because private schools and colleges are seeing a big influx in students training or retraining for jobs and medical jobs will grow as the Baby Boomers age.

The leisure and hospitality sector, which includes hotels, resorts, restaurants, bars and movie theaters, is expected to add jobs because consumers will feel more like treating themselves as the economy improves, she said. Also, as the worldwide economy improves, international tourism may pick up.

Six sectors are expected to gain next year: manufacturing; natural resources and mining; trade (including retail), transportation and utilities; professional and business services (including temp jobs); educational and health services, and leisure and hospitality.

About half the job gains expected next year will be temporary or contracted employees. The department projects an increase of 12,400 of those posts.
"The leisure and hospitality sector, which includes hotels, resorts, restaurants, bars and movie theaters, is expected to add jobs....Also, as the worldwide economy improves, international tourism may pick up."

This is a huge assumption. If anything, the EU is worse off this year than last.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:38 PM
BANNED

maybe down by the water meant he is a los angeles resident who forgot he was taping a show?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 4:45 PM

^ It also ignores the fallout from SB1070's passage in Arizona. I can pretty much assure you we will see fewer visitors to Arizona as a result.

You know, this is what happens when you build an economy around sprawl largely predicated on the construction of single family homes. Low taxes means generally a poor education system and the government here lacks the tools to compete with other wealthier states. I am starting to think that sprawl and high automobile usage results in a dehumanizing effect on some people, where they become more selfish and care less about their city as a result. Then they become more reactionary and vote to give up civil rights...

--don

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 5:03 PM

apparently there is another new show that takes place in the valley. "Sunset Daze"... a real housewives type of show except the cast is made up of seniors. Kinda cool to have a show based out of here, but not cool that all it is going to showcase is Surprise, endless subdivisions of senior citizen communities, the same stereotype that everyone already has of phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 5:58 PM

Don, please move. I really don't understand why people like you don't move. Just move to San Francisco where your life will so obviously be better.

Are you one of those people that incessantly complains about something, yet does nothing about it? Do people in real life even like you or is it just the veil of the computer/internet forum that allows you to be a person that seems fairly insufferable?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
I am starting to think that sprawl and high automobile usage results in a dehumanizing effect on some people, where they become more selfish and care less about their city as a result.
Absolutely. It changes the behavior of the populace. This is why people are somewhat reluctant to go DT in Phx, because, god forbid, they may have to interact with others in an unfamiliar urban setting.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:06 PM
BANNED

^ Not good.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Don, please move. I really don't understand why people like you don't move. Just move to San Francisco where your life will so obviously be better.

Are you one of those people that incessantly complains about something, yet does nothing about it? Do people in real life even like you or is it just the veil of the computer/internet forum that allows you to be a person that seems fairly insufferable?
Don is a repeat criminal who wants to be a lawyer. Who better to complain about enforcement of LAWS.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:25 PM
The Man

Quote:
I would typically agree. Don does seem to just have a loathing for Phoenix, and I don't understand why people like that stay and bitch about everything instead of finding a new city that will actually make them happy.

This is an odd post to call him out on though since he's pretty much right...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:51 PM

Yep, I agree with Don this time and I usually roll my eye when I read one of his whaa posts. But he has a point here, this city and the suburb cities banked for decades on the construction industry, simply expecting more single family homes to sustain the economy. It was great while it lasted but eventually we were going to hit a wall and we did. I don’t think there are going to be very many proponents on this forum that favor sprawl, even though most of us probably live in these types of communities. There’s nothing wrong with pointing out that we live in a city full of neighborhoods where no one seems to know each other, where people prefer their blocked in back yards than spending time in an urban core. Trust me I grew up here, it’s the “get off of my land” mentality, and to change that into a culture that embraces urbanization is going to take a long, long, long time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
There’s nothing wrong with pointing out that we live in a city full of neighborhoods where no one seems to know each other, where people prefer their blocked in back yards than spending time in an urban core. Trust me I grew up here, it’s the “get off of my land” mentality, and to change that into a culture that embraces urbanization is going to take a long, long, long time.
Speak for yourself. I know and socialize with everybody in my neighborhood. We get together for neighborhood get togethers or just to let the kids play. Guess that's what its like living in Phoenix' original urban sprawl circa the late 1920s.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:05 PM

Yeah, and your probably speaking for yourself as well as I bet you that you are in the minority. I too grew up in an older neighborhood where everyone new each other but as soon I purchased my first home that all changed. The reality is that those types of neighborhoods are rare. You have to agree that for the most part the metro area is dominated by new track housing which doesn't equate to established neighborhoods.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:56 PM

I dunno, my good friend lives, of all places, in Maricopa... the epitome of the horrid track sprawl neighborhood. But he and his neighbors are completely best of friends, they hang out, all the families watch each others' kids, etc. That area isn't for me, which is why I live in central phoenix. But, different strokes for different folks.

But as for Don, the grass is always greener on the other side. Rest assured, even the "urban utopian" cities have their own major problems. Hopefully when you get there those problems don't bother you as much.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDweller View Post
Don is a repeat criminal who wants to be a lawyer. Who better to complain about enforcement of LAWS.
A "repeat criminal?" Do tell...

By the way, your comment is the very definition of an "ad hominem attack." I won't bother educating you, though, since you think it is perfectly fine to give police more powers that surely will be abused...

--don

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 9:20 PM

Quote:

Actually, I have many real life friends and the photos to prove it, not that I need to prove anything to you. Do you always go about speculating on things that you know nothing about? Or are you so sensitive about Phoenix that any comment, no matter how accurate it may or may not be, will get your panties into a wad?

As for moving? No, I'm talking to Jon Talton to try and get him to move back here...LOL. His latest article is almost comical, in that if you think I'm overly critical, he makes me look like one of the infamous San Antonio boosters on this forum from some years ago:

http://www.roguecolumnist.typepad.com/rogue_columnist/

--don

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
A "repeat criminal?" Do tell...
How much time have you spent in correctional facilities? How many times have you been in the back of a police cruiser in cuffs? I judge you by your actions, not your words.
Quote:
By the way, your comment is the very definition of an "ad hominem attack." I won't bother educating you, though, since you think it is perfectly fine to give police more powers that surely will be abused...

--don
The law is the law. You obviously don't want to follow laws. As far as abuse, that can be addressed if and when it happens. Mere fear of abuses does not a bad piece of legislation make. Illegal immigration is just that... ILLEGAL.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 10:58 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDweller View Post
. Illegal immigration is just that... ILLEGAL.
So was throwing tea in Boston Harbor.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
So was throwing tea in Boston Harbor.
So you are saying that a good things can come from a bunch of rich, white, slave owning males not wanting to pay taxes?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest