HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 5:43 PM
Oak City

Second Skyhouse tower planned:

Will be on site adjacent to the first tower, creating a twin towers look. Source

Construction progress of Skyhouse tower 1:

Another 20 floor hotel announced.

Will be built atop Epicenter where 210 Trade condo tower was planned before the recession. No rendering yet, 2015 start date. Source.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 7:16 AM

initiald: thank you for doing such a great job of keeping this thread updated. Though I just the other day registered on here, I have been checking weekly for the past several years in hopes of seeing new projects announced. You are most often the one to post. I am now in architecture school at Clemson. Your constant updates over the years greatly helped feed that passion and propelled me in this direction. Just wanted to say thank you! Drove uptown tonight and its exciting to see it become more dense.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 1:45 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
initiald: thank you for doing such a great job of keeping this thread updated. Though I just the other day registered on here, I have been checking weekly for the past several years in hopes of seeing new projects announced. You are most often the one to post. I am now in architecture school at Clemson. Your constant updates over the years greatly helped feed that passion and propelled me in this direction. Just wanted to say thank you! Drove uptown tonight and its exciting to see it become more dense.
Thanks! I also update the Raleigh-Durham thread too.

Here are some new renderings of Spectrum Properties' 300 South Tryon tower from their marketing brochure:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:16 PM
Oak City

This photo shows the massive amount of development along the light rail line south of center city (the light rail line can be seen running vertically in the center. Ten years ago almost all of this was empty warehouses or parking lots.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 3:36 PM
Oak City

Another photo of Southend showing the developments along the light rail line:

Source

Here's a webcam snap of 24 floor Skyhouse Charlotte going up at about a floor per week on the north end of uptown:

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:04 PM
BANNED

I am curious why cities smaller than Charlotte are seeing exponentially more high-rise development. Cities such as Austin and Nashville. Any thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I am curious why cities smaller than Charlotte are seeing exponentially more high-rise development. Cities such as Austin and Nashville. Any thoughts?
Charlotte has one of the highest growth rates in the country, but the job growth is still slowly coming back after being hugely hit by the recession/banking crisis.

From what I see, it seems they've had a few highrises over the past 5 years and a few more planned. Also a lot of great infill projects going on.

I'm sure there are some Charlotte posters who can answer in more detail.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:00 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
before the crash Charlotte had a glut of condo towers built such as the 51 floor Vue. Demand is just now catching back up. Office tower demand was affected by Wachovia's buyout by Wells Fargo and the merger of Duke Energy and Progress Energy, but office occupancy rates are very high so demand has increased for more office towers. Here's a rundown of under construction and announced towers 10 floor and higher:

Under construction:

Skyhouse Charlotte Tower One - 24 floors

Childress-Klein apartments - 22 floors

Embassy Suites Uptown - 10 floors

Planned:

Tryon Place - 27 occupied floors (over 400 feet)

300 South Tryon - 25 occupied floors (over 400 feet)

Skyhouse Charlotte Tower Two - 24 floors

Levine properties hotel/condo at Midtown - 285 feet

Dual branded hotel at Epicenter - 20 floors

Springhill Suites at City Center Green - 17 floors

615 South College office tower - 15 floor

Tryon Place hotel component - ~10 floors

EDIT: I edited the list to add a few more I had forgot about.

Last edited by initiald; Jul 18, 2014 at 7:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:05 PM

And please point me to this exponential amount of highrises that are actually under construction in Nashville, would love to drive around and see them next time im home. We have one of the best proposers of highrises in the country, but they never seem to get built.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 7:19 PM
Oak City

NoDa is another neighborhood that is growing rapidly. In the image below you can see several housing projects including the big Mercury NoDa in the bottom left and the old mill conversion to condos in the bottom right. Just above that is an empty lot where the light rail station will soon be under construction.

Mercury NoDa rendering:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:06 PM
Me?!?

Keep up the good work with this thread! My company has a presence in Charlotte so I travel there occasionally for work and I have a few friends who have moved there, and another just moved there a few months ago. It is interesting to watch it grow and change and there is a lot about it I like. It's a much different animal than Philly (of course) but in a lot of ways, that is what I find charming about it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Keep up the good work with this thread! My company has a presence in Charlotte so I travel there occasionally for work and I have a few friends who have moved there, and another just moved there a few months ago. It is interesting to watch it grow and change and there is a lot about it I like. It's a much different animal than Philly (of course) but in a lot of ways, that is what I find charming about it.
Interestingly, I've spent lots of time in Philly and there are sections of Charlotte that remind me of Philly.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 7:40 PM
Chairman

Charlotte is much different than the last time of my visit. Thanks initiald for the aerials along the light rail.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 9:19 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Interestingly, I've spent lots of time in Philly and there are sections of Charlotte that remind me of Philly.
Really, which sections? I'm no Charlotte expert but I know enough to get by now, and only a few spots here and there kind of reminded me of Philly (and to be more specific, more so parts of metro Philly and not necessarily Philly proper).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Really, which sections? I'm no Charlotte expert but I know enough to get by now, and only a few spots here and there kind of reminded me of Philly (and to be more specific, more so parts of metro Philly and not necessarily Philly proper).
It was just a visceral reaction I had walking areas of Uptown that were dense with infill. Also, the Plaza-Midwood area, one of Charlotte's few funky areas.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 12:02 PM

I grew up in Charlotte (18 years) and then came to Philly for college where I've remained for 10 years now. I don't see many similarities between the two cities except maybe some of the Chestnut Hill mansions with tree lined streets have a similar quality as Myer's Park. Philly's W Market Street feels like uptown Charlotte. But outside of those stretch examples, I don't see them having a lot in common.

I'm glad that Charlotte is getting more infill projects. That is something that is needed. I would rather see 15 to 20 lowrise proposals for uptown than any highrises right now. That would help make uptown more walkable and add restaurants/shopping on more than just a single street. It'll get there. Love what I'm seeing and can't wait to visit again in a couple weeks.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 2:18 PM

Good grief. It was just a personal observation.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:31 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Good grief. It was just a personal observation.
Not sure why you are giving this response, you gave your opinion (and I was interested in hearing more, hence why I asked) and we had given ours...I enjoyed reading your take and ScreamShatter's.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you are giving this response, you gave your opinion (and I was interested in hearing more, hence why I asked) and we had given ours...I enjoyed reading your take and ScreamShatter's.
Just seemed like a strong response. All the best to you. I left a piece of my heart in Philly. Think Tasty Cakes are overrated however.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 9:24 PM

Austin smaller than Charlotte? Since when? Austin is the 11th largest city in the US, with about 100,000 more people than Charlotte.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations