HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

2022 Municipal Election

Well, Sam Merulla announced he will not run in the next election for Ward 4 councilor. Finally, after 20 years as councilor the ward will get a fresh face.

Sam Merulla calling it quits: ‘I’m implementing my own term limits’
Controversial councillor vows not to seek re-election in 2022
https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...-term-limits-/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 11:49 AM

Hamilton residents could face double-digit tax increases because of pandemic spending
(Hamilton Community News, Kevin Werner, June 16 2020)

Hamilton homeowners could see potentially double-digit tax increases within two years, capital projects delayed, the city’s reserved funds depleted and cutbacks in all services because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The troubling scenario was presented by Mike Zegarac, corporate finance general manager, at the June 15 general issues committee virtual meeting. He outlined a potential $60-million to $122-million deficit depending upon how long the city is forced to keep adhering to the province’s emergency orders.

Hamilton’s financial problems could extend well into 2021 and even 2022 with tax increases anywhere from seven to nearly 14 per cent.

“I’m feeling anxious given there isn’t a commitment from (the federal government to help municipalities),” said Zegarac, as he fielded questions from concerned councillors during the June 15 general issues committee meeting.…

“Not only are we facing an immediate fiscal challenge,” said Mayor Fred Eisenberger, “but we are facing 2021, and 2022 as challenges because transit is not going to come flying back the way it has in the past; the economy is not going to turn on a dime.”

Read it in full here.

Double-digit tax increases heading into a municipal election will help unseat incumbents.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Well, Sam Merulla announced he will not run in the next election for Ward 4 councilor. Finally, after 20 years as councilor the ward will get a fresh face.

Sam Merulla calling it quits: ‘I’m implementing my own term limits’
Controversial councillor vows not to seek re-election in 2022
https://www.thespec.com/opinion-stor...-term-limits-/
Good on Sam, but he's probably got some plum position lined up that will keep him in the city biz.

IMO the wards that really need fresh faces are 12 and 14 (especially 14)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy