HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:54 AM

Delete

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThebiteofSuarez View Post
here are some pics from Friday.

The only issue with the grand is the Color scheme that was picked. The concrete dates it. But....at the same time, if the glass was a darker color, it would be passible...... But with the blue tint, the concrete should have been a darker color. Other than that, its great honestly. More More More. I wish instead of trying to force multi family homes in residential neighborhoods, I wish the governor would have instead forced all of these vacant/underused buildings near downtowns (majority of DTLA tbh) to either revamp/remodel or sell. Sooooo many warehouses and old buildings sitting unused. DTLA needs to quickly be turned into the residential/commercial hub it needs to be. Don't get me wrong, very optimistic and the progressed being made is amazing but I want to be able to enjoy it before I'm 80 lol.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:25 AM

So yesterday was the first time I've had to really explore downtown since I moved back to LA after 20 years up north.

Even with COVID, it's clear that a corner has been turned. Even on a Sunday evening, there were lots of people sitting outdoors eating (and presumably, some of them, drinking), lots of people strolling and skateboarding and scooting around. Downtown has extended blocks and blocks to the south, with all the new residential complexes. And so many of the historic beauties that sat empty and grimy for years have finally been scrubbed and shined up. When the pandemic eventually fades, I see lots of potential for downtown. I know there's always been a Macy's, but I don't remember there being any mainstream retail stores in regular shopfronts like Foot Locker or Apple in the historic buildings back then. Downtown is nothing at all like what it was 20 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
So yesterday was the first time I've had to really explore downtown since I moved back to LA after 20 years up north.

Even with COVID, it's clear that a corner has been turned. Even on a Sunday evening, there were lots of people sitting outdoors eating (and presumably, some of them, drinking), lots of people strolling and skateboarding and scooting around. Downtown has extended blocks and blocks to the south, with all the new residential complexes. And so many of the historic beauties that sat empty and grimy for years have finally been scrubbed and shined up. When the pandemic eventually fades, I see lots of potential for downtown. I know there's always been a Macy's, but I don't remember there being any mainstream retail stores in regular shopfronts like Foot Locker or Apple in the historic buildings back then. Downtown is nothing at all like what it was 20 years ago.
downtown was horrid 20 years ago lol

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 3:28 AM

China Evergrande

Does anybody know if China Evergrande is involved with any of the DTLA projects under construction or proposed? Thanks

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 5:17 AM

^ I don't believe they are....but something to keep in mind if there's any possible domino effect. The oceanwide devlprs have failed in more accounting categories than even evergrande has.

Quote:
As the mess over China Evergrande Group — now the world’s most indebted developer — threatens to blow up that country’s real estate market, some of the most active Chinese developers in the U.S. have been flagged as risks.

Oceanwide Holdings, China Vanke and Greenland have each crossed at least one of the “three red lines” set by Chinese regulators. Failure to comply with the limits places restrictions on new borrowing.

Oceanwide, which has troubled skyscraper projects in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York, has crossed all three lines targeting liability levels, leverage and liquidity, according to a note from the investment bank Natixis.

The oceanwide proj on fig is small potatoes compared with this proj. It's in one of the less well known cities of china....but omg!....they overshot mkt demand by a huge margin. These bldgs were sitting unfinished for 8 yrs, so they got the oceanwide proj in dtla beat by a few yrs.

Video Link

UPDATE: I'm going to add this here...I think it's important to postings about new devlpt in dtla because a lack of enough investors has been a problem through the yrs. the block where the oceanwide proj is going up....& remains unfinished several yrs since groundbreaking....was previously where a false start up occurred quite awhile ago. I recall the other owner even put up a construction fence only to cancel their involvement.

The owner of an apt tower at 4th St & Hill, south of grand central mkt, was supposed to demolish the small taco house #1 bldg late last yr or earlier this yr. It's still standing there in an abandoned condition.

The devlpr of an apt midrise in little tokyo across from weller court was very slow in moving forward until not too long ago.

so a lack of capital has been a problem in dtla for several yrs.....now with money from China drying up, plans for other projs like the olympia probably will move even slower. Or they'll be cancelled altogether.

Video Link

craigs & la21st posts got me to thinking how something this over the top wouldn't have been considered in the past....its monthly rate is over the top even for bev hills or west la, so I don't think it will fill any faster than those apt towers in that chinese city would have. But it does reflect how dtla has progressed to a higher point over the past 5-10 yrs.

A lot of what is occurring in dt is fairly standard by most major cities throughout the country & world. So for dtla to move to another level has been long needed & is really quite overdue.

Video Link

Last edited by citywatch; Sep 21, 2021 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 2:51 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Moderator Note: A reminder that attacking other users is against forum rules and will result in consequences. I know a lot of you did not like Illithid Dude's comments, but if this were a New York thread, 2 of you would already be suspended, without much to do. Illithid Dude and I are much less heavy-handed, and prefer any issues to be worked out like adults. Just because you don't agree with someone's opinion on a project does not give you carte blanche to attack them personally.

Just-In-Cali and scania, consider this an official warning. The next personal attack of any forumer will result in a suspension. Keep it clean and cordial out there people. It's okay to disagree, address the argument, and don't attack the person. If you can't do that, we don't need you here.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 3:35 AM

This is the bldg directly to the south of the recently opened Tower theater apple store:

Video Link

Some ppl complain about the concrete & paint color of the Grand ave proj, while I think the unpainted, exposed ductwork of interiors like the apts in the singer bldg look unfinished....way too much a format that makes me think of 'hey, we ran out of money'.

meanwhile, this really IS embarrassing to dtla & LA in general. The design features of a proj on Grand ave or the look of new apts on Broadway pale in comparison to allowing things like this to get as bad as it does....I imagine this clean up will last only a few hours.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 3:14 PM

Bloomberg article on oceanwide yesterday. At least it's getting some media attention as side effect from Evergrande
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rgrande-swoons

Interesting snippets
Quote:
China Oceanwide Holdings’ Hong Kong-based development subsidiary has been warning in regulatory filings this year that if it can’t complete plans to bolster its finances, such as restructuring debts and selling part of its portfolio, it might not be able to continue to “operate as a going concern.”

A deal reached in March to sell properties on Oahu in Hawaii, where the developer plans an 800-room Atlantis-brand resort, ultimately fell apart because Oceanwide “could not agree to the legal structure and consideration,” the company reported. A $900 million refinancing plan for the Los Angeles project collapsed in June after due diligence.

Meanwhile, the business is pursuing other deals -- working with commercial real estate services company Jones Lang LaSalle Inc., for example, as it explores options for the Los Angeles project.

“We’re discussing different forms of cooperation with multiple potential parties, including for new fundraising,” a company representative in Beijing said in a written statement. Oceanwide is seeking to offload its main office complex in Beijing and has discussed a potential price of about $3.1 billion, Bloomberg reported this month.

Oceanwide’s Los Angeles and San Francisco projects skipped their property tax payments for the fiscal year ending June 30 and are racking up late penalties at an 18% annual interest rate, online county tax records show.
In other news, the Proper Hotel on Broadway & 11th is finally opening October 7th per their Instagram.

Last edited by nmkef; Sep 23, 2021 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 11:01 PM

sneak peak of Desmond's Building (612 S. Broadway) interior restoration

https://twitter.com/omgivning

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 12:46 AM

At least LA's stalled Oceanwide towers are topped off and mostly sealed--the San Francisco Oceanwide project is a big, gaping hole in the heart of downtown SF, and it's really noticeable.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 12:55 AM

Moxy and AC Hotel tower tops out in DTLA

Convention Center-adjacent hotel tower scheduled to open in 2022

Steven Sharp
Urbanize LA
September 23, 2021

As the hotel industry recovers from the dramatic slow-down in tourism resulting from the global pandemic, real estate investment firm Lightstone has reached a key milestone at a new Convention Center-adjacent-complex in Downtown.

As of this month, construction has topped out at the dual-branded Moxy Los Angeles Downtown and AC Hotel Los Angeles Downtown, which will occupy a 37-story tower at the northeast corner of Figueroa Street and Pico Boulevard. The 600,000-square-foot, 727-key development will be split between a 380-room Moxy and a 347-room AC Hotel.

“[The] topping out represents an exciting milestone for our growing hospitality portfolio and we are thrilled to bring the Moxy and AC Hotel brands to Downtown L.A. on the heels of successful openings in New York City and Miami,” said Lightstone president Mitchell Hochberg in a news release. “Offering two unique experiences at one address, coupled with an unparalleled slate of shared programming, we are confident both brands will resonate with visitors to the Convention Center and Staples Center and locals alike.”

Designed by Gensler the tower will also include 65,000 square feet of meeting space, restaurants, bars, and other gathering spaces. A podium structure containing 300 parking spaces (and wrapped in 22,000 square feet of digital signage) will be capped by a landscaped pool deck. Plans also call for a sky lobby with a bar on the 34th floor of the tower.
. . . .

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:08 AM

Also, this is relevant to downtown specifically, as well as to the city and region generally:

Appeals court strikes down sweeping order to house L.A.'s skid row homeless

Benjamin Oreskes, Maura Dolan, David Zahniser
Los Angeles Times
Sept. 23, 2021

A federal appeals court on Thursday unanimously overturned a judge’s decision that would have required Los Angeles to offer some form of shelter or housing to the entire homeless population of skid row by October.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that U.S. District Judge David O. Carter, who issued the homelessness order in the spring, failed to follow basic legal requirements. It was a sharp rebuke of Carter, who has focused intently on homelessness, regularly venturing into encampments at all hours of the day, engaging with a wide array of officials responding to the crisis and issuing rulings on the subject in both Los Angeles and in Orange County, where he lives.

The ruling Thursday applied to only one slice of the sprawling lawsuit — the order to clear skid row of tents — but it called into question its broader underpinnings.

The panel said most of those who sued the city and county of L.A. had no legal right, or standing, to bring the case. Carter deployed “novel” legal theories that no one had argued, and ruled on claims that no one had alleged and on evidence that was not before him, the 9th Circuit said.

“The district court relied on hundreds of facts contained in various publications for their truth, and a significant number of facts directly [underpinning the order] are subject to reasonable dispute,” wrote Judge Jacqueline H. Nguyen, who was appointed by President Obama.

Carter’s order, which sent shock waves through local government, stemmed from a lawsuit brought by a coalition of downtown business owners, residents and some formerly homeless people. The city and county of Los Angeles appealed.

The 9th Circuit noted that Carter, appointed by President Clinton, based his decision on racial discrimination, though the lawsuit by the L.A. Alliance for Human Rights did not allege racism was a factor.

“Because plaintiffs brought no race-based claims, they did not allege or present any evidence that any individual plaintiff or LA Alliance member is Black — much less Black and unhoused, a parent, or at risk of losing their children,” Nguyen wrote.

Moreover, the 9th Circuit said, there was no evidence that any plaintiff was Black, risked family disruption or was confined to skid row.

“The district court undoubtedly has broad equitable power to remedy legal violations that have contributed to the complex problem of homelessness in Los Angeles,” wrote Nguyen, who was joined by two other Obama appointees. “But that power must be exercised consistent” with the law.
. . . .

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:28 AM

This makes no sense at all. The 9th circuit says LA can't disallow homeless sleeping on the street, but it overturns a order that provides housing?

This feels so rigged it's hilarous.

And why is Carter bringing race into this when it's clear all races are on the street? Is he a moron?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:31 AM
Paramoderator

This was expected. Though I truly appreciate the message the Judge was trying to send, from what I gather, his legal methodology for doing so was controversial to say the least.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 2:24 AM

Yeah, very rarely does a Circuit Court of Appeals spank a District Court judge quite so hard. That ruling is all about how the legal system is supposed to work, and while the local judge's concern for the homeless is laudable, his contorted approach to questions of fact and questions of law is simply not allowed. He was winging it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:11 PM

Could someone please explain what this appeals court ruling means in practical terms with regards to the homeless situation in LA?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 1:39 AM

The existing parking lot on 11th/Albany just got a loan to build a new parking structure. Only mentioning it so that no one gets their hopes up when they see construction.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301384543.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 2:52 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ At first I thought that might be a replacement for the proposed 32-story hotel, but that's a couple blocks south. Interesting place for a parking garage. They must be anticipating a big return for games and conventions. That being said, I feel like there's enough parking already for both.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Could someone please explain what this appeals court ruling means in practical terms with regards to the homeless situation in LA?
I only moved back here in June, but my understanding of this ruling is that it doesn't really affect the homeless situation as it exists right now. If the District Court decision had been affirmed, however, a couple thousand skid row residents would have ended up with some sort of shelter, somewhere, somehow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations