HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Sun Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 2:06 PM

Regardless, when completed this will be A. very sought after housing and B. one of the great urban success stories of recent times. Ambitious and thankfully though snobby at times, SF tends to get nuanced issues that other cities might be ignorant to.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Regardless, when completed this will be A. very sought after housing and B. one of the great urban success stories of recent times. Ambitious and thankfully though snobby at times, SF tends to get nuanced issues that other cities might be ignorant to.
Those of us who have spent any time on Treasure Island (I worked there for 7 years), have trouble agreeing with any of that. People who romanticize TI have mostly spent little time there.

The place is cold, windy and an access nightmare. Unless some way is created to get to and from the island by rapid transit and/or car that is independent of Bay Bridge traffic (even a 24 hour ferry isn't good enough), I personally would never want to live there and I have trouble imagining others would and certainly that they would pay a premium to do so.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
. . . Treasure Island is destined to be filled with high-rise buildings, an expanded marina, shops, a hotel, and nearly 8,000 condos and apartments. A groundbreaking is anticipated late next year, with infrastructure expected to be in place that’s needed to start selling lots to builders a year later.

Closely linked building plans for Yerba Buena Island could break ground one year later, in 2012, but construction might proceed more quickly than those on the outcrop’s artificially made neighbor.

That’s because extensive engineering work is required to protect Treasure Island, which was built from Bay dredge for the 1939 World’s Fair, from liquefaction during earthquakes and flooding caused by sea-level rise, according to Kheay Loke, project manager for master developer Wilson Meany Sullivan.

“Yerba Buena Island is pretty darned strong,” Loke said. “Come early 2013, you should be able to go and have your picnic up there” . . . .
Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Hill...#ixzz0kFpsYfgr

I'm not sure I believe much development is going to happen there this quickly either, but maybe . . . .

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 11:26 PM

New View of the Treasure Island Skyline I found at http://www.sftreasureisland.org/index.aspx?page=26

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 3:24 PM

From: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...island_eir.php

Quote:
Treasure Island EIR
Tuesday, July 13, 2010, by Andrew Wietstock

In the first bit of news in a very planning-heavy news day, the Planning Department released the Draft Environmental Impact Report for Treasure Island yesterday. The high points include 8,000 housing units, 140,000 square feet of new commercial and retail space, up to 100,000 square feet of new office space, adaptive reuse of 311,000 square feet of commercial, retail, and flex space, roughly 500 hotel rooms, new and upgraded public and community facilities, 300 acres of new parks and public spaces, waterside facilities for the Treasure Island Sailing Center, and a new Ferry Terminal. The Planning Department expects full build-out over the next 15 to 20 years.

At four volumes, this should all make for some riveting light reading. Public comment will be accepted until August 26, with a public hearing scheduled for August 12.

Some images I found in the EIR Documents

http://www.sfplanning.org/index.aspx?page=1828

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:17 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for pulling those out! I haven't taken the time to even download those docs yet. Those first two are really interesting. I haven't really thought about how this will all look from either the bridge or TI Rd, just from the city. Driving along the causeway will provide quite an impressive sight.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:51 PM

Treasure Island: ambitious plan for development

April 17, 2011

Read More: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNHE1IJT3A.DTL

Quote:

On Thursday, the City Planning Commission will be asked to give its final approval to both the environmental impact report for the project and the development itself, with a final hearing before the Board of Supervisors looming.

After five years of studies and negotiations, proponents still confront questions about two basic issues: transportation and seismic safety.

-- As a low-lying artificial island set between two major faults, geologists say that in its present state, Treasure Island's sandy soil could liquefy in a major earthquake and be threatened by rising sea levels.

-- Despite a plan that subsidizes ferry service and commuter buses, studies project that more than half of island residents will travel to and from work by automobile - a major strain on the Bay Bridge, which already is at capacity during commute hours.
A fresh question involves financing: the project was conceived as a redevelopment area, but Gov. Jerry Brown's move to scuttle the statewide system pushed developers and city officials this month to come up with a districtwide fee to pay for infrastructure improvements. This is a more costly approach, so the plan now includes 400 fewer units of affordable housing than were agreed to in 2006, a change sure to be debated in hearings ahead.

Other details have changed since the concept was introduced in 2005. The maximum number of housing units in the plan increased by 30 percent, even as several tower heights were lowered for aesthetic - and political - reasons. The ferry terminal was shifted to the south, leaving one-third of the residents outside the oft-touted 10-minute walk to ferry service.

The current plan also trims some of the project's more aggressive environmental strategies. In the original plan, for instance, construction of a central utility plant was described as a "key component" to reduce the island's energy use. The current documents say only that development "may include" a central plant.

If the $1.5 billion project is approved, developers anticipate two years of site work before construction of the first townhouses facing Yerba Buena Island. The initial phase also would include a small grocery within a 1938 airplane hangar, one of three buildings that remain from the World's Fair. The project, which also includes roughly 200 housing units on Yerba Buena Island and a hilltop park, is expected to take at least 15 years to complete.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 10:53 PM

I am interested to see what happens tonight with this.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 3:38 PM

I posted this on the "City Compilations" thread, but I'll also stick it here. It's shows the updated images and plans for T.I. The most obvious change is that the central tower has been reduced to 450ft. The adjacent towers have also been reduced in height. Other than that, things aren't drastically different.

The document:http://www.sftreasureisland.org/Modu...documentid=644

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:23 PM
Get me out of here

Sounds like it got approved!!!

"In a 4-3 vote the Planning Commission voted to approve the plan for the proposed $1.5 billion neighborhood on Treasure Island.

Commissioners Bill Sugaya, Christina Olague and Kathrin Moore -- all appointed by the Board of Supervisors -- voted against the plan. The mayor's four appointees approved the plan.

At the same meeting, the Treasure Island Authority - a separate oversight board - unanimously approved the plan.

The development has been in the works since 1997 when the Navy closed the base. The plans include 8,000 residential units, a 450-foot high-rise, robust transit and a vibrant shopping area, developers say.

The three commissioners who opposed the plan said they worried it was poorly considered and would actually do more harm than good.

They made special note of the recent cut of 400 affordable housing units, the governance of the development and the environmental impacts of adding 19,000 new residents to the island.

But supporters noted that no project of this scale could be perfect and the current plan was the best to improve the aging 403-acre Navy base.

"Twenty-five percent (affordable housing) is still better than zero percent, and no project is zero percent," said Commissioner Gwyneth Borden.

The project will now head to the Board of Supervisors for final approval."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz1KGnaMfrT

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:41 PM

What are the chances of it getting through the supes? It passed with Planning Commission with the votes of the four Newson-appointed members. The three Board-appointed members voted against it.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 4:44 PM

Does anybody know how Chris Daly's successor is on these issues? I guess you can't be worse that Mr. Daly.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 6:25 PM

That is good news! Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 9:03 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
What are the chances of it getting through the supes? It passed with Planning Commission with the votes of the four Newson-appointed members. The three Board-appointed members voted against it.
I noticed that too. I wouldn't be surprised if this is hung up with the Board for awhile to come. I hate to be pessimistic, but lately I find myself being rather jaded about the chances of this, Hunter's Point or Candlestick ever getting built. They all seem too grandiose for me to see them happening. Maybe I've just been beaten down by the recession...

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 11:21 PM

Here's a "skyline" view of the updated plan.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 7:40 PM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
$1.5B Treasure Island plans clear another hurdle

Associated Press
Posted: 05/04/2011 10:10:24 AM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO -- Plans to turn a man-made island in San Francisco Bay into the city's newest neighborhood have cleared another hurdle.

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors' Land Use and Economic Development committee voted on Monday to approve the $1.5 billion plan, which would add 8,000 housing units to the 400-acre former Naval base.

The plan also includes 140,000 square feet of retail space and 300 acres of public open space on the island, created in the 1930s for the Golden Gate International Exposition. Currently, only about 2,000 people live there.

Supporters say the plan provides badly needed expansion for San Francisco. Opponents say expansion would create too much traffic on the already congested San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

The full board is scheduled to vote on the plan on May 17.
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-...939?source=rss

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 11:24 PM

If Treasure Island is really redeveloped like they plan. They will NEED to build either another bridge/tunnel connecting it with the peninsula or some type of mass transit system that stops on the Island. Considering the major shipping channel that runs underneath the western span of the Bay Bridge to the Port of Oakland and the extreme clearance needed for those ships, it seems like a tunnel would be the best option but would also be really expensive. I would love to see a purely Muni Metro tunnel, but considering that they just barely secured funding for the North Beach line, it seems unlikely that that will happen in the near future. Either way, the Bay Bridge is already a nightmare when it comes to traffic, and adding 15,000 additional residents plus businesses would completely cripple the Bay Bridge and traffic would grind to a snail pace all day.

Here's hoping they build a light rail tunnel and extend the bicycle path bridge across the western span of the bridge.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 12:06 AM
TL;DR

I think a frequent ferry service should be enough if it runs every 8 minutes during peak periods and every 15 minutes after that (every 30 minutes late-night).

If there is demand for a second Transbay tunnel, then we can talk about rail transit to Treasure Island.

In the long term, I could also see a reallocation of lane space on the Bay Bridge, turning the lower deck into two tracks/three eastbound lanes, with the upper deck becoming three westbound lanes and two reversibles.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 12:24 AM

They're only allowing the equivalent of about 9,000 cars to be located on the island (8,000 parking spots in housing, plus ~1000 in street/commercial/etc parking). That's a negligible amount for the bridge to handle, considering that most won't be used at the same time. There will already be an added toll to leave the island (it's free now), and that can always be adjusted upward if traffic becomes a problem.

My worry is that the plan has far, far, far too few residences to make the island self-sufficient for many things, and also too few to make the rapid ferry services a decent investment. The whole plan is just far too small, IMO, and I fear that even the relatively small transit investments being made will become money pits for Muni or whatever operator gets saddled with them (Golden Gate Transit for the ferries?).

It would need to be 40-50,000+ units before we could even begin to talk about some type of bridge or tunnel, and even then that probably wouldn't be enough to make spending money on a tunnel smarter than spending it on Geary or a second Transbay tube south of the current one to go under Alameda and into Oakland from that direction.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 11:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
It would need to be 40-50,000+ units before we could even begin to talk about some type of bridge or tunnel, and even then that probably wouldn't be enough to make spending money on a tunnel smarter than spending it on Geary or a second Transbay tube south of the current one to go under Alameda and into Oakland from that direction.
You might be able to swing the cost of an aerial tramway. Building piers for the pylons in the Bay would be expensive, but far less than a bridge or tunnel. If designed properly, it can haul a decent load of passengers to SF or Oakland. I'm not sure about maintenance expense, but this would certainly require less manpower than a fleet of ferries.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development