HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 5:39 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's last trip before the COVID shutdown - Shizuoka, Japan

This short getaway to Japan was designed to explore the smaller towns and not the big city. It was a last minute trip after my original trip to Taiwan had to be cancelled due to immigration restrictions. Japan had a lot of cases on the Diamond Princess at the time but not much on local community transmission was recorded, so I had comfort it was safe to visit.

Located mid-way between Tokyo and Nagoya, Shizuoka is a reprieve from the megacity and is a good base to explore Mount Fuji. While you may need to pay an arm and a leg for a Fuji-view hotel in Tokyo, the same can be had here at a fraction of the price, and even at a budget hotel.

I stayed in the secondary centre in Shimizu, which is also the city's port. I arrived at the Kashi-no-Ichi Market a bit too late to see the action, although restaurants in the adjacent building were still open. Tuna is the specialty here. With the bay right next to you and your table looking at it, expect very reasonable prices for fresh fare.

Prices are very reasonable.

Nihondaira is a must-visit destination not only for its Mount Fuji views but also an otherwise difficult-to-reach shrine behind it. A city bus makes the long climb uphill from either Shizuoka or Higashi-Shizuoka station.

A cable car away, the shrine celebrates Lord Tokugawa Ieyasu, who died in 1616 and wanted to be buried here. His successor fulfilled his wish by building a shrine with the finest craftsmen of the time.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/shizuoka.htm

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

This is a fine composition of a textbook example of the country's heritage!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:24 AM
Hong Kong

Shizuoka is a fairly linear city and is divided into 2 main areas. The area around the main train station is in the western side of the city.

The Shizuoka Prefectural Government Office has a free observation deck on the Annex Building's 21st floor. A bit lost as I wandered around the huge complex, a kind staff took me up to this empty lounge with extraordinary views.

The highlight is Mount Fuji to the northeast.

Across from the empty observation deck is Sumpu Castle, which was built in 1585 although not much remains today.

For a taste of old world charm, head to the Aboa Oden Street, a small alley with lit lanterns lining the small mom-and-pop bars that serve the famous local specialty. Oden is a style of cooking by soaking the skewered food in hot broth and serving with mustard. Locals enjoy the bar and more intimate atmosphere with a drink.

More photos on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/shizuoka.htm

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 3:29 PM
Illustrator, editor

Beautiful pictures, a city we rarely see here. When I was in Tokyo three years ago I never saw Fuji despite we went up high buildings and the weather was sunny, probably because slighlty haze in the distance.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:26 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Beautiful pictures, a city we rarely see here. When I was in Tokyo three years ago I never saw Fuji despite we went up high buildings and the weather was sunny, probably because slighlty haze in the distance.
Shizuoka is indeed a more off-the-beaten track base to explore the Fuji region, which was why I created this thread so travelers can consider this as another option in their Tokyo area adventure. Hotel prices are fairly rock bottom here and you won't get the big city feel.

I was able to spot Fuji from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government's free observation deck in Shinjuku but it was a lot smaller than from Shizuoka.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:11 AM

Nice pictures so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
For some reason, the area immediately around the parking lot in the lower center reminds me of Iceland. It makes me think of some of the suburban areas and small towns, where all the building are huddled together in a windswept landscape. It also reminds me of the car rental area near Keflavik Airport. I'm sure it's just me, but it was just a sense of something so ordinary like a shopping plaza still being so foreign.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 9:14 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
For some reason, the area immediately around the parking lot in the lower center reminds me of Iceland. It makes me think of some of the suburban areas and small towns, where all the building are huddled together in a windswept landscape. It also reminds me of the car rental area near Keflavik Airport. I'm sure it's just me, but it was just a sense of something so ordinary like a shopping plaza still being so foreign.
Shizuoka does have that suburban feel and I was living in 1 of the 2 city centres already, just a short walk from a major train station and the fishing port. I also hopped around a few nearby towns and those centres (around the train station) looked quite dead at 7pm.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:35 PM

When was this trip, by the way? I know people who were taking trips in mid-March, right as schools and places were closing, but travel was not getting restricted yet.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:24 AM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
When was this trip, by the way? I know people who were taking trips in mid-March, right as schools and places were closing, but travel was not getting restricted yet.
I visited in February 2020, just before Japan's community outbreak started. I had face masks with me but didn't wear for most of the trip. The Japanese do wear them for dust/pollen reasons but the virus wasn't bad enough to prompt widespread use at the time.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

ok i opened the maps -- i see where this is, just south of tokyo.

now this town looks like my speed -- very nice to see it.

we were actually looking at visiting the peninsula next to it with izu, shimoda, etc. sometime as i guess it has a lot of onsens and also you can visit the islands.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos