HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 7:52 PM

There are two cranes up at East 11th and I35.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
There are two cranes up at East 11th and I35.
Yes, I was surprised to see those that last night when coming home (out of town all weekend). I knew they were building new apartments over there, didn't realize it was going to be a 2 crane operation.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Yes, I was surprised to see those that last night when coming home (out of town all weekend). I knew they were building new apartments over there, didn't realize it was going to be a 2 crane operation.
I like it. That will significantly help build the East 11th corridor

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 10:16 PM

Now if they could just do something about 12th Street. I bought my house on East 12th back in 2004 at the time there was a plan to clean up East 11th and 12th Streets. Eight years later 11th has come a long way, 12th not so much.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Now if they could just do something about 12th Street. I bought my house on East 12th back in 2004 at the time there was a plan to clean up East 11th and 12th Streets. Eight years later 11th has come a long way, 12th not so much.
AGREED. What's the status with the big residential project over there?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 11:46 PM

It must be the Eleven apartments.

Website: http://www.forestargroup.com/real-es...roperty/id=592

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:58 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all
Quote:
Whole Foods among several cos. seeking big space
Austin Business Journal by Jan Buchholz, Staff Writer
Date: Friday, October 5, 2012, 8:34am CDT - Last Modified: Friday, October 5, 2012, 10:30am CDT

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal

Some huge office and industrial lease deals are in the works in Austin including Whole Foods Market Inc. shopping for 300,000 square feet and Pharmaceutical Product Development LLC looking for 225,000 square feet.

HID Global Corp., which recently received $745,000 in incentives from Travis County, is seeking 200,000 square feet in the northwest submarket.

WhaleShark Media Inc. is looking for 100,000 square feet downtown

Alcatel-Lucent, meanwhile, wants 70,000 square feet in the northwest area. The Finance Commission of Texas needs 50,000 square feet in Central Austin and Bigcommerce Ltd. is seeking 45,000 square feet, also in the northwest area.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:18 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
So does that mean that the Whole Foods tower behind the current headquarters fell through?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 8:35 PM

I have been wondering if the City of Austin requires a certain percentage of every new apartment development to be efficiencies or one bedroom units. Some cities do this to keep low income (affordable for the neighborhood) apartments available. It seems to me that Austin is becoming unaffordable for most renters. What is Austin doing besides charging a fee for affordable units then building them all in one development? I should know this after 20 years here but I do not. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:12 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
So does that mean that the Whole Foods tower behind the current headquarters fell through?
No. Still in discussions with Schlosser (the developer of the "tower"). Zoning and original site plan have already been approved by the city.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all

Whole Foods among several cos. seeking big space
Austin Business Journal by Jan Buchholz, Staff Writer
Date: Friday, October 5, 2012, 8:34am CDT - Last Modified: Friday, October 5, 2012, 10:30am CDT

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal
There are a several errors in that Jones Lang LaSalle report she quotes in her story:
  1. Whole Foods signed a short-term lease at Las Cimas Office Park on Loop 360 - they say they are "looking" for 300K sf but they have already tenantively agreed to take Schlosser's building behind their headquarters once it gets built. The only thing that will change that will be a delay in construction.

2. PPD has been looking for a large flex or industrial space to consolidate all of their locations for almost 2 years. Eventually they will end up signing a lease somewhere, but their search is moving as slow as molasses.

3. HID is building a large industrial building in TechRidge so they are only looking for temporary industrial space to occupy until their building gets built.

4. WhaleShark was thisclose to signing a long term lease at Seaholm, but the developers couldn't guarantee a delivery date for the redevelopment and WhaleShark won't sign a lease if they don't know when they can move in, so they are talking to their current landlord about expanding their existing office space onto two more floors in the building. WhaleShark may still end up going to Seaholm if they can't work out their office expansion, but they are VERY unhappy with the Seaholm developers right now.

5. Alcatel-Lucent just signed a lease renewal for 75,000 square feet for their current office space at 12515-5 Research Park, so they are not in the market looking for office space.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:27 PM

Skyhouse

I'm a bit surprised to see that Skyhouse is taking up that whole space from the Legacy parking garage to River St. They too are putting the garage separate and abutting Legacy at 7 floors. At lease that will leave some Milago tenants with a view rather than totally blocked by another tower. There are no heights in the site plan but at 7 floors that seems equal or slightly less than the Legacy garage.

I don't see that the pool will be on ground so that's nice it will be in the air maybe on top if they have one?

But I feel for the one single house at the corner of Rainy and River St that did not sell, they will be hearing lots of noise for a couple years while this is under construction.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 1:27 PM
Meh

^I haven't been able to find the building elevations yet for SkyHouse. Have you found them yet? I asked for the heights and got them by email, but I would still like to see the building elevations themselves.

And ditto on the construction noise. Over the last month they've been tearing down and starting construction on a new psychiatric hospital on property that is immediately behind our neighborhood. Our backyard faces it. They've been banging around back there tearing down the buildings and pushing dirt around. A few nights ago they were at it all night long with some bright lights lighting up the site. It's planned as a 200 bed hospital in a 2-story building. I've even seen the site plans for it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Progress of the new student housing on Rio Grande and 22 1/2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Which project is that? Is it even listed in the Under Contruction section of this thread?
Is this the one y'all keep referring to as that "unnamed project"? Someone earlier mentioned they thought it was the Quarters at Bandera House and I think they were right.

I googled it

(Click on the second link for an excel file on the city's website)

The address for the project is 2215 Rio Grande.

Quote:
The project is an eight story concrete building, 156 Units, two elevators. The project had a construction duration of 19 months(570)calendar days. Starting in Januay 2012 with the completion/Occupancy August 15, 2013. The impacts will be the Utility duct bank that is to be installed by Austin Energy subcontractor. The utility poles & the high voltage wires need to be out of the way of the drilling rig for our 9 piers along the west side of the alley, also the 6 piers for the elevator pits. The project address is 2215 Rio Grande Street. West 23rd Street borders the project to the North and runs approx. 198Ft. to the south, from the corner of Rio Grande & W. 23rd to the alley east is approx. 115Ft.
Video Link

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Oct 12, 2012 at 6:38 AM. Reason: added video

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 7:03 PM
Meh

Read the article, this sounds like corruption to me. The building's occupants include not just individuals or couples, but also special interest groups and lobbying firms. And now they could stand to get a tax break.

While the building is historic in the sense that it was Austin's first building over 200 feet tall (not counting the Capitol and UT Tower), it's architectural merits and historical ones mostly end there.

Besides, the threat of the building ever being torn down will never be there. With the building gone, it would create the possibility of a new capitol view corridor (CVC) to protect the views of the Capitol dome, a state and local law that was put in place after the building was built in 1966. Nothing could be built in its place that would reach the same height or square feet as the Westgate Tower without likely causing opposition or the specter of a rush to create a new CVC over that lot. Also the only thing that would require/cause the building's removal would be declining living conditions or structural failure leading to it being condemned.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...landmar/nScGH/
Quote:
Updated: 6:04 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012 | Posted: 9:44 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012
Westgate Tower may become Austin’s youngest landmark building, with the most tax breaks

By Brenda Bell
American-Statesman Staff

When he was in the Legislature, Babe Schwartz of Galveston fought long and hard against plans to build the Westgate Tower at West 12th and Colorado streets because the 26-story building — Austin’s first high-rise — would block views of the state Capitol from the west.

But in 1966 the Westgate got built anyway. Fifteen years later, after losing his race for re-election to the Texas Senate, Schwartz and his wife moved there themselves.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:22 PM

A few photo updates from in and around downtown.

Gables at Park Plaza

I don't think this will block the view of the Monarch at least from most of the pedestrian bridge since the tower is only on the Western edge. The Eastern part is about as tall as it's gonna get.

RiverView Apartments

The scaffolding is down on the Northern buildings.

SkyHouse

Site prep continues.

Whitley

Topped out and work on the facade continues. I'm interested in how they cover the lower parking garage levels. In the renders it looked like limestone, it could be a nice contrast to the dark brick. I still have hope this could be a nice looking building.

Hyatt Place

Finishing touches put on the facade, still ugly.

Parking garage screens are up and the outside elevator is coming down.

I still hate the West side.

Although from the East it blends in nicely with it's neighbors.

JW Marriott

The hole is getting deeper.

East 2nd Street is open again.

Eleven Apartments

These will have some great views as long as you don't mind living on the access road of I35.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, that blank face on the Hyatt tower is god awful terrible. What were they thinking? Isnt that old warehouse a protected building and therefor that blank side will always be showing? Why didnt they put windows on it? Im all for density but it looks like a terd.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 1:09 AM
Meh

Great update. Thanks! It's good the view of The Monarch will still be there. That'll mean the views from it will be safe, too. And RiverView is looking nice.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wow, that blank face on the Hyatt tower is god awful terrible. What were they thinking? Isnt that old warehouse a protected building and therefor that blank side will always be showing? Why didnt they put windows on it? Im all for density but it looks like a terd.
I know, it's not turning out the way I hoped it would.

Last edited by JoninATX; Oct 16, 2012 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 2:54 AM

It does look a little better than when it was beige on the top and bottom.

I almost think it could be salvaged if they painted fake windows on that wall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations