HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Another unknown project going up on Rio Grande & W. 22nd 1/2 st.

Anyone have any clue as to what's this gonna be? My guess is either more retail/student housing

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Like me! hahaha
I would rather they refer to me as a "Bohemian Urban Male"

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I would rather they refer to me as a "Bohemian Urban Male"
It sounds very attractive.
Nah, in all seriousness: I get what they're trying to convey. Like Migol said, they probably meant hipster....I think seaholm will be a great destination for younger, urban-minded Austinites. I can only imagine how great it'll all be once the library and surrounding projects are complete.

Seaholm has always been my favorite project.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 9:42 PM

Quote:
It sounds very attractive.
Nah, in all seriousness: I get what they're trying to convey. Like Migol said, they probably meant hipster....I think seaholm will be a great destination for younger, urban-minded Austinites. I can only imagine how great it'll all be once the library and surrounding projects are complete.

Seaholm has always been my favorite project.
places like urban outfitters, violet crown cinema, the coffee shops (jo's, austin java, medici) and all already makes this a sort of an attraction to the "counter culture" vibe, so I'm sure spreading it all throughout Seaholm won't be a difficult task. i think it's gonna be very cool. and you, my dear ahealy, are a perfect fit for this neighborhood!

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:01 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Re: Mexic-Arte: COOL ! Yes please. We need more pieces that are modern and sculptural to break up all the boxes we have. Texture is a very good thing. Contrast is good! I like that the shape has an interesting cultural root yet finds a modern way to express it. I would prefer they find more private money to help build it. But that is another debate. We need better museums in town. This would be a great add to Congress and bringing more art to Congress.
It is cool and I do like it. But if it came down to this or the new planetarium (which is also seeking funds), I'd so rather have the planetarium. Art is nice, but I'd rather further the understanding of science and technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ
I like it, and think it would be interesting with that being right alongside Frost. But are they allowed to take down the building that is there?
A number of years ago the museum had another plan that would have put a 6 or 7 story building there. I believe Cousins Properties (developer of Frost) was prepared to help fund it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:38 AM

Quarters Grayson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadham View Post
Anyone have any clue as to what's this gonna be? My guess is either more retail/student housing
The last time I heard anything about this site it was controlled by Simmons Vedder and was slated to become an 8-story apartment complex called Quarters Grayson (I think). The construction appears to be of the same type as the other Quarters projects and it is directly across the street from their 1,200 spacing parking facility. I couldn't find any information to confirm that this is in fact a new Quarters, but I would be shocked if it wasn't.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
"sophisticated Urban Bohemians" LOL!
"sophisticated urban bohemians” is a market segmentation term coined by a marketing group of some kind. It's a standard exercise they go through. Maybe that's why it seems cliched - it's commonly used.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAustinGuy View Post
The last time I heard anything about this site it was controlled by Simmons Vedder and was slated to become an 8-story apartment complex called Quarters Grayson (I think). The construction appears to be of the same type as the other Quarters projects and it is directly across the street from their 1,200 spacing parking facility. I couldn't find any information to confirm that this is in fact a new Quarters, but I would be shocked if it wasn't.
This may help. Is it at the same spot? http://www.quartersoncampus.com/Aust...apartments.asp

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It is cool and I do like it. But if it came down to this or the new planetarium (which is also seeking funds), I'd so rather have the planetarium. Art is nice, but I'd rather further the understanding of science and technology.
Same here!

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:19 AM

Quote:
More than Trader Joe’s in store: Seaholm development targets ‘urban bohemians’
http://austin.culturemap.com/newsdet...ban-bohemians/
I know I am biased, but I really wished the rumored Trader Joe's was heading to the east side of Downtown. Specifically, as the momentum continues to grow on Rainey Street, I think a grocery store in this area would be perfect to serve both this high density street and much of East Austin.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadham View Post

Most likely more student housing, that area is poison will growth.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 3:02 AM
~Hook'em~

Statesman considering land offers
By American-Statesman Staff
Tuesday, May 1, 2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
The American-Statesman has received several offers for the land that the newspaper occupies on Lady Bird Lake south of downtown, the newspaper’s owner, Cox Media Group, said in a statement Tuesday.

“As with all offers, consideration is given, but no decision has been made at this time,” said the statement from the company’s corporate offices in Atlanta. “Cox Media Group remains committed to the Statesman, the Austin community and our employees and has no plans to sell the newspaper.”

Read More: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...e=rss_business

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
places like urban outfitters, violet crown cinema, the coffee shops (jo's, austin java, medici) and all already makes this a sort of an attraction to the "counter culture" vibe, so I'm sure spreading it all throughout Seaholm won't be a difficult task. i think it's gonna be very cool. and you, my dear ahealy, are a perfect fit for this neighborhood!
...It's just a shame you aren't able to join me in the hood anymore! Thanks I'm gonna have to visit SF soon to catch the new Alamo Mission. I told Henri Mazza he had my full support in the elevator the other day.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 6:58 AM

Quote:
...It's just a shame you aren't able to join me in the hood anymore! Thanks I'm gonna have to visit SF soon to catch the new Alamo Mission. I told Henri Mazza he had my full support in the elevator the other day.
does he have any input on the Mission Drafthouse? the only thing I know is that the Mission location will not be owned by the franchise corporation. apparently, the ritz, village and lamar locations are all still owned by tim league and his wife but the rest of the locations are all part of the franchise, which tim league is CEO. now, the mission location will also be owned by tim league and his wife so the word is that it will most likely be more reminiscent to the ritz location and it will not be run like a franchise, such as the one's in san antonio, houston and virginia locations are run. and given that it is on Mission St, the two will probably be almost identical. but i wonder if mazza has any input on the ritz, lamar and village locations. if he does, he most likely will also have input on the mission location.

anyways... when and if they do i'm gonna apply there again for like the 3rd or 4th time! haha

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
does he have any input on the Mission Drafthouse? the only thing I know is that the Mission location will not be owned by the franchise corporation. apparently, the ritz, village and lamar locations are all still owned by tim league and his wife but the rest of the locations are all part of the franchise, which tim league is CEO. now, the mission location will also be owned by tim league and his wife so the word is that it will most likely be more reminiscent to the ritz location and it will not be run like a franchise, such as the one's in san antonio, houston and virginia locations are run. and given that it is on Mission St, the two will probably be almost identical. but i wonder if mazza has any input on the ritz, lamar and village locations. if he does, he most likely will also have input on the mission location.

anyways... when and if they do i'm gonna apply there again for like the 3rd or 4th time! haha
Yes, yes & yes. Mazza runs the ritz. He's the creative director of the Alamo brand I believe. Y'all are in for a treat!

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:30 AM

The remodel of Echelon building from ynn, just in case nobody has driven out there to see it.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_st...n-for-business

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Can someone help me? I believe (I think it was Jon?) posted some awesome update pictures of the Riverview apartments but I can't seem to remember where the post was, and can't find them. I would really love to put them in the Riverview spoiler.

I was using my phone when I first saw the post and told myself I would update the spoiler when I got home but of course forgot and now can't seem to find them. =(

Edit: NVM. I found the picture in this thread! lol.
Cool, next week I'll be in that area again so I will be taking alot more pictures. :-)

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, yes & yes. Mazza runs the ritz. He's the creative director of the Alamo brand I believe. Y'all are in for a treat!
oh nice! will be awesome to see how alamo mission will turn out. or as they say here in the bay... it will be "hella" awesome. (i hate that word).

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:47 AM

Cool Austin Planetarium

Quote:

A number of years ago the museum had another plan that would have put a 6 or 7 story building there. I believe Cousins Properties (developer of Frost) was prepared to help fund it.
Definitely the Planetarium...

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:02 AM

Quote:
I would love to see both of them to get built too. One of Austin's major flaws is the lack of a really great art museum (in a city that prides itself on creativity!) But I prefer science to art and would definitely love to see the planetarium get done. If public money gets even tighter I would prefer that all available monies go to I-35 improvements.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations