HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 10:34 PM

New Austin Planetarium

omggggg

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 12:09 AM

I know... .

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

omggggg
This NEEDS to happen!!!!!! I'll sell my body on the streets to raise $$$$

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Here is the plan: http://issuu.com/jgoodman/docs/iacp_..._2012-4-20-web

And a little video on what it is

Video Link
Is that song the official generic background song for infrastructure and urban planning videos? Check out this Denver FasTracks video that uses the same song...don't get to discouraged looking at the plan and thinking "man, wish we could do something like this."

Video Link

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 3:20 AM

That is one nice looking tower! And it will have a planetarium! I hope all of the big proposals get moving quickly.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 3:47 AM
~Hook'em~

OMG! Awesome!

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 3:51 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Quote:

omggggg
This NEEDS to happen!!!!!! I'll sell my body on the streets to raise $$$$
PM incomeing! Only because my money would be going to such an awesome cause of course!

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 3:54 AM
Everywhere all at once

OMG with the Planetarium/tower, I might die..

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 4:02 AM
~Hook'em~

Op updated. Just need Kevin to make a thread for it now. =)

How exciting! And I love the building. It looks great. Hope they build it just as they show it.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 4:34 AM
~Hook'em~

I just thought of something else. That site is a good 100 feet higher than the lakefront. So it will even stand out more.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 7:50 AM

Quote:
I just thought of something else. That site is a good 100 feet higher than the lakefront. So it will even stand out more.
It's so amazing... #skyscraperboner
Out of everything proposed for the Nov bond (besides rail), this is one that SHOULD be built. I'm tired of integral projects that are announced, and never see the light of day.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 7:57 AM

Quote:
I'm tired of integral projects that are announced, and never see the light of day.
same here... so for all the projects that are being announced, its very nice and all, but i'd like to see some cranes more than anything.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
same here... so for all the projects that are being announced, its very nice and all, but i'd like to see some cranes more than anything.
you will. Seaholm and JW will start very soon. Let's all just donate a lot of money to the planetarium....any billionaire lurkers?

http://www.austinplanetarium.org/ind...mid=77&lang=en

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:01 PM

OMG, Austin will actually have a tourist attraction. Imagine that! We have festivals and the race track, but his will be there 365 days a year.

Is there actually some doubt that this will be built? It doesn't depend on bond money, right? I thought a non-profit was funding it.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
OMG, Austin will actually have a tourist attraction. Imagine that! We have festivals and the race track, but his will be there 365 days a year.

Is there actually some doubt that this will be built? It doesn't depend on bond money, right? I thought a non-profit was funding it.
It does depend on bond money. The developers want people to go to their website and sign a petition to get it on the November ballot.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 2:36 PM
~Hook'em~

So I contacted the people with the planetarium and got some wonderful news!

The proposed height is 655 feet. So that will put 33' taller than the roof of the Austonian and only 28' shorter than the Austonian spire, and 182' taller than the roof on the 360 and 74' taller than the top of the 360's spire. So it would be a new tallest for Austin! Which would make our 3 tallest residential. But since it is higher up in elevation I imagine that it will look even taller than the Austonian. Probably by like 50 feet or so.

Also, they might add more to the top. One idea they have is to add a restaurant with an observation deck to the top with elevators on the outside to reach it.

And if anyone wants to know more about it, every month they have a Southern Skies Social where they get together at House Wine in South Austin (408 Josephine Street at Barton Springs and S Lamar). It is the last Wednesday of every month (this Wed!!!) from 5 to 9pm and the bar donates 10% of its proceeds to the planetarium. They will be discussing all sorts of stuff from the building to the planetarium to space stuff too.

They asked me to ask all of y'all Skyscraper enthusiast to come and tell them what you like or don't like about it this Wednesday.

Also they have a fundraiser every second Tuesday at Opal Divine's on Mopac and Parmer if you can't make it on Wednesdays or if South Austin is scary to anyone.

Last edited by BevoLJ; May 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 2:53 PM

Quote:
So I contacted the people with the planetarium and got some wonderful news!

The proposed height is 655 feet. So that will put only 28' shorter than the Austonian, and 182' taller than the roof on the 360 and 74' taller than the top of the 360's spire. So it would be a new second tallest for Austin! Which would make our 3 tallest residential. But since it is higher up in elevation I imagine that it will look even taller than the Austonian. Probably by like 50 feet or so.

Also, they might add more to the top. One idea they have is to add a restaurant with an observation deck to the top with elevators on the outside to reach it.

And if anyone wants to know more about it, every month they have a Southern Skies Social where they get together at House Wine in South Austin (408 Josephine Street at Barton Springs and S Lamar). It is the last Wednesday of every month (this Wed!!!) from 5 to 9pm and the bar donates 10% of its proceeds to the planetarium. They will be discussing all sorts of stuff from the building to the planetarium to space stuff too.

They asked me to ask all of y'all Skyscraper enthusiast to come and tell them what you like or don't like about it this Wednesday.

Also they have a fundraiser every second Tuesday at Opal Divine's on Mopac and Parmer if you can't make it on Wednesdays or if South Austin is scary to anyone.
Great research!

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 3:08 PM
~Hook'em~

Oh, I just realized that the height for the Austonian I was using was the spire. So the new planetarium would actually be taller, and a new tallest in Austin. The roof would be 33 feet taller than the roof of the Austonian.

Also, I just checked the elevation of the two blocks and the Planetarium's block is 54' higher than the Austonian's. So that would put the roof of the Planetarium at 87' higher than the Austonian's roof and 21' feet higher than the Austonian's spire.

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, I just realized that the height for the Austonian I was using was the spire. So the new planetarium would actually be taller, and a new tallest in Austin. The roof would be 33 feet taller than the roof of the Austonian.

Also, I just checked the elevation of the two blocks and the Planetarium's block is 54' higher than the Austonian's. So that would put the roof of the Planetarium at 87' higher than the Austonian's roof and 21' feet higher than the Austonian's spire.
The Austonian doesn't have a spire and is 683'

Old Posted May 27, 2012, 4:11 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I was about to say the same thing. The Austonian will stay the tallest unless they add more to the tower. Though this tower will look taller due to the ground being higher.

Once it starts construction they said it would only take a year to build. Wow talk about super fast for a tower that size. Also correct me if im wrong but since this is state owned and controlled land, the city of Austin will have little to no say in zoning or height. I can just see a bunch of NIMBYS raising hell over this since its fairly close to the capital.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations