HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:17 AM
Meh

Nice pictures. Rainey Street is really coming along.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Here are some photos of Skyhouse I took this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Here are few shots of the completed Hyatt Place hotel, and its surroundings

Behind the JW Marriott

Atop the convention center garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
That Hyatt Place is so freaking ugly. I'm ready for some good looking buildings (311, seaholm, 7rio, JW). I still wish some of the pre-recession projects survived. Imagine.....

IMO all of these buildings (Windsor on the Lake, The Shore, Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn & Suites) share the same "UGLY" truth. They are all clad in cheap stucco. Add the Hilton Hotel and several others to the list too. Stucco should be banned on any high rise structures. The weather stains stucco quickly and stucco simply looks cheap to begin with. Just my opinion.

Last edited by AusTex; Apr 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM. Reason: corrected grammar

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex View Post
IMO all of these buildings (Windsor on the Lake, The Shore, Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn & Suites) share the same "UGLY" truth. They are all clad in cheap stucco. Add the Hilton Hotel and several others to the list too. Stucco should be banned on any high rise structures. The weather stains stucco quickly and stucco simply looks cheap to begin with. Just my opinion.
you are not alone in that assessment!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 11:59 PM

can we at least make an exception for the shore? i really like that building.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 12:57 AM
~Hook'em~

I too like the Shore

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I too like the Shore
My building (360) has stucco

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin242 View Post
I honestly would rather wait 10 years and get retail up in that bitch. I don't think offices should be built in seaholm it pisses me off. It should be something cool. I would honestly rather the city have put money into that and made a farmers market themselves than have had a new central library.
I think most people would feel this way if asked- having Seaholm as office space essentially turns into a "PRIVATE" building vs. the PUBLIC facility that it SHOULD be. I mean it's such a landmark- WTF...offices?!?!?

I remember hearing at one point in years past that it could be a mass transit hub. That would have been PERFECT. Seaholm looks like the ultimate "Union Station" for dt Aus.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 6:45 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

A Union Station would have been pretty sweet.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 6:54 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Those types of facilities are usually custom built, not retrofitted.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
can we at least make an exception for the shore? i really like that building.
Yes...OK...The Shore does have that Miami...deco...vibe. Most of the facade has other "stuff" going on; balconies, etc....

Now the City of Austin…(to be owned in the future by the city)…Hilton is an eyesore. Yes the city will take possession of the Hilton in less than 50 years! Why-O-Why did the city allow the Hilton to be clad in stucco…!...?...! AND why is it allowed above 5 stories now, is a mystery to me. Austin is better than stucco.

Most cities will not allow stucco on high rises! The NEW World Trade Center One, in New York (Freedom Tower) sure would be improved if it had stucco!!!!!

NO MORE STUCCO in DOWNTOWN AUSTIN!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:07 PM

I agree austex, there should be a city wide ban for stucco on highrises.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:09 PM

13-story office project breaks ground in downtown Austin

Quote:
By Shonda Novak American-Statesman Staff
April, 24, 2013

In the first new office tower to break ground in downtown Austin in more than a decade, construction started Wednesday on the 13-story IBC Bank Plaza, the bank’s president told the American-Statesman exclusively.

The tower at 500 West Fifth St. will house the local headquarters for IBC Bank - Austin and other tenants. It is scheduled to open in spring 2014, bringing about 195,000 square feet of new space to the downtown market, where occupancies and rents have been on the rise amid healthy ongoing demand.

“It’s been a long drought for the central business district, and hopefully this will initiate further development in downtown, said Bob Barnes, president and CEO of IBC Bank-Austin. IBC will be the owner and lead tenant in the building, occupying about 27,000 square feet.

IBC Austin currently occupies about 15,000 square feet in the 816 Congress tower, and will make the move to its new headquarters in late 2014, Barnes said.

“With the rapid growth of the downtown area, we believe IBC Bank Plaza will be an important addition to the city, providing office and retail space in one of the most coveted areas of town,” Barnes said.

Austin-based Endeavor Real Estate Group is developing the project. It will include retail space, a parking garage and balconies overlooking Republic Park, with Capitol views from upper floors.
http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...wntown-/nXW8d/

Another lot bites the dust!!!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 1:47 AM

Wooo!! That's gonna help that area so much. Especially the retail.

Someone needs to make a map or a list or something. There's a lot going on at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

Wooo!! That's gonna help that area so much. Especially the retail.

Someone needs to make a map or a list or something. There's a lot going on at the moment.
IBC building will not have retail as far as I know....it may end up having some shitty chain steak house at the base...but that's it. Not the first thing I wanna see in my neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:57 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I wish it was a root beer store instead of a bank.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
IBC building will not have retail as far as I know....it may end up having some shitty chain steak house at the base...but that's it. Not the first thing I wanna see in my neighborhood.
Actually there will be retail on the ground floor, in addition to the bank space. Here's a link to Endeavor's website listing ( http://www.endeavor-re.com/property/...bc-bank-plaza/ ) and below is the stacking diagram. Of course I'm not disputing that it could include a shitty chain steak house.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
I'd say your guess is right. The "retail" space they will probably need to be something destination based since it really doesn't have much connection to other retail. I could see someone wanting to put a restaurant there overlooking the park. AND yep...probably ripe for a chain.... sigh....

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:56 PM

Y'all, keep in mind that these tenants aren't permanent, but the buildings are. I'm primarily concerned with changing Austin's urban fabric. The culture will evolve from there, and the retailers and restaurants will change over time.

Here are some unseen renderings of 3eleven that deerhoof found on the Endeavor Real Estate website:

Pretty damn awesome, if you ask me.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:11 PM
Meh

Quote:
Y'all, keep in mind that these tenants aren't permanent, but the buildings are. I'm primarily concerned with changing Austin's urban fabric. The culture will evolve from there, and the retailers and restaurants will change over time.

Here are some unseen renderings of 3eleven that deerhoof found on the Endeavor Real Estate website:

Man, West 5th is going to look different. Just imagine Shoal Creek Walk occupying that parking lot east of Whole Foods. And that doesn't even show Gables Park Plaza II either. That's going to be an interesting grouping of buildings. And then after Seaholm gets its apartment tower, plus whatever happens at Green plus the Austin energy site, that is going to be one serious area of downtown.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:

omfg #boner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations