HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:18 AM
Honored Member

I just hit upon a fix-it trick that probably none of you will ever need, but just in case ...

A few months ago I was given a camera bag containing a Pentax ME Super from about 1979 along with a f/2.8 28mm, f/1.2 50mm, f/4.5 80-200mm zoom, and 2X Telextender. No bumps, scratches, nicks, or blemishes on any of it, and when I put in a battery, the meter seems to give reasonable readings.

Today I thought I'd take it out for a walk, but when I started fooling with it before I loaded film, I discovered that the shutter wouldn't release. The film winder would come up to a stop, and when I pushed the button I'd hear it stop down, but the mirror didn't come up and the curtain didn't trip. I tried it several times thinking it would loosen up.

I tapped it, bumped it gently on the kitchen counter, shook it (gently). Nothing seemed to make it work. Then I remembered how vibration can loosen seemingly tight parts, and how ultrasonic parts cleaners can dislodge contamination and corrosion without damaging stuff. I took my Sonicare toothbrush and ran it over the camera for a couple of minutes, pressing the hard plastic back of the brush head firmly against the camera body.

I tried the shutter release again, and it worked about every second time. A couple more minutes with the toothbrush, and now it releases on every try. Tomorrow is supposed to be another unseasonably warm day, with some clouds and some sun. I have to go downtown to the city-county building to drop off my property tax payments, and I think I'll stick a roll of Velvia in that rascal and take it for a walk.

A pre-WWII Leica hs been languishing in my closet for a few years with some stuff stuck. I was waiting until I had some spare cash to take it to Chicago and see if it could be fixed, but I think I'll try the toothbrush treatment on it first.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:43 PM
Making hell of a noise...

Guys, I just got back my 400D - Finally!!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 12:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^^ that must be nice

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:21 PM

What filter helps doing black n white?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 2:49 AM
Watchin em grow

All depends but generally a red filter is the most used.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 3:11 AM

You don't need a filter with most Nikon cameras simply set your camera at b&W and pick the optional filter setting you desire (check your manual on how to do It)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 4:35 AM
So very tired...

Or shoot in colour and do the same with software. Not sure about photoshop but my software allows you to simulate green/orange/red/and yellow filters while destaturating. If not, you can seperate colour channels into seperate layers and desaturate just the red channel, and discard the rest.

Red/yellow filters are generally only needed for shooting film these days.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 6:21 AM

No software or in-camera algorithm can replicate the effect of an IR filter... that is a great one for black and white...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 7:29 AM
So very tired...

^ Speaking of which, my Nikon F80 35mm uses infrared light or something for its automatic film advance mechanism, which means I can't shoot infrared...piss me off...I really wanted to try it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 8:12 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Would a Sigma 70-200mm actually be 105-300mm on a DX? I've read some good reviews and I'd love to get it but I'm confused on the whole DX/FX conversion factor. I know how it works, but would it be the same with this lens?

And if so, does that mean the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 is actually 27-75mm on DX?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 8:39 AM
So very tired...

^ Essentially, yes.

For instance, I have the Nikkor 35mm DX prime which has (full-frame) effective focal length of 52mm, so shots I take with this lens would have pretty close to the same composition as a 35mm film or full-frame sensor shot with a 50mm lens.

This page has some boring math but explains why the difference exists:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 8:49 AM
So very tired...

Sorry, that was a bad example Aleks...

Let's say I had the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f1.4 Prime...this is a 50mm made for 35mm film, or full-frame sensors, so on a DX body (D90) it would act as a 75mm ... which is a short portrait lerns...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 6:23 PM

Nice to see some talk about REAL cameras / lenses on here.
At thanksgiving I surprised everyone by taking someone's Pentax dslr, popping off the cheesy zoom and putting my 50/1.4 on there - the lenses are fully backwards compatible. Of course with the older (and better) MF lenses you need to know how to use a camera.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Check out this baby and it's price tag

http://www.lozeau.com/product.aspx?n...8407&lang_id=E
Need a cheaper 37 megapixels?

This

+ this

+ this

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 9:08 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
So let's have some fun... how about you guys list how many views your flickr photostream has,how many photos have made it to Explore and how many views your most popular photo has
Views (all time)

Photos and Videos: 134,503
Photostream: 28,556
Sets: 12,608
Collections: 308
Total: 175,975

Explore - 1

Most popular - 1399

I haven't taken nearly as many photos as I used to.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 1:19 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

So basically, my 18-105 is actually 27-157 because it's on DX right?

Well if this is the case then I think I;d like to sell it. I LOVE the range, but I think a Tamron 17-50 VC would be better. I'd loose A LOT of zoom but I'd rather have the 2.8. A Sigma 70-200 2.8 would be pretty nice also although I've heard good reviews of the Nikon 70-300vr.

I'm still getting my Tokina 11-16, but as I learn more about lenses I'm beginning to fall in love with f/2.8. Never been faster than 3.5

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Views (all time)

Photos and Videos: 134,503
Photostream: 28,556
Sets: 12,608
Collections: 308
Total: 175,975

Explore - 1

Most popular - 1399

I haven't taken nearly as many photos as I used to.
you got to start posting more photos of kittens, puppies,babies,flowers...and your total will shoot right up,I know someone who has over 50 explore photos shooting nothing but cats and squirrels

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 2:05 AM

I've got to ask you guys really, how do you afford all this equipment? I still find my 55-200mm vr tele quite expensive! Are you guys all rich or something?

A program like Lightroom or Photoshop Cs4 is probably no big deal for you guys, but it's quite expensive for me.

How do you pay for a wide angle lens, when they're so damn expensive? How do you just run out to the store and buy software casually? Just amazes (**note...I know it's not the case for everybody on here, but I have noticed it with a few people**)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 2:31 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

lol, I used to find everything to be expensive but now I just realize that sometimes, there's no way to avoid spending money, especially if you want something really bad.

I'm not rich, I don't even have a job! But when I set my mind on something I go crazy! Such as my Tokina. I've been saving dimes and nickels, like, actually. I'm saving every penny I can get on my hands. I even ask people if they want their change cause last time I had a jar of change it ended up being 30 dollars! And that was smaller than what I have now!

But yeah, I also sell anything I don't want on craigslist. People will buy the stupidest things and I love them for doing so. I also cut back on spending on things like lunch, which is like 8 bucks a day. And driving so gas lasts longer. My latest money maker is selling shrooms, tomorrow I'm selling 60 bucks worths of!

So yeah, saving money is the only way I afford my things. Then selling used stuff. And if none of that works then selling drugs will work fine too! Lol, I probably shouldn't be saying this on this site but what the hell.

As for software, it's too complicated. You have to do MANY things which most people won't do (no prostitution or anything of the sort).

If I can get 700 bucks before the end of the year I'll order my Tokina 11-16 and get a Tamron 17-50 or a Sigma 18-50 (both 2.8).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 9:37 PM
Honored Member

If you have a good local independent camera shop, sometimes you can save a lot of money by buying used gear. I don't think the chains like to mess with used stuff and trade-ins, but the local independents have more flexibility in establishing their own business policies. Recently I picked up a nice Nikkor 28mm AF f/2.8 D for $100 used in nice condition. New list is about $265.

Also, B&H has used equipment, including accessories for old/obsolete gear.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography