HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Not to toot my own horn, but I called Primark to the Fashion District like over a year ago, lol. Maybe two years ago now.

Zara will be announced soon for FDP.

Also hear through the grapevine a Bloomingdale's, but not sure how legit that is and if there is even anymore space for a Bloomies.
We so need one. I can't see where the space for that would be at FDP. Not a full line, anyway. The Candytopia space is too small, right? (I'd love to see a second Apple store go there when it leaves). I still would love to see Bloomies at the Disney Hole and perhaps pull in some higher end stores around it on the Southern side of East Market.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:56 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
To truly make it a Fashion District, they should add the stores you mentioned. The more the merrier kind of thing.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:03 PM

AMC opens this Monday

I found this article by googling "AMC Fashion District 8 opening date" because I was curious about whether I could see something over Thanksgiving. It was posted this morning, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on Inquirer.com directly. Go figure. Either way, hugely exciting to have this crucial piece up and running in a few days.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/amc-fa...-20191030.html

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:09 PM

Seven Story Building Edging Closer at 40th & Market?

]

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...er-40th-market

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:10 PM

Fresh Renderings For Upcoming South Quarter Crossing Renovation

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ing-renovation

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Fresh Renderings For Upcoming South Quarter Crossing Renovation

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ing-renovation
What a disgraceful waste of land and money.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
What a disgraceful waste of land and money.
Have you ever been over there? It's an ugly and desolate shopping center that is nowhere near any subway or regional rail. This is a gigantic upgrade compared to what is there. I'm shocked to see apartments, not sure who would want to live over there but glad they are included.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:25 PM

PATCO Franklin Square renderings: http://ridepatco.org/projects/frankl...e-station.html

A few more at the link. Website says construction beginning Fall 2020. Probs belongs in the transportation thread but putting here for visibility...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Have you ever been over there? It's an ugly and desolate shopping center that is nowhere near any subway or regional rail. This is a gigantic upgrade compared to what is there. I'm shocked to see apartments, not sure who would want to live over there but glad they are included.
You are correct regarding the plan being a vast improvement upon the current development.

The residential component is located near the thoroughfare leading to the Girard Estate Park. That should provide some residential attraction. However, the remainder of the project is a parking lot Bermuda Triangle. I cannot imagine 50% of the units facing that, in addition to 25% more facing a multilevel car park and the balance viewing the roof of a strip mall. This really is not well-conceived.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Agreed. The neighboring Home Depot is my go to spot, so I'm down in this brutal stretch often. The people who built this stuff originally should be jailed. It's criminal how awful they destroyed the 'hood and streetscape.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Also hear through the grapevine a Bloomingdale's, but not sure how legit that is and if there is even anymore space for a Bloomies.
I wonder if it could be a part of a separate development across the street from FD? Doesn't PREIT own most of the 1000 block?

Also in other FD news - the new wine/dine AMC is opening November 4th.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/amc-fa...-20191030.html

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post
You are correct regarding the plan being a vast improvement upon the current development.

The residential component is located near the thoroughfare leading to the Girard Estate Park. That should provide some residential attraction. However, the remainder of the project is a parking lot Bermuda Triangle. I cannot imagine 50% of the units facing that, in addition to 25% more facing a multilevel car park and the balance viewing the roof of a strip mall. This really is not well-conceived.
Here's news for you. Some people don't mind looking at parking lots, especially if they can actually park there.

It's a 10,000% improvement over what's there already. Remember, there are a lot of people in that community (especially south of Oregon Avenue) who think Packer Park is a suburb and want to keep it that way. I think this strikes a nice balance in increasing density, while improving the urbanity and streetscape along Oregon Avenue. Remember, the same company developing these buildings still owns the entire parcel, including what remains parking.

If it is successful, I'm sure they will come back in future years and build even more residential buildings on the lot. It would be interesting to see one building go up as condos, as there is clearly a market in far South Philly for re-patriated Italians from Washington Township NJ, it's just that what they've been offered so far are suburban style townhomes. I bet you a well done condo building with high end finishes in a "development" like this would sell like hotcakes.

Anyway, I think this serves as a model for strip centers all over outlying neighborhoods in Philadelphia. I'd love to see the old Shopping Centers on Aramingo Avenue in Port Richmond go this route, as well as some of the strip centers on upper Ridge Avenue at the edges of Roxborough.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrytsyu View Post

There are strip malls all over the city. It's not unheard of by any stretch.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Here's news for you. Some people don't mind looking at parking lots, especially if they can actually park there.

It's a 10,000% improvement over what's there already. Remember, there are a lot of people in that community (especially south of Oregon Avenue) who think Packer Park is a suburb and want to keep it that way. I think this strikes a nice balance in increasing density, while improving the urbanity and streetscape along Oregon Avenue. Remember, the same company developing these buildings still owns the entire parcel, including what remains parking.

If it is successful, I'm sure they will come back in future years and build even more residential buildings on the lot. It would be interesting to see one building go up as condos, as there is clearly a market in far South Philly for re-patriated Italians from Washington Township NJ, it's just that what they've been offered so far are suburban style townhomes. I bet you a well done condo building with high end finishes in a "development" like this would sell like hotcakes.

Anyway, I think this serves as a model for strip centers all over outlying neighborhoods in Philadelphia. I'd love to see the old Shopping Centers on Aramingo Avenue in Port Richmond go this route, as well as some of the strip centers on upper Ridge Avenue at the edges of Roxborough.
Are you in any way connected to this development?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:48 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Dude. They are literally putting a loading dock at the corner of 23rd and Oregon, and making the Oregon Avenue streetwall nothing but blank walls. In what universe is that "improving the urbanity and streetscape" along Oregon Avenue?

This is an extremely poorly thought-out project that needs to go back to the drawing board IMO.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 3:12 AM
The Doctor Is In

On one hand this North side of Quartermaster is absolutely, hands down, the worst pedestrian experience in any parking lot in Philadelphia in its current form. Or at least bottom 3. You can not go from Girard Park to the Shoprite two blocks away without walking in roads and anything that would add a sidewalk if nothing else is a miracle. Having the Apartments (of which viability to me is still in question) near the park is a win imo and I assume the parking garage facilitates them.
Transitwise the apartments would be acceptably served by the 17, one of the best used and useful lines in the city.

The blueprints though still are massively heavy on the sporadic lots and I just don't see their long term vision in trying to connect the buildings in the pedestrian fashion so heavily emphasized in their renderings.

I don't expect Oregon/24th will ever be a pedestrian oasis - it's functionally a funnel to 76 but I would hope that once off Oregon you could attach it to the existing neighborhood which is absolutely intact.

Also - and this is admittedly completely pedantic - but whenever discussing this area generally you can tell who knows the area well as opposed to those who are talking out of their ass by those who call it Girard Estate vs Girard Estates, respectively. Since they pluralize it I automatically deduct a point.

Still, a huge improvement.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 9:56 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
After a bit more detectoring I realized the back end of the parking garage, along with Building I.2, both encroach on the Porter Street alignment. I am fine with I.2 being a temporary structure to protect the party wall which the demolition of the southern half of the existing strip will doubtless reveal, but I would also like some sort of commitment from the developers to reopen Porter through the site in future phases, which the parking garage encroachment actively prevents.

Also of note here, the south side of Building H actually faces the Shunk Street easement, which is clear all the way through the site. It's a bit of an awkwardly placed building, which no good place to put a backside at all!

That said, the loading dock placement on Building F remains an absolute deal-breaker for me: its NE corner directly fronts the loading way between Building G and the parking garage, so it's not like trucks won't be in that area to begin with. There is, and I repeat, there is no reason whatsoever why you should be placing the loading dock, with its attendant blank wall, along Oregon, especially if an end goal is to enliven one of the dreariest streetscapes in the entire city!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 10:30 PM
Philly Rising Up!

are b, g, f and i2 all going to be residential bldgs? If so, why not configure then in a box with open space in the center for the tenants to use as a park-like or courtyard setting? The parking garage is fine where it is.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 1:36 AM
The Doctor Is In

2424 and 2426 s 22nd street I believe are privately owned per OPA (by the neighboring property owner nonetheless), which exists in the Porter ROW. It would be fantastic to see a throughway though.

Quote:
iheartphilly are b, g, f and i2 all going to be residential bldgs?
I think just G

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:58 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development