HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 4:16 PM
Philly Pholly

delete

Last edited by SEFTA; Oct 9, 2019 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:10 PM
Philly Pholly

It's great to see some plans are being made for this extremely important corridor. It's lined with planning failures. It can't be discussed too much because decisions are happening now for it's future. The most important aspect of these new proposals is how they address Columbus Blvd/Delaware Ave.

Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/16046.pdf

I think they might consider this as another option. It's like a tram with out rails.

Autonomous Rail Rapid Transit, or ART
https://www.curbed.com/2017/11/6/166...a-art-rail-bus

Chinese Rail-Bus 2

Chinese Rail-Bus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXB87NWHvDg

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
It's great to see some plans are being made for this extremely important corridor. It's lined with planning failures. It can't be discussed too much because decisions are happening now for it's future. The most important aspect of these new proposals is how they address Columbus Blvd/Delaware Ave.

Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/16046.pdf

I think they might consider this as another option. It's like a tram with out rails.

Autonomous Rail Rapid Transit, or ART
You mean a bus?

I would much rather use the existing rail rather than tear out what's there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 9:21 PM

The railless tram makes sense on Del Ave. I’d be easier to roll that out than to restore the rail and make changes to the center median which has beautiful flowers now, in my opinion. It’s a decent compromise especially since there’s very little foot traffic on that street.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:56 AM
Philly Pholly

Saw this posted;
1111 S Broad Street

1111 S Broad Street

1111 S Broad Street 2

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:51 AM

[QUOTE=SEFTA;8713019]Saw this posted;
1111 S Broad Street

1111 S Broad Street

Awesome! A big improvement that will make that part of broad st look a lot less desolate. It's pretty attractive and broad street is the most important street to fill in imo. I used to live around there before Lincoln square and it was probably the worst stretch of Broad this close to CC

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:43 AM

[QUOTE=PurpleWhiteOut;8713091]
Quote:
Saw this posted;
1111 S Broad Street

1111 S Broad Street

Awesome! A big improvement that will make that part of broad st look a lot less desolate. It's pretty attractive and broad street is the most important street to fill in imo. I used to live around there before Lincoln square and it was probably the worst stretch of Broad this close to CC
Really amazing to see S. Broad taking off past Washington. I would never have thunk it when I moved back here at the end of 2011. Now we just need to replace the Suburban style McDonald's, Rite Aid, and Popeyes. And, of course, get something good at the site of the Blatstein "sky village"' proposal. I've also really been struck how nice Western South Street is every time I've walked the stretch from Broad to the river the last year or so. Lots of cool little retail, beer gardens, restaurants, etc...it gets better all the time. That promises to continue with some OCF and other projects. South Philly and Southwestern Center City is booming!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 10:56 AM

The Papa John's shown on the far left of that rendering recently closed so I am/was wondering whether they will also be including that lot in their development plans. I haven't noticed any equipment on site, but that's great to see. I live kind of close and this will do a lot to decrease Broad Street scuzziness endemic to this area.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:52 PM
Philly Pholly

I don't know if this is a current proposal but the pic shows there is a shovel on site.

1111 s broad render 3

(My God I hate that 1001 S Broad Street development)
1111 s broad render 4

ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/passyunk-square/renderings-emerge-for-1111-s-broad-street?fbclid=IwAR2mlPxnTFL9LmpMe6vROKmF4kvmLPv3YTqWdEFGAex4hMEBL7H4qfYnqo4

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 1:13 PM

That's a very attractive building. I understand the area can't support anything taller (at least until 1001 S Broad can be built), so I'm fine with the height.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:15 PM
Philly Pholly

I like it. It's scale is appropriate. There are upscale amenities visible, like balconies. I would only stress that it could be taller because there is subway station a block away perhaps justifying a taller building. S Broad in general could be taller than the immediate surroundings. Transit-oriented development and all.
It's definitely good to see this.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:27 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
I can't say Philly has reached a tipping point where we must all go highrise. Plenty of lots around that should get develop first like low and mid-rise in the non CMX 4 or 5 template. Let's get all the crappy or dilapidated lots or empty lots developed, then when opportunity arises, go for the tall high-rises in appropriate neighborhoods/lots zoned for CMX-5 that will likely be mixed use since no single highrise can just support residential, not at this point anyways.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know if this is a current proposal but the pic shows there is a shovel on site.
The shovel has been there for over a week not doing anything. I think I remember a shovel being there a while ago as well. I hope I'm wrong, but this may just be storage.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 1:55 AM

Anybody know why there's a construction crane sprouting from the roof of the office building at 7th & Arch?
Just above Billy Penn's head.

Philadelphia 2019 by jrotn, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Anybody know why there's a construction crane sprouting from the roof of the office building at 7th & Arch?
Just above Billy Penn's head.

Philadelphia 2019 by jrotn, on Flickr
HV/AC installation.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:08 AM

I noticed the other day that the second phase of the development at 25th and Washington is pretty far along.

Graduate Square

If anyone is curious phase one of this project fronts Grays Ferry Ave and was some townhomes and duplexes: 2500 Graduate Square St. - Google Maps

I am still pretty amazed the townhouses commanded the prices they did given the proximity to the railway and gas facility.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:19 AM

^ What prices did the townhomes sell for? Phase II that's underway is the 5 story mixed use building?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:28 PM

Y'all, North Philly is changing.

This past Saturday, I killed some time by grabbing coffee near my alma mater, Temple University, and subsequently taking a walk through North Philly. Walking along Cecil B. Moore, one would not only notice a multitude of renovations on existing buildings between Ridge Avenue and Glenwood Avenues, but also new homes rising along the 2500 and 2600 blocks! I've mentioned new construction on CBM Ave, so I didn't take pics; however, this did catch me by surprise:

These are new homes rising along N. 25th Street, just north of CBM. As I walked north along 25th Street, I could also see and hear multiple renovations occurring both along the street and in the distance.

This was, perhaps, the most surprising thing I saw that day:

This project is rising near Ridge and Glenwood. To say the VERY least, I was shocked! A project this far north would have been seen ridiculous last year, let alone a few years ago! I'm from Philly and don't get spooked easily; however, the area between CBM, Ridge, and Glenwood was slightly shady as of a few years ago. Looks like the tide is changing now!

I swear, Lower North Philly is going to change significantly in the 2020s and 2030s--especially if the North Station District materializes! I'll have to take pics of all the homes rising north of Cecil B. Moore and east of Broad, but a number of units are also coming online in places that would have been unimaginable as of a few years ago.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:34 PM

That is crazy, but consistent with what Ive heard from others who frequent those areas.

In other news, it seems Drexel has been issued zoning permits for the new K-8 school and the nursing school buildings on the UCHS site. I think there was a foundation permit for the 12 story tower as well. Also, brandywine has unity of use zoning permits for the 30th and Arch sites where the two towers are planned.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
That is crazy, but consistent with what Ive heard from others who frequent those areas.

In other news, it seems Drexel has been issued zoning permits for the new K-8 school and the nursing school buildings on the UCHS site. I think there was a foundation permit for the 12 story tower as well. Also, brandywine has unity of use zoning permits for the 30th and Arch sites where the two towers are planned.
Curious, but doubt it's been released - assuming they're copying the Penn Alexander model, have they stated where the catchment would be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development