HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
What project is this?

This is on American St just north of Girard in Kensington. It was being called SoKo Lofts for a while, but is now being called "Dwell Philadelphia."

Quote:
DWELL Philadelphia Apartments will consist of 320 loft-style apartments, designed to fit the surrounding neighborhood. The project sits on one of the large, vacant industrial sites that have been attracting new, often upscale, redevelopments in South Kensington. Three buildings will surround a courtyard, with retail space at certain corners. At four and seven stories tall, the buildings will be built in two phases and will be clad in brick, composite, and metal panels, with glass bay windows, balconies, and roof decks. The developers plan 130 bike parking spaces and 140 spaces for cars, both in the courtyard and, preliminarily, on the first floor of the American Street building.
There are more renderings on Barton Partner's website https://www.bartonpartners.com/project/soko-lofts/

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post
This is on American St just north of Girard in Kensington. It was being called SoKo Lofts for a while, but is now being called "Dwell Philadelphia."

There are more renderings on Barton Partner's website https://www.bartonpartners.com/project/soko-lofts/
Ah, right, thanks. Glad to see this.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Oct 15, 2018 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdman View Post
Anybody remember this:

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/woods-square

I haven't seen anything on this in a while. I know there is that project next to it that is (i'm guessing) almost finished. Were the plans for this scrapped?
I haven't seen anything about it for a long time. There was a 30 townhouse development by Riverwards right across Amber St that sold out about a year ago. Prices were above 450k. Riverwards has another 150+ unit project right across Lehigh ave along the train tracks with townhouses, condos, and some commercial spaces. There is also a 30 unit building currently under construction behind Steak and Shake which is just south of the Woods Square project. So, maybe all of the momentum nearby will help push this one forward. I just hope the plans don't change to become a ton of townhouses.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 8:42 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I'm eager to check out the Cherry Street pier soon...has anyone been? It still looks like it could use a simple coat of paint, especially on the exterior? Does not look inviting from Race Street Pier. A clean, battleship gray with the stone and black roof would look sharp. Just kinda looks dirty still? Assuming it feels cleaner and nicer on the inside?
I was there yesterday morning right when it opens and it was already teeming with people (and from what I've seen, it was packed all weekend). It is definitely still pretty rough around the edges as far as paint touch-ups, concrete fixes, etc. on both the inside and outside, but overall this is definitely a huge win. Previous articles I've read stated that pretty much the entire budget (beyond engineering studies) went to the interior...and you can tell. I appreciate how they didn't try to completely wash away the industrial past, but when they have additional funds, it will make a big difference in the experience of walking into the space getting those details right.

Other thoughts: the space is much bigger than I was anticipating, the views are wonderful, the artist studios look great, the landscaping is well done, the layout makes a ton of sense and draws you in and there are finally some bathrooms on the waterfront (which is huge since there are many food/alcohol options). It's very good now and will be really great once they can really nail those last pieces. It really seems like a space that almost anyone can enjoy.

From a development standpoint, it will be interesting to see if this cannibalizes Morgan's Pier at all in the spring and how that may impact Hurst's plans for that space. I was originally all-in on having it stay as is, but now it doesn't really seem as necessary. It's truly incredible how much this stretch has changed recently and how it will change in the very near future.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post
I haven't seen anything about it for a long time. There was a 30 townhouse development by Riverwards right across Amber St that sold out about a year ago. Prices were above 450k. Riverwards has another 150+ unit project right across Lehigh ave along the train tracks with townhouses, condos, and some commercial spaces. There is also a 30 unit building currently under construction behind Steak and Shake which is just south of the Woods Square project. So, maybe all of the momentum nearby will help push this one forward. I just hope the plans don't change to become a ton of townhouses.
I got an email marketing this property for sale for 31MM... obviously an insane number but sounds like current owner probably intends to sell rather than develop.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
From a development standpoint, it will be interesting to see if this cannibalizes Morgan's Pier at all in the spring and how that may impact Hurst's plans for that space.
I'm not sure an asteroid strike would slow Morgan's Pier's business.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
I'm not sure an asteroid strike would slow Morgan's Pier's business.
Yeah people flock to that place like douche moths to a douche flame.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:09 PM

^Ha, yeah I agree. The two piers I think are going for different audiences. Cherry St. Pier although crowded, is much more family-friendly, artist-vibe, chill -- from everything I can see.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 5:44 PM
build awesome buildings

^I sometimes forget that I'm old and boring now and have only been to Morgan's Pier when it's still light out with room for toddlers to run around. Cherry Street Pier was a stroller convention when I was there, but that was at 11 AM on a Sunday...Old City and that part of town isn't exactly up-and-at-em at that time.

Either way, it's definitely awesome seeing more of that stretch activated with good options for different audiences (douchemoths or not); let's hope we get some updated info on the DRWC Vine Street lot that recently closed it's RFP process to keep the momentum rolling.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:05 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

9 story building coming to Broad & York

https://www.phila.gov/historical/mee...N-Broad-St.pdf

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
9 story building coming to Broad & York
Looks good! Those couple of blocks north of Temple are rough. Needs more like this.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 7:30 PM

Passyunk Square block to be rezoned/RFP requested

Quote:
Bounded by 11th and 12th streets, Wharton and Reed, the Passyunk Square redevelopment site is now home to a municipal services complex. Tucked behind an Acme grocery store at the site of the old Moyamensing Prison on Passyunk Avenue, a police station, fire station, Licenses and Inspections survey unit, sprawling fleet management complex, and even a branch of the Office of Innovation and Technology coexist on the elbow-shaped tract. But many of these uses are no longer compatible with the rowhouse neighborhood and city officials see a chance to repurpose the site for housing and "artisan" businesses.
http://planphilly.com/articles/2018/...assyunk-square

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 9:12 PM

Whoa! Super cool and unexpected. The transformation of North Broad Street continues! Super cool.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Whoa! Super cool and unexpected. The transformation of North Broad Street continues! Super cool.
I think the area around York/North Broad could be really incredible in a few years. So much unique architecture and character.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:17 AM

Very exciting and expected to see something that tall in the dead zone between Temple and TU Hospital. I hope one day we'll see all North Broad through Temple with building at this this size and taller. That'd look so awesome when cross the Ben Franklin bridge.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 7:08 AM

I like that this project is something nice for disadvantaged young people who need housing rather than a Temple project, and I love the way this shows off the historic property behind it that is partnered with it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 9:46 AM
because history matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I like that this project is something nice for disadvantaged young people who need housing rather than a Temple project, and I love the way this shows off the historic property behind it that is partnered with it.
Agreed. From an "I like big/new buildings" perspective, I'm excited to see almost any project like this, but this is actual progress because it helps people who need help and address a major issue in our city.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:52 PM

Great article by Inga. This is outrageous.

Philadelphia expected the Rail Park to generate new development. Instead, we might get a self-storage facility.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/column...-20181018.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Great article by Inga. This is outrageous.

Philadelphia expected the Rail Park to generate new development. Instead, we might get a self-storage facility.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/column...-20181018.html
God, why would the developer even consider building that there? Is there really sufficient demand for self storage units in that part of the city?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:21 PM

The Storage Place is the type of proposals that we need NIMBYs for. There are so many other usages for that lot that would help drive a better development vision for the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development