HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:53 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Maybe someday we can get a transportation museum in the cavern. Or an elephant museum.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:05 AM

North Avenue in Old Town about to get a little denser. Building permit issued to build a new 6 story, 35 unit building with ground floor retail. All 1 and 2 bedrooms. It's to replace a 1 story restaurant building that housed Pops Italian Beef and before that My Fit Foods. I think maybe the 1 story nail salon next door is going away but unsure.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...!4d-87.6338174

This is close to the 10 story, 33 unit luxury building going up at North & Clark. Architect for this one is Axios.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 1:06 AM

Smoke on the Water

Lake Shore Drive Bridge

LSD Bridge - Old pilings ignited when someone tried taking off the cap with a torch.

Smoke on the water by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Smoke on the water by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:05 AM

Outstanding photos Harry! You really are everywhere at a moment’s notice.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:13 PM

Permit issued for 1530 N Halsted: NEW CONSTRUCTION OF 20,325 SF, 4-STORY, 3B, MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT W/ 9 RESIDENTIAL UNITS & 1ST FLOOR RETAIL SPACE. EXISTING NORTH AND SOUTH PROPERTY LINE WALLS TO REMAIN PER PLANS **CERTIFIED PLANS CORRECTIONS: CONDITIONAL PERMIT SUBJECT TO FIELD INSPECTIONS **

Can't tell exactly whats going on here, is this mattress firm biting the dust?:
Oct. 2018: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9095...7i16384!8i8192

EDIT: Yes, according to Chicago Cityscape, that 1-story mattress store built in 2013 is being demolished. Net Positive in my book!

Last edited by Handro; Oct 8, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:20 PM

Has anyone heard about a potential project at 3726 N Lake Shore Drive? There is an old classic walk-up there now.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:46 PM

Stanleys Fruit Market property goes to auction

HUGE CHANGES COMING TO NORTH/ELSTON

Trubune reports 1538 N Elston and 3 adjoining properties to be auctioned. Can be combined on 1 bid or parceled. Right across North Ave from Lincoln Yards. Could be transformation for this auto sewer hell hole. North/Elston/Noble St. frontage + full length alleyway access. Right now a crappy construction storage yards, large parking lot 2- 1 storey commercial boxes and 1 resi 2 flat.

Google Link

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Per Ward email: The Covent Hotel at 2653 N. Clark is proposing to convert/renovate from 60 SRO rooms to 30 affordable apartments. A 7 story apartment building is being proposed to be built in the parking lot behind Covent with 84 market rate units and 52 parking spots.
And here it is. I'll take the added density:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/10/8...el-development

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 9:39 PM

^It looks like the new building is only covering 1/2 or a little more of the current surface lot. I wonder if USPS is maintaining some of their parking back there. At very least I hope this project will be enclosing the former theater lobby that has served as a drive through to the parking for all of these years since the theater component to the Covent was demolished. It would be nice to have another retail space rather than a curb cut fronting Clark.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 12:19 AM

Michael Reese Proposal:

Phase 1

-New 31st Street Metra Station

-10 to 14M sq ft of space once build out

-Plan Commission fall 2020?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:26 AM
Chicago

1100 W Randolph - Former MTV "Real World" house

October 7, 2019

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
1100 W Randolph - Former MTV "Real World" house
October 7, 2019

That's a pretty extreme way to make sure all the RW herpes have all been eliminated from the house... It was probably warranted, though.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
October 7, 2019

A perfect ending for all things MTV. If only the entire network could get the same fate. Old guy out!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:21 AM

Chicago Ave possibly getting better very soon in River North (or whatever you want to call that area for real) with 3 new proposals - 2 on surface lots and the other for that 1 story and mostly surface lot of the currency exchange.

1) The currency exchange building at Chicago & La Salle has more conrete plans now. It will have a total of 36 units that will be rented by the bed, not by the unit. Total bed count would be 108. Co-living basically and they'd team up with NY based Common for it. Building at 7 stories tall. Total of 36 parking spaces with ground floor retail.

Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...go-avenue-site

ALSO: The article above mentions 2 other sites on Chicago Ave that were recently pitched for new

2) 401 W Chicago Ave (& Sedgwick): Currently a surface parking lot. 9 story, 59 condo units proposed by LG. Alternate plans for a 93 unit building on the same site. 71 parking spaces with ground floor retail.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...5!4d-87.638913

3) 757 N Hudson (Chicago & Hudson). Currently a vacant lot with proposal for a 9 story 133 unit building from LG. 37 parking spaces with ground floor retail

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8964...7i16384!8i8192

So LG in one block on Chicago Avenue is proposing 2 new buildings that would total between 192 and 226 units. 1st rendering above shows both buildings along Chicago Avenue. Massive improvement over what's there right now from ground floor perspective, though the overall design leaves a lot to be desired. More info:
https://rnrachicago.org/wp-content/u..._V5_190122.pdf

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 1:28 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Michael Reese Proposal:

Phase 1

-New 31st Street Metra Station

-10 to 14M sq ft of space once build out

-Plan Commission fall 2020?
Interesting, thanks for sharing - who is the developer? Were you able to take any photos of other phases of the presentation, closer to McCormick Place? I admit, I'm out of the loop on what's going on here...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:21 PM

^One Chicago Square plus these other proposals will go a long way toward densifying Chicago Ave--plus Moody for sale and the Tribune lot redevelopment? The northwest section of River North is going to be wildly different 10 years from now--hopefully the city can figure out a dedicated bus lane on Chicago....

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Chicago Ave possibly getting better very soon in River North (or whatever you want to call that area for real) with 3 new proposals - 2 on surface lots and the other for that 1 story and mostly surface lot of the currency exchange.

1) The currency exchange building at Chicago & La Salle has more conrete plans now. It will have a total of 36 units that will be rented by the bed, not by the unit. Total bed count would be 108. Co-living basically and they'd team up with NY based Common for it. Building at 7 stories tall. Total of 36 parking spaces with ground floor retail.

Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...go-avenue-site

ALSO: The article above mentions 2 other sites on Chicago Ave that were recently pitched for new

2) 401 W Chicago Ave (& Sedgwick): Currently a surface parking lot. 9 story, 59 condo units proposed by LG. Alternate plans for a 93 unit building on the same site. 71 parking spaces with ground floor retail.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...5!4d-87.638913

3) 757 N Hudson (Chicago & Hudson). Currently a vacant lot with proposal for a 9 story 133 unit building from LG. 37 parking spaces with ground floor retail

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8964...7i16384!8i8192

So LG in one block on Chicago Avenue is proposing 2 new buildings that would total between 192 and 226 units. 1st rendering above shows both buildings along Chicago Avenue. Massive improvement over what's there right now from ground floor perspective, though the overall design leaves a lot to be desired. More info:
https://rnrachicago.org/wp-content/u..._V5_190122.pdf
Soil testing rig was at the lot at 300 W Huron a couple of weeks ago (the lot is behind my office). Previous plan was for condos and now it's office. Same developer will be filling in another couple of lots along Franklin with office.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeviewguy View Post
Has anyone heard about a potential project at 3726 N Lake Shore Drive? There is an old classic walk-up there now.

Yes I live nearby. The current walk-up is a four unit building that was having some restoration work done on the exterior. However, when the contractors opened up the terracotta facade the underlying structure was found to be in very bad shape. Apparently, the owners and contractor felt it wasn't possible or economic to repair the building.

So instead it's been sold to a developer that plans on demolishing the walk-up, which also comes with an expansive back yard and garage, and instead building a long corridor style apartment building that's four stories high and has 40 to 50 rental units.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Absolutely insane someone wouldn't try to build a slender high rise here - a minimum of 20 floors. This is a weird town.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing - who is the developer? Were you able to take any photos of other phases of the presentation, closer to McCormick Place? I admit, I'm out of the loop on what's going on here...
There were no other phases shown and the reception from the crowd was not negative.

HERE'S THE PRESENTATION

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development