HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 2:15 PM
The City

^ Taxation without representation, I guess--but that's fine you can have 'em. I pay way way more property taxes in Chicago than 99% of Chicagoans, but hey those aren't my dollars, those are the renters' hard earned money. Let the city bring on another stupid new wasteful policy (or pay another of sundry multimillion $$ settlements for their corrupt dealings) that will cost me more, and I guess I'll just have to pass that along to the tenants by jacking up the rents. But of course, dipshits like that Alderman above probably would have his flock of sheep constituents believe that it is my greed that should be blamed for all of this.

Robbing the TIFs to pay for Navy Pier upgrades? Nah, that's just an accounting error.

But staying on topic--we have too many Aldermen, and many of them are there because they would likely be failures in the private sector. Hence their cluelessness in trying to regulate it.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:54 PM
TL;DR

from DNAinfo today: So in Mayor Emanuel's quest to seek win-win real estate deals, the Dept of Fleet/Facility Management (2FM) will be moving from a Goose Island-adjacent site to the old Kennedy-King College site in Englewood. The former site will be sold to developers, although they have not finalized any deals yet.

The proceeds from that sale will go to, among other things, a new police/fire training center on the West Side that will replace the current Police Academy in West Loop and Fire Academy in South Loop, opening both of those sites for development.

Admittedly the CFD site is in the "downtown service area" south of Congress, so we probably won't see anything other than chain retail there, but the Police Academy site in West Loop is an entire city block within spitting distance of the Racine Blue Line stop. We'll see if Emanuel also tries to sell this to developers, or holds onto it for public purposes.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
from DNAinfo today: So in Mayor Emanuel's quest to seek win-win real estate deals, the Dept of Fleet/Facility Management (2FM) will be moving from a Goose Island-adjacent site to the old Kennedy-King College site in Englewood. The former site will be sold to developers, although they have not finalized any deals yet.

The proceeds from that sale will go to, among other things, a new police/fire training center on the West Side that will replace the current Police Academy in West Loop and Fire Academy in South Loop, opening both of those sites for development.

Admittedly the CFD site is in the "downtown service area" south of Congress, so we probably won't see anything other than chain retail there, but the Police Academy site in West Loop is an entire city block within spitting distance of the Racine Blue Line stop. We'll see if Emanuel also tries to sell this to developers, or holds onto it for public purposes.
Definitely should sell the Police Academy.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:51 PM
Urbane observer

That's a shame, at least for fans of poetic justice.

The current Fire Academy stands on the site of Mrs. O'Leary's barn.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 8:57 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

The single-story retail building on the SW corner of Huron/Wells, where CVS was announced to be going in, has begun interior demolition as of last week. I won't have any good photos for a week or two because I had to send in my Nikon D750 for a service notice. Hopefully it won't take too long.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
That's a shame, at least for fans of poetic justice.

The current Fire Academy stands on the site of Mrs. O'Leary's barn.
Also a shame because the fire academy is a modernist gem.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^But staying on topic--we have too many Aldermen, and many of them are there because they would likely be failures in the private sector. Hence their cluelessness in trying to regulate it.

I'm not sure what the "right" number of Aldermen is but in general I would favor greater representation over lesser. Shrinking their numbers would further concentrate power and make it more difficult to influence them as their constituencies are larger and more diverse. When there's so many voices vying for attention only the loudest ($$$) will be heard. Not saying it's not true now ($$) but I'd rather avoid raising that bar.

As to their acumen, generally private-sector success is going to be a poor barometer for success in government. Business doesn't emphasize service and diplomacy nearly enough.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Not any more, Sterling Bay is the buyer at a cool $104.7 million: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...31-column.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Also a shame because the fire academy is a modernist gem.
Agreed, perhaps it could be repurposed as a Chicago Fire/Chicago Fire Department museum?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:06 AM

Plan Commission Agenda for August. Significant general developments:

4000-4180 W. Diversey: Upzone to allow 125 units

1328 W. Taylor: Library + CHA housing, 83 feet, 72 elderly units

328 N. Carpenter: 100 feet, 22,890 sqft office space

716-54 E. 61st Street: Jewel grocery store (finally!)
https://www.cityofchicago.org/conten...017_Agenda.pdf

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:28 AM
The City

^ Good news on the Jewel even though I'm sure it will be suburban as hell. Either way, a grocer like that coming in is a positive sign for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:03 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
^ Good news on the Jewel even though I'm sure it will be suburban as hell. Either way, a grocer like that coming in is a positive sign for the neighborhood.
It is: https://chicagocrusader.com/jewel-os...cottage-grove/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
I'm not sure what the "right" number of Aldermen is but in general I would favor greater representation over lesser. Shrinking their numbers would further concentrate power and make it more difficult to influence them as their constituencies are larger and more diverse. When there's so many voices vying for attention only the loudest ($$$) will be heard. Not saying it's not true now ($$) but I'd rather avoid raising that bar.

As to their acumen, generally private-sector success is going to be a poor barometer for success in government. Business doesn't emphasize service and diplomacy nearly enough.
Chicago has had something like 35 aldermen that have gone to prison over the last 40 years. The office is set up for corruption. The City Council is weak due to it. I'm sure most Mayor's love the petty, myopic views of the vast majority of aldermen. If we had representatives per person as NYC does, our city council would have 16 members not 50. Sounds like plenty to me.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:20 PM

Dafuq?

U.S. Steel Finds Buyer For 440-Acre South Works Site
Quote:
By Sam Cholke | August 1, 2017 7:19am
SOUTH CHICAGO — U.S. Steel has reached a deal to sell the 440-acre South Works site, according to Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

Emerald Living will purchase the land along the lake with views of the skyline from U.S. Steel and will build a mixed-use development that will include up to 20,000 housing units, according to the announcement sent out late Monday.

Emanuel’s office is expected to provide more details about the plan’s use of environmentally friendly technology later Tuesday for the site that stretches from 79th Street to the Calumet River east of Lake Shore Drive.

U.S. Steel put the land on the market last July after deciding it didn’t want to be a direct partner in the developing the property. There was speculation over the last year that the property had become too big for a single development and would be split up.

But in January, developers were back proposing mega-developments for the site, including a partnership between Spanish and Chinese firms proposing modular 12,000 modular houses.

It’s still unclear what Emerald Living is proposing or what it will need to make its plans succeed where others have failed.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...uth-works-site

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:11 PM

nevermind

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Dafuq?

U.S. Steel Finds Buyer For 440-Acre South Works Site

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...uth-works-site
i dont understand this at all.

who are these theoretical 20,000 additional people clamoring to live off 85th street at presumably luxury prices? is everyone just getting drunk off the Obama library?

didnt they originally propose 12k housing units? hell, since we're going through the trouble might as well just double it!

Last edited by Via Chicago; Aug 1, 2017 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:35 PM
The City

^ Where do you get the idea that these will be luxury units?

This isn't going to happen. I give up. We all should give up.

They can't even get a damn thing built at the Michael Reese site. Half of Bronzeville is still full of vacant lots. This is hopeless. Just focus on downtown and the north side. Invest in commerce and education on the south side but otherwise it's time to abandon dreams like this. Will not happen.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
^ Where do you get the idea that these will be luxury units?
well its going to take billions and billions of dollars to actually execute this vision as currently laid out, not sure how else they conceivably plan on making their money back

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:09 PM

From Magellan regarding GEMS 2 construction:

Quote:
GWA Phase-2 Upper School - Site Activities

Below are the site activities related to the GEMS GWA Phase 2 Upper School Construction project.

Additional Soil Borings: This week (Aug. 2nd to Aug.8th)
As part of our caisson Permit the Chicago Office of Underground Coordination has requested that we verify soil bearing capacities at 2 caisson locations.

Site Survey Prep
Anticipating the start of construction the Contractor (Power Construction) will be performing site survey work over the several weeks.

Potholing: Next 2 - 3 weeks (Aug. 2 to Aug.18th)
In advance of the caisson construction, the Contractor needs to complete exploratory excavations at each future caisson location to confirm there are no obstructions below ground. No materials will be brought onto the site or removed off-site during this activity.

The phase 2 site is currently and will remain locked, gated, and secured on all sides. The above activities will not require any street/sidewalk closures.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i dont understand this at all.

who are these theoretical 20,000 additional people clamoring to live off 85th street at presumably luxury prices? is everyone just getting drunk off the Obama library?

didnt they originally propose 12k housing units? hell, since we're going through the trouble might as well just double it!
Assuming an average unit mix that would be 52,000 additional people. In an area with virtually no supporting businesses
Even weighting it to 1br units it would still be at least 30,000.
The urban politician is right, this has pipe dream written all over it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development