HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite! Who submitted the best entry?
ericmacm 7 29.17%
TorontoDrew 12 50.00%
Koops65 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Looks nice. What software?
I'm using Lumion. It's expensive for the full version, but I managed to get a student copy for free.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 9:49 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

That looks pretty sharp! I still haven't yet decided on my arrangement so I'm slowly working on making a 3D model of downtown Winnipeg as I work on a theme...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:37 PM
I am the law!

Re: Maitland

Jeebus. A trio of towers crammed on top of an oversized, disconnected podium in each case. There should be a "none of the above" option. If I had to choose one gimmick over another, it would be Drew's swiss cheese wallpaper.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Re: Maitland

Jeebus. A trio of towers crammed on top of an oversized, disconnected podium in each case. There should be a "none of the above" option. If I had to choose one gimmick over another, it would be Drew's swiss cheese wallpaper.
If you're so dissatisfied with the results of our amateur design competition, why don't you enter a design and show us how it's done?

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:15 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I'm not surprised you didn't like any of them...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:40 PM

Whippersnapper, instead of just being the resident asshole why don't you show us how it's done. This is all for fun. Why are you always such a prick? Do you wake up each day piss in your own cornflakes then go online and take it out on everybody?

Lol at you treating our fun little design competitions as actial proposals. You are a sad bitter old man.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
If you're so dissatisfied with the results of our amateur design competition, why don't you enter a design and show us how it's done?
Because that would take some sort of computer knowledge other then trolling.

Oh and btw Whipper that Swiss Cheese design took me about 8 hrs. What can you do in that amount of time? Love to see something.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 8:58 PM
recession proof

I like his comments and we all know he's right. For every architect there's hundreds of critics so we can learn from them. I am somewhat satisfied with building #2 on the site; building #1 I now realize is a "hack job" and I'm starting over tonight.

How I spend my studio time:

Site history, google streetview context tour, research: 12 hours
Massing study: 1 hour for the site.
Schematics and GFA calculations: 1 hour
Floorplans: 1 hour/building
Facade development: hand sketches, google images for inspiration, sketchup: 4 hours/building
Wait 24 hours then see what could be improved
Finessing design: 2 hours/building
streetscape/furniture: 4 hours
rendering: 30 minutes

~2 days per building

Last edited by urbandreamer; Apr 27, 2020 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:21 PM
Volatile Pacivist

These projects clearly took a lot of time and effort, not to mention nerve for people to put themselves and their creative visions out there. I think that constructive criticism is important but saying things like "none of the above" is just insulting people.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:28 PM
recession proof

I've designed hundreds of buildings and most people don't even comment. I've been criticized for years showing my buildings on UT, SSP & twitter. I'll take a single negative comment over silence: criticism makes the artist better.

On the Maitland site, I agree none of the above was my first reaction. I opened sketchup for the first time in months to come up with my own solution and still couldn't get past the boring balcony tower vernacular.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Apr 27, 2020 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:55 PM

There is a fine line between constructive criticism and being insulting.

Nouvellecosse's post on page 1 of all three designs is the perfect example of constructive criticism. It's neutral, non-confrontational, and provides feedback. WhipperSnapper's commentary is just straight up troglodytic. This is the internet, after all, but coming into a thread like this and trying to cause problems is not appreciated.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 9:00 PM

So I've been busy getting fresh air but I'm looking forward to working on this more tonight. Except for the old awning I still need to build I have the original look of the front of the Theatre back to as close to it's original look as I can find with old pictures. this time around I should be able to light and texture everything.

cummings_02 by Andrew Moore, on Flickr

Time to go for a socially distant run with my dog while the sun is still shining.

Last I will say on the
ericmacm: " There is a fine line between constructive criticism and being insulting."

100% agree, what he said was not meant to be constructive at all.

Last edited by TorontoDrew; Apr 28, 2020 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 9:19 PM
recession proof

Nice. I'm not focusing much on the theatre although I would restore it to its original look and name. I replaced building #1 only this time it took only 1 hour. My mantra: KISS.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 10:29 PM

KISS?

Also I was going to revert it to the Walker Theatre but the Walker name is on several Theatres south of the border, I do plan on putting it somewhere on site but I figured the people of Winnipeg take pride in their home town boy Burton.

Also I suggest we keep this thread open until the deadline so we can share stuff if we like. We can then close it the day of submissions when we start a new thread.

Building Design Competition #2

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 10:37 PM
recession proof

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
KISS?

Also I was going to revert it to the Walker Theatre but the Walker name is on several Theatres south of the border, I do plan on putting it somewhere on site but I figured the people of Winnipeg take pride in their home town boy Burton.

Also I suggest we keep this thread open until the deadline so we can share stuff if we like. We can then close it the day of submissions when we start a new thread.

Building Design Competition #2
Hardly anyone would complain if the theatre reverted to the Walker name. It only changed sometime maybe in the late 90s as the theatre, which was run by a non-profit group at the time, was struggling to survive. They renamed it and Burton was going to play a series of fundraising benefits but I think he only played once or something and that was it.

But details aside, the point is that no one in Winnipeg is too wedded to the Burton Cummings name.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:16 AM
recession proof

Can you see the stars from downtown WPG? The view from the PH:

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:56 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I've finally decided on which direction I'm going with this. A sneak peek:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
These projects clearly took a lot of time and effort, not to mention nerve for people to put themselves and their creative visions out there. I think that constructive criticism is important but saying things like "none of the above" is just insulting people.
Whipper owned a joyful amusement park decades ago. Unfortunately it went bankrupt.

After years of labour-intensive painting T.O. future skylines for "fun", receiving a rather amazing amount of media attention for the scribbles (even a few props from forumers)... I don't recall a single positive comment from Snapper.

Probably no comment is closer to the truth.

Although it's human to hope for an occasional pat on the back, the universal truth learned is obviously "first do it for yourself for fun".. and bits of applause for the sweat is gravy.

Self-esteem insurance: most of us are amateurs and that's OK indeed.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 2:55 PM

Some people are just stuck on being ultra negative for whatever reason. I'm not sure why anyone would expect a kind word or validation from someone like that. I mean, if a crazy dishevelled guy ranting on the street called you a jerk each time you passed by him, would you take it personally or just carry on and be grateful that you aren't in his situation?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada