HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
I can't read that article because of site limits, but do we really need a new port and is the Schuylkill anywhere close to the depth needed for a port?
Why wouldn't you just use the port on the Delaware side?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:20 PM

I think Hahneman was bound to fail as soon as Tenet took it over.

I've always viewed those for profit health care companies (Tenet, HCA, etc) as only being relevant/having a foothold in regions without a long history of medical education. Places without established medical schools and hospitals like Nashville, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc.

The minute Tenet "bought" Hahneman it sullied the brand, if you will.

No one is this region wants to go to a chain healthcare provider when you have CHOP, Penn, Jeff, Temple, etc.

(I know they've become brands in their own right, but they've had to in order to keep players like Tenet and HCA out).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 3:02 PM

300 Units to Replace Parking Garage in the Gayborhood

Quote:
On June 25th, permits were pulled for the construction of a 300-unit mixed-use building with 80 bicycle spaces and an 84-car parking structure at 123-27 S. 12th St. 60 of the 300 units are planned to be part of a personal care home. The other 240 units will be independent living units.
http://www.philarising.com/300-units...he-gayborhood/

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

Nice! I obvs can’t make a thread until we have a rendering but great news nonetheless.

(I’m 90% sure there isn’t a rendering in there, but I’m in the UK with terrible telephone service. If there is I’ll make one when I get back to where I’m staying)

Last edited by mcgrath618; Jun 28, 2019 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 6:10 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

Sounds like its going to be senior housing.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 7:04 PM

Re:Hahnemann

This isn't really that big of a deal. First, Drexel is building a med school campus in Reading, PA attached to Reading Hospital, which is a huge institution. In the meantime I don't think there will be much trouble shuttling out their students for residency.

Also, I don't actually think Hahnemann will close for long, and I think any rumors of a demo are complete fantasy. I believe the state will rescue it and provide funding (much like they do for Temple) and have it operate under a different entity. Its possible another academic institution could absorb it, or Drexel could run it with state aid.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post

This isn't really that big of a deal. First, Drexel is building a med school campus in Reading, PA attached to Reading Hospital, which is a huge institution. In the meantime I don't think there will be much trouble shuttling out their students for residency.

Also, I don't actually think Hahnemann will close for long, and I think any rumors of a demo are complete fantasy. I believe the state will rescue it and provide funding (much like they do for Temple) and have it operate under a different entity. Its possible another academic institution could absorb it, or Drexel could run it with state aid.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Also, I don't actually think Hahnemann will close for long
They've already been ordered by the city not to close.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Sounds like its going to be senior housing.
Wasn't there a plan for a low rise mixed use development on this lot? See Feb 2019 eg Summers post #11593 in the Low-rise thread?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Wasn't there a plan for a low rise mixed use development on this lot? See Feb 2019 eg Summers post #11593 in the Low-rise thread?
Yeah, this seems to have morphed. It seems an odd location for a senior living facility, too. But I’m still happy to see development move forward.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 11:05 PM

Sounds like a highrise! Maybe they decided to plop a tower on top of the retail podium.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:

Secretly wishing Temple could take over this space and expand into center city. It'd never happen, but if it did, it could help Temple gain access to a pool of privately insured individuals which would help stabilize their budget.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:31 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Thomas Jefferson hospital might be a good fit too.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Thomas Jefferson hospital might be a good fit too.
I work for Jefferson. I don't think there is an appetite to buy it. We are absorbing so much already as it is. I wouldn't rule it out down the road.

Problem is that Hahnemann is a money loser. It will always be, because it will always serve the "underserved." That is both why it is crucial and why it won't be profitable. A hospital of this nature will always require state funding, and is more of a public service.

Anyone could run this place with state funding, the state needs to step up. Would probably cost them 20 million a year, however it would serve thousands annually. Its actually a good investment and the exact type of public/private arrangement that should occur.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yeah, this seems to have morphed. It seems an odd location for a senior living facility, too. But I’m still happy to see development move forward.
I mean it's right next to the hospital so there are benefits to the location. However I think it would make it difficult for friends and relatives to visit if they usually drive.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I work for Jefferson. I don't think there is an appetite to buy it. We are absorbing so much already as it is. I wouldn't rule it out down the road.

Problem is that Hahnemann is a money loser. It will always be, because it will always serve the "underserved." That is both why it is crucial and why it won't be profitable. A hospital of this nature will always require state funding, and is more of a public service.

Anyone could run this place with state funding, the state needs to step up. Would probably cost them 20 million a year, however it would serve thousands annually. Its actually a good investment and the exact type of public/private arrangement that should occur.
Question on that (i know little about hospitals) -- Why is Hahenemann more for the "underserved?" It's got such a great central location that I would think it would (or rather could) attract a similar audience as TJ or Penn. Why is Hahenemann so different from those two?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Question on that (i know little about hospitals) -- Why is Hahenemann more for the "underserved?" It's got such a great central location that I would think it would (or rather could) attract a similar audience as TJ or Penn. Why is Hahenemann so different from those two?
I agree it is confusing, because its technically a good location. However, I believe because of its extremely accessible location right on Broad and 676. People know you can literally just drive up and dump people at the curb.

It almost "suffers" from too accessible of a location.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 1:39 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
Temple Hospital in North Philly has "underserved" population too. I think Thomas Jefferson (TJ) is a better hospital than Hahnemann. Better managed, better docs, and better facility. Admission wise, I think TJ has less admission than Temple and could increase their number of beds and therefore increase their admission. TJ is a better brand IMO and could compete with Penn (the leader in the area). TBH, lots of variable to run a successful hospital. I rather see TJ take over Hahnemann than Temple, not that Temple couldn't do a good job.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 4:58 PM
Future World Dictator

https://twitter.com/billy_penn/statu...530817/photo/1

Interesting graphic about the number of ER/non-ER admissions at Hahnemann. FWIW I know three people that worked at Hahnemann at various points over the last ~10 years and they've consistently said the place was run horribly and was generally a mess with a lot of issues. So who knows what will happen but there's going to need to be a lot of work done if they are going to attempt to save it somehow.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
I agree it is confusing, because its technically a good location. However, I believe because of its extremely accessible location right on Broad and 676. People know you can literally just drive up and dump people at the curb.

It almost "suffers" from too accessible of a location.
Fascinating. Never thought about it that way. Thanks for the insight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations