HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:26 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I know they wouldn't do it, but it would be ideal for those of us that actually care about the hockey itself.
The top 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs.

You are going to face a good team in each round and a better team in the one after that.

Not having enough divisional games is what leads to having 1/3/5 overall in the same division. That's a scheduling problem, not a playoff format problem.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
There's only two series with significant time zone issues. And here's the rub, almost no one in the East stays up to watch the West anyway so where exactly is the ratings hit for TV in this scenario? This might get two markets in the East paying attention to earlier rounds in Western time zones.
It would hypothetically be possible for an already weak tv market like Tampa or Carolina to play 3 series against a West coast team and have half their games finish at 1 am EST. It would also be possible for Toronto to face multiple Western Canadian teams and then people would complain when their local games started at 4 pm PST.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 9:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The NHL can't be too pleased that all these big market and/or hockey market teams are most likely not making the playoffs:

Philly
Buffalo
New York Rangers
Detroit
Chicago
Los Angeles
PIT, BOS, WSH are basically the highest drawing TV teams in the US. I think the NHL is fine with who is making the playoffs. Buffalo is also the smallest US-based market in the NHL and they watch playoffs with or without the Sabres in them. People also undervalue just how hot the Nashville and Vegas markets are right now.

On the other hand, Sportsnet badly needs a deep Toronto, Winnipeg, or Calgary run in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite
It would hypothetically be possible for an already weak tv market like Tampa or Carolina to play 3 series against a West coast team and have half their games finish at 1 am EST. It would also be possible for Toronto to face multiple Western Canadian teams and then people would complain when their local games started at 4 pm PST.
There was a time when Toronto played San Jose in the playoffs. I'm sure fans would love having to wait until 10:30EST on weeknights to catch the Leafs playing in San Jose and certainly nobody would complain about how hard done by the team would be having to travel all that distance in the first round...

As I pointed out previously in this thread the current format is to maximize divisional rivals playing against each other and to minimize travel for Western conference teams in the first two rounds. I'm sure we all remember the years where Detroit would play Anaheim in the first round.

If we want CGY/EDM or TOR/MTL series they're far more likely to happen in the first round under the current format than the third round. The current format isn't great, obviously, but there are reasons for it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 9:46 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The top 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs.

You are going to face a good team in each round and a better team in the one after that.

Not having enough divisional games is what leads to having 1/3/5 overall in the same division. That's a scheduling problem, not a playoff format problem.
Agreed. I'm good with East playoffs and West playoffs, but I am not a fan of the divisional approach they've taken now. It rewards weak divisions and penalises good divisions. Total suckage.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:47 PM

I like the playoff format the way it is, the division rivalry series are usually the most entertaining.

Really curious how the Flames are going to do in the playoffs, they are a very fast, exciting team, but they aren't very tough...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:52 PM
Near Generational

You don't think Hathaway and Bennett provide enough grit?

Prout is an option if they feel the need to dress a face puncher.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:14 PM

They provide some grit, but neither is really very big. Prout will be our tough guy, but he's kind of a plug. They could be ok, or this might expose a couple holes in the build of the team...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:36 PM
Near Generational

I have a lot of time for Prout. His role is arguably harder than a back up goaltender.

Getting in the lineup once every 6 games with limited minutes is very challenging. Doing it on the road is even worse with a higher proportion of your starts against the other team's top line.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:09 PM

Jesus Christ Johnny!!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:17 PM
arf

^Haha. If that's not tanking (New Jersey) I don't know what is. up 4-3 going into the third and then you just, I don't know, give up a penalty shot and just mail it in from that point.

And good grief, the tanking is going hard in the Eastern Conference. Last ten games records:

New York Rangers 2 - 3 - 5
Buffalo 2 - 6 - 2
New Jersey 2 - 7 - 1
Detroit 1 - 7 - 2
Ottawa 1 - 8 - 1

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:38 PM

Only 11 games left in regular season for most teams. I can't believe the regular season is almost over.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:47 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Only 11 games left in regular season for most teams. I can't believe the regular season is almost over.
I can't wait for it to be over. This has been a roller coaster ride with the Jets this season and I am excited to see more Canadian teams in the playoffs this year. I would love to see a Calgary-Winnipeg conference final, but is it in the cards?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:52 PM

That would be an exciting series! I hope Montreal makes the playoffs too, we need 4 Canadian teams represented.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:01 PM
arf

^I'm hopeful, but it really looks like it will be three Canadian teams. Montreal finishes with TB @BOS TOR and Columbus finishes with BOS @NYR @OTT and Carolina finishes with @TOR NJ @PHI.

Still hoping Mr. Price can stand on his head one last time to get them into the playoffs.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 10:19 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Nice job Oilers. Losing to the worst road team in the league who were playing essentially an AHL roster due to injuries, playing for the second straight night, and had been shelled the night before.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 10:43 PM

At the Oilers game last night

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 10:55 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 11:28 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

Love this. I will never get tired of laughing at Oilers incompetence. Losing 6-3 to the Devils?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 11:49 PM

The Oilers have a way of giving their fans a glimmer of hope, then shitting all over them lol.

One day the BoA will return to the playoffs...

Since we were talking about this a few weeks ago. https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-i...-out-1.1273544 "If the Oilers miss the playoffs once again, could we see Connor McDavid ask out of Edmonton in the near future?"

My $.02 is he is committed as the article states, but a few more years of this will try his patience and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a change of heart.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:46 AM
Go Chiefs!

Jesus, 4 more pts for Kucherov, now at 115 pts with 11 games left.

Most since Crosby's 120 in 2006-2007.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada