HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Oilers'll suck as long as Daryl Katz owns the team and his lackeys' focus is on selling overpriced real estate, not running a hockey team.

Anecdotally, I've heard from someone who's met with both the Flames and Oilers senior officials numerous times in the last while that there is quite a stark contrast between the two teams. Flames management was agreeable, enthusiastic and community minded. Oilers management was petulant, arrogant and dismissive. Given how the two teams are playing I wonder if that is not translating into their respective teams on ice performance.
That's understandable. You got Kevin Lowe telling people how much he knows about hockey because of his 6 rings and also don;t forget the "two tiers of fans" comment....just brutal. This is the reason why the Oilers are not going to get any better anytime soon and why they won;t attract a good GM. Katz and the ol' boy Oilers are what's wrong and until that is solved, nothing changes.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:16 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I heard on Vancouver sports radio this morning that there exists the "red wine club" where a bunch of 80s Oilers big names meet with Katz and give him their two cents about what the team should do. Anyone else heard of this?
And any guesses who replaces interim GM Keith Gretzky?
They need to find a younger GM like Dubas or Chayka. The new guy's first order of business has got to be cleaning house, starting with the entire coaching and scouting staffs. I'd probably fire the stick boy if it was up to me. (Sorry Joey)

That's really the only way to truly change the culture.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Nicholson is saying they are not rebuilding but I can’t see it his current incarnation of the Oilers Ever being good. They’ve got to wait out these contracts, for the love of god, draft smart. Forget the play offs. Go for lottery picks. It’s back to square one.
The part that's funny is he's saying they're a playoff team right now, which seems unbelievable, but they are only three points behind Colorado and Dallas, and 4 points behind Minnesota for the final wild card. Luckily for the Oilers there are some other teams who don't want success either. In a normal year they'd be long gone from the playoff picture.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:19 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
They need to find a younger GM like Dubas or Chayka.
Highly doubt the old boys in Edmonton have any desire to do this and Edmonton media seems afraid of stepping on said old boys' toes. Nothing will change under current ownership.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:43 PM

Katz seems to be a fanboy of the Oilers glory days, so he'll probably hire one of them as GM. I hope Lowe or MacT get the job back, that would make my day!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:00 AM
DRINK

Quote:
They need to find a younger GM like Dubas or Chayka. The new guy's first order of business has got to be cleaning house, starting with the entire coaching and scouting staffs. I'd probably fire the stick boy if it was up to me. (Sorry Joey)

Would Ryan Smyth count as a younger GM....cause...well...that would be very Oilers.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:04 AM
Community Guy

HA!

EPCOR

Verified account

@EPCOR
7h7 hours ago

The water in #yeg is just fine, Bob. We get the water right every day for over one million people. #LetsGoOilers #oilers

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:10 AM

Quote:

Dubas had a significant grooming process that I dont see the Oilers ownership having the patience for. The leafs didnt just pick him out of thin air and drop him in the gm position. He ran the Marlies and basically spearheaded their shift from a group of old fringe-nhlers into the youth development group that they are today. All the while he was sitting next to Lou and learning from one of the most experienced in the business.

The Oilers need someone like Shanahan to come in first and change the culture. Once again I dont see edmonton ownership letting someone come in and have Carte blanche over hockey decisions.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:15 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
He ran the Marlies and basically spearheaded their shift from a group of old fringe-nhlers into the youth development group that they are today.
More importantly, he GM'd in Sault Ste. Marie before even getting involved with the Leafs at all. He had been around hockey circles for yeeeears before joining the Leafs, and the Oilers would be hard-pressed to find someone that young with that much pedigree.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:22 AM
Near Generational

Chayka
Dubas
Botterill

Three 'rookie' GMs two of which have their teams playing better than anyone expected before the season started.

Surely there is someone in a front office in an AGM or player personnel role with fresh ideas and that has enough experience to take the next step.

As a Flames fan, I hope they go for someone terrible like Dean Lombardi or Pierre McGuire.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
HA!

EPCOR

Verified account

@EPCOR
7h7 hours ago

The water in #yeg is just fine, Bob. We get the water right every day for over one million people. #LetsGoOilers #oilers
haha, that's awesome.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:59 AM

There's not a lot of good experienced GM's out there. There was lots of controversy surrounding Mike Gillis in his final few years in Vancouver, but his record here, as far as team success goes, was stellar. As good a candidate as any.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:20 PM
arf

Nylander didn't look like a problem last night. 3A, +4 in 13 minutes and change of ice time.

Whatever the Oilers do I'm sure it will be followed by a bunch of optimism in Edmonton followed by a half season honeymoon and then more stupidity.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Nylander didn't look like a problem last night. 3A, +4 in 13 minutes and change of ice time.
He hasn't been a problem offensively since his first 5 or so games, it just wasnt translating onto the scoresheet. Still not showing the defensive responsibility needed, but neither are 80% of the team so not much fault there.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:49 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Katz seems to be a fanboy of the Oilers glory days, so he'll probably hire one of them as GM. I hope Lowe or MacT get the job back, that would make my day!
One could argue that Lowe was the best GM Oilers have had since Sather. His teams were competitive, almost annual post season appearances during his tenure and all before the cap era

Some perspective; this is the Oilers 4th best points total at the all-star break since the '05 lockout. Almost unbelievable considering the on-ice product, but entirely plausible considering the missteps and mismanagement

The apathy in town towards the team this year is alarming, it just feels...different than years past. The comments regarding the Oilers' management arrogance toward the community is spot on

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Nicholson is saying they are not rebuilding but I can’t see it his current incarnation of the Oilers Ever being good. They’ve got to wait out these contracts, for the love of god, draft smart. Forget the play offs. Go for lottery picks. It’s back to square one.
They'll have to rebuild to some extent, but not that much really. They have some good pieces. McDavid of course, and Draisaitl, and you've got a good young D-man in Nurse. Guys like Puljijarvi (sp) and Yamamoto have strong potential under the right guidance. RNH still has to time. With a decent goaltender which could help them win here and there, they could get the pieces they have on track again, and can continue adding and make for a quick rebuild.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:23 PM

The Toronto Sun just named the Flames as Canada's team lol.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The Toronto Sun just named the Flames as Canada's team lol.
Purposely taking a dig at the Leafs no doubt. Hard to argue though, as the Flames have the best record of a Canadian team at the moment, but when you look at the top two lines, you see only one Canadian (Monahan) 2 Swedes, 2 Americans, and a Czech.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
One could argue that Lowe was the best GM Oilers have had since Sather. His teams were competitive, almost annual post season appearances during his tenure and all before the cap era

Some perspective; this is the Oilers 4th best points total at the all-star break since the '05 lockout. Almost unbelievable considering the on-ice product, but entirely plausible considering the missteps and mismanagement

The apathy in town towards the team this year is alarming, it just feels...different than years past. The comments regarding the Oilers' management arrogance toward the community is spot on
But that's just it. Before the cap era good or decent teams could stay at that level for long periods. It's 100 x more challenging to keep a team at the top or competitive in this cap era. Back in the old days, Chiarelli could have kept all the players he wanted as long as the owners were willing to pay. Now with Conner/Lean making over $20Million between the two of them, the cap era is making it difficult to build and sustain.

Not trying to say Chiarelli didn't screw up, but I would like to see Lowe try and juggle around all the salaries. Weren't Hall and Eberly around $6million each? It was part of the reason they were traded.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Purposely taking a dig at the Leafs no doubt. Hard to argue though, as the Flames have the best record of a Canadian team at the moment, but when you look at the top two lines, you see only one Canadian (Monahan) 2 Swedes, 2 Americans, and a Czech.
I don't care about the nationality of the players at all, I care about the team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada