HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballister View Post
Yeah just reproduce suburban sucorporate food concepts there like its Desert Ridge. So downtowny. No thanks.
Every big city in the world has chains. And All of those are local favorites with the exception of D&B. They are places that attract people more than just on game day. There is a severe lack of decent sports bars downtown. Tilted Kilt is trash, Majerle’s food is inedible, Hooters is OK. Not really any decent played to watch football on Sundays.

Not every single bar/restaurant downtown can be some mom and pop shop.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Tilted Kilt is trash, Majerle’s food is inedible, Hooters is OK.
This is a funny sentence to me because I have always felt hooters was objectively the worst food of any major chain of its type!

Anyway, I agree with you. Chains are everywhere for a reason, people like them. Bring in more well-known chains and your average tourist, local from the suburbs, etc. will be instantly more comfortable downtown and probably spend more time/money.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:07 AM
self-important urbanista

Of all the places mentioned, only Dave & Buster's is a national chain. Cold Beer & Cheeseburgers probably has enough locations now to be considered a local chain. The breweries mentioned have more than one location but are not big enough to meet my admittedly vague definition of a chain.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
This is a funny sentence to me because I have always felt hooters was objectively the worst food of any major chain of its type!

Anyway, I agree with you. Chains are everywhere for a reason, people like them. Bring in more well-known chains and your average tourist, local from the suburbs, etc. will be instantly more comfortable downtown and probably spend more time/money.
It’s a controversial position but I love their wings. People love them or hate them. Admittedly, I haven’t had anything else on their menu in decades.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:25 PM
Skyriser

I disagree with the notion that chains are inherently good. They're more comfortable than good and suburbanites like that, especially when they're bewildered in some downtown/big city safari.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I disagree with the notion that chains are inherently good. They're more comfortable than good and suburbanites like that, especially when they're bewildered in some downtown/big city safari.
Nobody said they were inherantly good. A chain means that a business was wildly successful, successful enough to scale. That is a good thing, it means there is demand.

Now there are good chains and bad chains. Nobody is suggesting downtown become full of exclusively chains - BUT - chains provide stability. They don't go out of business after 6 or 12 months like the mom and pop places do. Ultimately a healthy economy and retail scene needs both. We're talking about downtown for the 5th biggest city in the country for Christ sake, chains are gonna show up. We're not talking about Roosevelt Row.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Nobody said they were inherantly good. A chain means that a business was wildly successful, successful enough to scale. That is a good thing, it means there is demand.

Now there are good chains and bad chains. Nobody is suggesting downtown become full of exclusively chains - BUT - chains provide stability. They don't go out of business after 6 or 12 months like the mom and pop places do. Ultimately a healthy economy and retail scene needs both. We're talking about downtown for the 5th biggest city in the country for Christ sake, chains are gonna show up. We're not talking about Roosevelt Row.
You're arguing with the "I want to wish it true" mentality, won't get you anywhere. I agree with you 100% Some people only think what they want should exist, forget all the millions of other people who don't share their view, right?

The majority of people feel comfortable and familiar with chains. When chains start showing up downtown it's a sign that the city is becoming a destination. Think of all the most bustling parts of big cities, full of chains. Hell, even the most bustling parts of the Valley we live in...

I got news for you all: You're going to see a Rock Bottom (or similar) downtown and your'e going to see a Nike store (or similar) downtown. This means your city is doing well, not that it's selling out. I wish some of you would be a little more aware.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You're arguing with the "I want to wish it true" mentality, won't get you anywhere. I agree with you 100% Some people only think what they want should exist, forget all the millions of other people who don't share their view, right?

The majority of people feel comfortable and familiar with chains. When chains start showing up downtown it's a sign that the city is becoming a destination. Think of all the most bustling parts of big cities, full of chains. Hell, even the most bustling parts of the Valley we live in...

I got news for you all: You're going to see a Rock Bottom (or similar) downtown and your'e going to see a Nike store (or similar) downtown. This means your city is doing well, not that it's selling out. I wish some of you would be a little more aware.
Exactly. Then what happens is more people want to live downtown because they have the stores they need to shop at or restaurants they trust. Also means that more mom and pop places will pop up because more people are downtown as they are drawn by the chains. It's all about critical mass. People here don't understand that. It's not like I was suggesting a damn iHop.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 11:29 PM

Saw a banner along the Washington facade saying that Chase Bank is coming to Block 23. Don’t know if they mean just an ATM or a branch itself.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Saw a banner along the Washington facade saying that Chase Bank is coming to Block 23. Don’t know if they mean just an ATM or a branch itself.
Would they put a new branch when the chase tower is only 4 blocks away?

Is it to deal with new residents or do they intend to fully vacate "chase tower"?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Would they put a new branch when the chase tower is only 4 blocks away?

Is it to deal with new residents or do they intend to fully vacate "chase tower"?
Seeing that roughly 200-300 employees are left in Chase Tower, maybe it makes sense to for them to vacate the tower entirely into a smaller floor plan.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 6:04 PM
Skyriser

It doesn't make any sense that they'd have a banner for a office lease. Retail banking I could see. But it could be both--covertly relocate the employees but advertise the branch.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 7:35 PM

I talked to the security guard in the office portion. He confirmed it is a branch and they are starting TI's.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:58 PM

Ryan Apts

A good view of part of DTPHX from the Ryan Apts Instagram account. https://instagram.com/stories/therya...=1b2r6zv590src

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
A good view of part of DTPHX from the Ryan Apts Instagram account. https://instagram.com/stories/therya...=1b2r6zv590src
Can anyone post? I dont have IG because I despise social media.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Can anyone post? I dont have IG because I despise social media.
the link worked for me on my browser . . . just click it

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 12:23 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
the link worked for me on my browser . . . just click it
It made me sign-in to view it

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 12:25 AM
Skyriser

You need to have an account to look at stories but not posts but you can’t even scroll down that much if you don’t have an account.

This link is a story. And it’s a video so it’s kind of hard to grab. It’s not that particularly well done so you’re not missing much. It’s just promoting this building.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
A good view of part of DTPHX from the Ryan
The Ryan is a very nice apartment highrise, it's just too bad it's SO GODDAMN EXPENSIVE. $1,800 for a studio is outrageous. My only gripe. End rant.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
The Ryan is a very nice apartment highrise, it's just too bad it's SO GODDAMN EXPENSIVE. $1,800 for a studio is outrageous. My only gripe. End rant.

I received an email today from The Ryan with the headline "NOW OFFERING: DRASTICALLY REDUCED RATES ON ALL HOMES"

Studio $1,399
One Bedroom $1,338 (no idea how this is lower than studio)
Two Bedroom $2,101

Additional specials of
4 to 6 weeks free
$500 gift card
Reduced rates on parking
Waived application and admin fees

Man they must be desperate. I toured there in June and agree it was really nice but not worth the original price tag. The lower rates though... crazy tempting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest