HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

One nit was that there was a 50¢ fee for cash back on a debit card. I asked the cashier about it who confided that it was the only Fry's location that had that "feature".
I noticed that feature last night at a Kroger here in Houston as well. Probably won't be long until it's rolled out company-wide.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
I noticed that feature last night at a Kroger here in Houston as well. Probably won't be long until it's rolled out company-wide.
I just saw that at a North Mesa Fry’s also.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:08 AM

I visited the new Fry's today and noticed a lot of private security guys but no PD uniforms.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I just saw that at a North Mesa Fry’s also.
Is this more 'encouragement' to use 'Kroger Pay' vs your bank's debit cards?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician View Post
I used Samsung pay there yesterday as I do at the Fry's, by me in Tempe, Sprouts, Trader's Joe's, CVS among other stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
I've also used Samsung Pay there as well as at Walmart, Albertsons, Costco, Safeway, etc. In fact, some cashiers will ask me if it's Apple Pay or Samsung since not all of them take the former.
Interesting. Based on my experience yesterday, I assumed no mobile payments via any third-party services were accepted. Searching on Reddit, I see conflicting reports about success with Samsung Pay at Kroger-owned stores. Maybe it's sort of under the radar -- not disabled at the terminals, but also not promoted. I can definitely say Apple Pay is not supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Is this more 'encouragement' to use 'Kroger Pay' vs your bank's debit cards?
My guess is yes. Kroger seems to be focusing on a strategy of developing its own payment platform and issuing its own debit card.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300794897.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Interesting. Based on my experience yesterday, I assumed no mobile payments via any third-party services were accepted. Searching on Reddit, I see conflicting reports about success with Samsung Pay at Kroger-owned stores. Maybe it's sort of under the radar -- not disabled at the terminals, but also not promoted. I can definitely say Apple Pay is not supported.

My guess is yes. Kroger seems to be focusing on a strategy of developing its own payment platform and issuing its own debit card.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300794897.html
Apple Pay worked for a month a couple years ago - then was disabled. Kroger was always on the list of coming soon - but then Kroger Pay arrived. I refuse to use it...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:39 PM
Modulator

Yes, Kroger has started charging fees for using a Debit card. Here's the breakdown:

--No fee for any request $0.99 and under
--$0.50 for cashback between $1 and $100
--$3.50 for cashback between $100.01 and $300

If you scan your Fry's card during the transaction, the .50 cents fee is waived for $100 and under cashback, and reduced to $3.00 between $100.01 - $300 cashback.

Per Kroger's Twitter account, the fees are to keep up with ATM fees and bank transactions:
"We are sorry to hear about your feelings about the cashback fee! We have a fee due to banks & other retailers raising ATM fees & limiting the amount of cashback. We want to offer our customers a convenient, low cost, way to get their money. We hope you understand!"

So, basically, make sure you scan your Fry's VIP card before getting cashback. If you need more than $100, just make 2 separate transactions to avoid the $3.00 or $3.50 fee.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:46 PM

If I used a non Wells Fargo ATM it will cost me usually $2 - The last thing I would complain about is 50 cents. At that point you're getting cash at a lower cost than using the ATM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
If I used a non Wells Fargo ATM it will cost me usually $2 - The last thing I would complain about is 50 cents. At that point you're getting cash at a lower cost than using the ATM.
Are you guys really having a two page conversation about debit card fees and mobile payments on the Block 23 discussion? I keep hoping when I see a new post that it's announcing new retail tenants... but nope. We have to talk about how everyone pays for their groceries and if the toilets lock in the bathroom.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Are you guys really having a two page conversation about debit card fees and mobile payments on the Block 23 discussion? I keep hoping when I see a new post that it's announcing new retail tenants... but nope. We have to talk about how everyone pays for their groceries and if the toilets lock in the bathroom.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:00 PM

Send us to the gulag for talking about something we are interested in talking about.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:02 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
But of course! It's been a slow news day!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Send us to the gulag for talking about something we are interested in talking about.
No - it's the gulag for being DULL. lol

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 9:19 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Yes, Kroger has started charging fees for using a Debit card. Here's the breakdown:

--No fee for any request $0.99 and under
--$0.50 for cashback between $1 and $100
--$3.50 for cashback between $100.01 and $300

If you scan your Fry's card during the transaction, the .50 cents fee is waived for $100 and under cashback, and reduced to $3.00 between $100.01 - $300 cashback.

Per Kroger's Twitter account, the fees are to keep up with ATM fees and bank transactions:
"We are sorry to hear about your feelings about the cashback fee! We have a fee due to banks & other retailers raising ATM fees & limiting the amount of cashback. We want to offer our customers a convenient, low cost, way to get their money. We hope you understand!"

So, basically, make sure you scan your Fry's VIP card before getting cashback. If you need more than $100, just make 2 separate transactions to avoid the $3.00 or $3.50 fee.
I provided my phone number in lieu of scanning the card which I lost years ago. It got me VIP savings, coupons, etc. but they still charged the 50¢.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 10:20 PM
Skyriser

I don't see an issue talking about the details of the first actual grocery store to open downtown in decades.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 10:31 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I provided my phone number in lieu of scanning the card which I lost years ago. It got me VIP savings, coupons, etc. but they still charged the 50¢.
That's per Kroger's policy. Probably should mention it to the clerk next time. Don't want to waste the extra .50 cents!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:

-- The layout is a little weird. After using the self-checkout, I thought I'd then be able to exit the store immediately. Instead, I found myself back in the main area of the market and had to retrace my steps to the main entrance.
You realize there are 2 sets of Self-Checkouts right? One by the seating area in the middle of the store and another set in front of the registers facing Jefferson.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:04 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
You realize there are 2 sets of Self-Checkouts right? One by the seating area in the middle of the store and another set in front of the registers facing Jefferson.
I used the ones by the seating area, not knowing about the other location. It seems weird to have check-out in two places. I've never seen that in a grocery. Usually it's all up front.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 10:33 PM

I didn't realize there was a second set of self checkout registers until I was on my way out the door. Used the one by the salad bar and had a quick bite in there.

I am surprised that they put in an actual full grocery store. I think all this time I had been envisioning a limited stock with maybe two selections of TP instead of all the brands or five types of cereal instead of all the cereal. Very cool that it's a complete store.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I used the ones by the seating area, not knowing about the other location. It seems weird to have check-out in two places. I've never seen that in a grocery. Usually it's all up front.
It's because say you atop at chompies you don't pay for there you have to pay at least the checkout. So if you want to sit down and each they have a couple self checkouts right there so you don't have to go pay at the front door and walk all the way back to seating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest