HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 11:40 PM
North Beach

Progress on the rear of the building:

The panes of glass are pulled out of the interior...

by this crane overhead...

The pane is put in place:

The front:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 7:08 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Another shot of the back, this one from Friday. Based on Dave's photos from today, I'd say they've been quite busy since Friday morning. Notice how much more glass is now on the backside in his shots.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 1:59 AM
North Beach

Work continues on the upper floors. We see can see the sort of quality amenities that await those on the top most floors:

Steel arrives:

Up, up and away!

Here we see Mario industriously caulking the panes in place. He evidently shops for clothes down at the wharf:

Glass installed to date:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:48 AM
Green Berniecrat

Nice progress with the 4th level of glass coming along. It also seems they're very close to topping the roof out with the steel beams.

Is Mario wearing a St. Louis Rams hard hat? Oh no no no, that could never be me then, I'm a niner (as bad as they're playing )

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:53 PM

Tishman Speyer has updated the 555 Mission website with a 3d animation:
http://www.555missionst.com/virtual/virtual.html

Also added is an ‘Interactive Views’ interface allowing a user to spin 360 degrees at multiple floors of the building with a digital city backdrop:
http://www.555missionst.com/views/views.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
i think this picture is hysterical. the guy is probably thinking, "why the f*ck is that pervert continually taking pictures of me and not the building?" haha.

btw great updates guys. for someone that doesn't live in SF, it really feels like i'm there watching the building rise.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
North Beach

Towers new and old:

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 2:15 AM

Looks like this building is about to top out. BTW, some sources like the skyscraperpage diagrams and emporis list the height of this building as 458 feet with 33 storiies, while some sources (including this thread list the height as 482 feet with 34 stories. Does anyone know anything about this?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:11 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfguy View Post
Looks like this building is about to top out. BTW, some sources like the skyscraperpage diagrams and emporis list the height of this building as 458 feet with 33 storiies, while some sources (including this thread list the height as 482 feet with 34 stories. Does anyone know anything about this?
My best guess is that we here at skyscraperpage has it right. By looking at the 3D views that kchalmers provided a link to, you can see that floor 34 of 555 Mission more or less lines up with around the top of the St. Regis Museum Tower a couple blocks away. That tower is 484' tall. 555 Mish obviously 34 stories because the official website deems it so, which leads me to believe we're right even more.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 8:43 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Finally had a chance to check out the virtual tour and views on the Tishman Speyer site. Besides being incredibly cool, I noticed a few interesting things:

1. They show Millenium and Infinity complete and very accurately (Infinity for obvious reasons).

2. Yet only the first tower of ORH is included. Plus they got the color and crown wrong on ORH.

3. The final Foundry Square building (III) is shown complete.

4. There's a generic box at the corner of Second and Howard. Does anyone recall if TS owns the development rights to that property?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
4. There's a generic box at the corner of Second and Howard. Does anyone recall if TS owns the development rights to that property?
That's 222 second street, which is also a Tishman Speyer project. Here's the project description from the Notice of Preparation given back in May:

"The project sponsor, Tishman Speyer Properties, proposes to construct a 25-story, 350-foot-tall office tower containing approximately 430,700 square feet of office space. The project would also include retail space and an enclosed public "plaza" space at ground floor, and two levels of sub-grade parking containing 50 parking spaces (which would accomodate about 75 vehicles with valet parking), as well as small areas of outdoor open space at grade level. The proposed building would be a LEED (Leadership in Energy Efficient Design) Gold rated building."

http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfi...g/FinalNOP.pdf

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 8:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks PB! I knew there was something planned but couldn't remember the address or any other info to search for it. It's always good to see a surface lot bite the dust.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:18 PM
Green Berniecrat

Forgive me as this isnt the right place to discuss it, but I thought 222 2nd Street suppose to be 436'? At least this is what is displayed on the Chronicle graphic provided by FourOneFive's rundown of San Francisco's projects. Are one of the two outdated or do we have another case where the Chronicle feels free to make up their own numbers?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:41 PM
BANNED

^^^The project may have changed. When the SF Planning Department began fast-tracking "green" projects, this building was redesigned to qualify I believe.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
My best guess is that we here at skyscraperpage has it right. By looking at the 3D views that kchalmers provided a link to, you can see that floor 34 of 555 Mission more or less lines up with around the top of the St. Regis Museum Tower a couple blocks away. That tower is 484' tall. 555 Mish obviously 34 stories because the official website deems it so, which leads me to believe we're right even more.
not exactly :

according to the construction docs :
555 mission is 487 feet from grade to the top of the roof screen.

st regis is 480 feet from grade to the top of the roof screen.

however, the site elevation for st regis is 17 feet but 555 mission is about 10 feet, so coincidentally the actual elevation from the sf city zero datum is exactly the same, plus or minus a few inches.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
Forgive me as this isnt the right place to discuss it, but I thought 222 2nd Street suppose to be 436'? At least this is what is displayed on the Chronicle graphic provided by FourOneFive's rundown of San Francisco's projects. Are one of the two outdated or do we have another case where the Chronicle feels free to make up their own numbers?
i believe the project changed due to the constraints of the existing zoning. like nearly all the office towers built or proposed under the current zoning (101 2nd, 560 mission, 55 2nd, 350 mission, 222 2nd street...) the FAR and the constraints of developable office footprints are more restrictive than the height limit. 555 mission, as a relevant example to this thread, is in a 550 foot height limit just like 301 mission!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:22 AM

From the virtual tour, it also looks like they will have a pedestrian crosswalk between 555 Mission & 560 Mission.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 12:08 AM
North Beach

Bonus two-for-the-price-of-one shots:

Glass being installed on the side of the building:

The lighting today shows off the effect of the 'fins', despite the dirty glass:

another bonus two-for-one:

progress overall:

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 1:45 AM
Green Berniecrat

Nice shots, I like how you snuck in Millenium and One Rincon in there, very clever. By the last picture, it looks like they are working on the last floor before they top off. I assume the crown structure that will bring the tower to its full height will be placed above.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:04 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They are installing the glass in what seems like a random manner, although I know that's not the case. I also noted today that they added some of the mechanical venting on the backside. Tons of steel was delivered today so they're not done yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive