HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
Here is my email with the Property Administrator for Parallel Capital Partners who own Arizona Center:

Me: “When are the AC Hotel and the Palm Court Tower supposed to break ground and start construction?”

Them: “We appreciate your interest in Arizona Center. Both development sites are scheduled to begin construction this summer.

For the latest on what’s happening at Arizona Center please follow us on Facebook and Instagram. We’ll be sure to post about the ground breakings once we have more details.”
I'm surprised AC Hotels has not backed out and sought another Downtown location at this point considering this is going on nearly 2 years since it was announced. I'm sure they would like to get their hotel up while the economy is strong.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:22 PM

I work at the Arizona Center; we got a notice that construction of the hotel is to begin in the next “few weeks”, beginning with relocating the palm trees from the courtyard to new areas. Construction is supposed to last 18 months. Apparently there is no new parking allotted for the hotel, relying on the current parking garage and the use of alternate transportation methods by guests. We’ll see how well that plays out.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMatt View Post
I work at the Arizona Center; we got a notice that construction of the hotel is to begin in the next “few weeks”, beginning with relocating the palm trees from the courtyard to new areas. Construction is supposed to last 18 months. Apparently there is no new parking allotted for the hotel, relying on the current parking garage and the use of alternate transportation methods by guests. We’ll see how well that plays out.
Thanks for the inside information! Is there any word about construction on the Palm Court tower Apartments at the Arizona Center?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:30 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I'm good with that. There has always been plenty of available parking in the current garage even on the weekends. The top 2 levels are almost always nearly empty. It's also worked very well for Hampton Inn without a garage.

I'm curious where they are going to put all the palm trees?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I'm good with that. There has always been plenty of available parking in the current garage even on the weekends. The top 2 levels are almost always nearly empty. It's also worked very well for Hampton Inn without a garage.

I'm curious where they are going to put all the palm trees?
Yeah its a huge garage + there is a public parking garage right across the street and there will be parking for the APT tower built in etc etc.

They dont need to add more parking.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
Thanks for the inside information! Is there any word about construction on the Palm Court tower Apartments at the Arizona Center?
All the notice mentioned was construction on Palm Court was supposed to begin later this year, which has already been stated.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:00 PM

Do we know which rendering was picked for the Palm Court tower yet? I know the evidence so far points to the silver version but do we know for sure?

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Makes sense, I have two vacations planned this summer for San Francisco and Chicago and I’m not renting a car for either place. Paying for parking in a hotel in the city runs about 30 dollars a day, doesn’t make sense with Uber, lyft, and trains. Plus, you may want to have a few drinks when going out and parking in the city is just a hassle. The only concern for people vacationing in Phoenix would be taking a day trip to Sedona or something like that if you didn’t rent a car. I guess if you work at APS or anywhere else in those towers would be you being concerned for your spot and if you pay the price going up?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 4:03 PM
Modulator

There was a little bit of digging and a pile of dirt where AC Hotel is to go. I am unsure if this is related to the actual project or if they were repairing something though. I hope this is some kind of prep-work and AC is about to get going. It seems it's been delayed so many times. I was talking with a bartender at 1130 and even he thinks AC will stall until after summer. I hope not.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 6:46 PM

It would be nice if they build both buildings they've been discussing, call me pessimistic but I have my doubts. Arizona Center has been all talk and no action (with the exception of the recent renovations which is the only thing giving me hope) since Little Ditty's and all the other attractions closed up.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 7:31 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
It would be nice if they build both buildings they've been discussing, call me pessimistic but I have my doubts. Arizona Center has been all talk and no action (with the exception of the recent renovations which is the only thing giving me hope) since Little Ditty's and all the other attractions closed up.
I'm skeptical of Palm Court, but AC Hotels have already signed an agreement with AZ Center. So I don't see that not happening. My understanding is most of the setbacks have been issues with the City of Phoenix denying several variances which kept sending the design back to the drawing board. I think everything is set now. Just waiting for groundbreaking.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
I think they have to build both. They have already sunk so much money into the purchase and remodel. With no new retail, the only hope of getting their money back is with the residential and the built-in customer base to drive more retail demand.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
There was a little bit of digging and a pile of dirt where AC Hotel is to go. I am unsure if this is related to the actual project or if they were repairing something though. I hope this is some kind of prep-work and AC is about to get going. It seems it's been delayed so many times. I was talking with a bartender at 1130 and even he thinks AC will stall until after summer. I hope not.
I noticed that today too. Grass is dead. Looks like hell. I think construction in imminent.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I noticed that today too. Grass is dead. Looks like hell. I think construction in imminent.
Soon ^tm

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:31 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
The bartender I was talking to at 1130 a couple weeks ago said they were letting the grass die for the project. Yea...it's pretty dead right now. I walked around yesterday and I also noticed another spot towards the garage where digging had occurred and dirt was moved that I didn't see before. I think they are just weeks away from breaking ground...if not days.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The bartender I was talking to at 1130 a couple weeks ago said they were letting the grass die for the project. Yea...it's pretty dead right now. I walked around yesterday and I also noticed another spot towards the garage where digging had occurred and dirt was moved that I didn't see before. I think they are just weeks away from breaking ground...if not days.
And on cue--building permit issued today

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 11:16 PM

I just looked up Layton Construction, they seem to have some hospitality experience (I've stayed at Montage Deer Valley and Monarch Dana Point multiple times which they've built) but I'm not seeing any high rises. Not that 13 stories is a high rise.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
And on cue--building permit issued today
I can hardly believe it

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:05 AM

Quote:
I just looked up Layton Construction, they seem to have some hospitality experience (I've stayed at Montage Deer Valley and Monarch Dana Point multiple times which they've built) but I'm not seeing any high rises. Not that 13 stories is a high rise.
Layton is also building the new Ritz-Carlton in PV, which is a $2 billion dollar project.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:21 PM

They are taking down light poles in the area where the hotel is being built this morning.

Edit... they took down A light pole this morning. Hopefully it’s a sign of thinks to come, but moves a little faster...

Last edited by PhxMatt; Jun 19, 2019 at 6:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest