HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:01 AM

Here's the Arvada station shot I captured...my thoughts exactly! :-)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:59 AM
cities|transit|croissants

This was created by someone named Jem and shared on facebook. Neat fantasy map incorporating several streetcar lines into Denver.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:11 PM

What's the best way to make Denver a Transit Town?

From working with lots of families from neighborhoods in the suburbs you get to know the schools and school districts. From dating moms with kids you get to hear all manner of fun (and gory) stories. When you happen to know employees of both the Denver Zoo and Denver Museum of Nature and Science you start connecting lots of dots.

It turns out that buses with school children inside regularly visit the zoo and science museum from all over the metro area. With completion of the Boulevard LRT Line a gazillion school buses could drive to the nearest Park N Ride and ride the rail to both of these iconic attractions. It would become quite the transit venture. Some would come via rail into DUS to catch the A Line to Colorado Blvd Line; others would come north from Colorado and I-25. And what do these kids do when they get home? They gleefully recount their adventurous day.

To make Denver a transit town, start young and let Denver's youth experience the fun and ease of rail transit; then go home and spread the word.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraShy View Post
Here's the Arvada station shot I captured...my thoughts exactly! :-)

Great photo; that's pretty hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
If you really wanted to build rail (outside of streetcar), you wouldn't constrain yourself with existing road or rail corridors.
You lost me but piqued my curiosity.

Existing (freight) rail corridors have pretty much been used up - except the NW line to Boulder. Since my primary interest (at this point) is URBAN LRT lines, then existing (road) corridors seem the most logical to me. There's five 'focus' corridors or six if you count Park Ave. After Colfax and Federal you have Broadway, Speer/Leetsdale and Colorado Blvd. I'm recommending light rail for three of these.

But you've mentioned streetcars a couple of times. Would the map posted by Cirrus be relevant?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:10 AM

I work near the G Line and could use it as an alternative to driving, alas.. Seriously what is the hold up and what is the latest timeline for opening? I've noticed trains running more frequently along the line.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I work near the G Line and could use it as an alternative to driving, alas.. Seriously what is the hold up and what is the latest timeline for opening? I've noticed trains running more frequently along the line.

I try to remember that these rail lines are not for us, per se. They are for the people living here 20 years from now. That said, the hold up on the G line is a snafu with the new-fangled signaling system that has affected all of the Commuter Rail lines. Once they got past that snafu, they began testing (which is the increase in G-line trains you see lately). I personally expect the testing phase to last 3-6 months, with the opening soon to follow that period. Having watched this for years, *my* estimate for G-Line opening is Earth Day 2019. That's a rabbit I pulled from a hat, and I only chose Earth Day because that was the original opening day of the A-Line to DIA. Thought it would make a bit of a story to have the G-Line open on Earth Day just as they had originally planned for the A-Line. I am not associated with RTD or Light Rail in any official capacity, I'm just a commuter/bystander watching the madness unfold! :-)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:02 AM

"Neat fantasy map incorporating several streetcar lines into Denver."

My fantasy map includes an extension to the G-Line into Golden proper...at the end of the freight tracks near Ford Street and 10th Street (much closer to the downtown Golden area by far!) but I like the ambition in the posted graphic!!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:53 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
I try to remember that these rail lines are not for us, per se. They are for the people living here 20 years from now. That said, the hold up on the G line is a snafu with the new-fangled signaling system that has affected all of the Commuter Rail lines. Once they got past that snafu, they began testing (which is the increase in G-line trains you see lately). I personally expect the testing phase to last 3-6 months, with the opening soon to follow that period. Having watched this for years, *my* estimate for G-Line opening is Earth Day 2019. That's a rabbit I pulled from a hat, and I only chose Earth Day because that was the original opening day of the A-Line to DIA. Thought it would make a bit of a story to have the G-Line open on Earth Day just as they had originally planned for the A-Line. I am not associated with RTD or Light Rail in any official capacity, I'm just a commuter/bystander watching the madness unfold! :-)

They typically open these lines on or around the three yearly run boards to coincide with the usually substantial bus service changes. August changes are now final. So, next one is this winter sometime.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
"Neat fantasy map incorporating several streetcar lines into Denver."

My fantasy map includes an extension to the G-Line into Golden proper...at the end of the freight tracks near Ford Street and 10th Street (much closer to the downtown Golden area by far!) but I like the ambition in the posted graphic!!
I've long thought that would be a logical extension, and a much better terminus than Ward Rd Station. Though I imagine the area along Ridge Rd to Ward to 52nd to Tabor will look very different in 5-10 years as a TOD cluster builds up there.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I've long thought that would be a logical extension, and a much better terminus than Ward Rd Station. Though I imagine the area along Ridge Rd to Ward to 52nd to Tabor will look very different in 5-10 years as a TOD cluster builds up there.
The Jefferson County Assessor's map confirms that RTD already purchased the needed ROW to make this extension possible. Their G line ROW extends all the way to about 9th and Archer in Golden (right by Coors). I'd have to imagine it's not a matter of if they build this extension, but when.

I'm sure, like everything, it's all about the $$$. An extension from Ward to Golden was not a part of Fastracks, so unless a private contractor wants to come forward with a proposal to build it on their own, RTD isn't likely to be jumping at an extension any time soon (they still have unfunded lines they are on the hook for).

There's also the question about whether Golden even WANTS this extension - the city is notoriously anti-growth. I'm assuming it will either take a large landowner with an interest in developing near the terminus station, or at the very least the political support of the City of Golden, the School of Mines, or perhaps Coors (doubtful on that one) to make it happen. Who knows how long that might be.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:15 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
You lost me but piqued my curiosity.

Existing (freight) rail corridors have pretty much been used up - except the NW line to Boulder. Since my primary interest (at this point) is URBAN LRT lines, then existing (road) corridors seem the most logical to me. There's five 'focus' corridors or six if you count Park Ave. After Colfax and Federal you have Broadway, Speer/Leetsdale and Colorado Blvd. I'm recommending light rail for three of these.

But you've mentioned streetcars a couple of times. Would the map posted by Cirrus be relevant?
Point being, if you're doing a rail-based study, you wouldn't just constraint yourself to streets, you'd look at where rail is most needed and try to get to those places by any means possible, including subway and elevated alignments. Lines would ideally make their way under our densest hoods like Cap Hill and Cheesman on their way to our densest commercial centers like Cherry Creek.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Point being, if you're doing a rail-based study, you wouldn't just constraint yourself to streets, you'd look at where rail is most needed and try to get to those places by any means possible, including subway and elevated alignments. Lines would ideally make their way under our densest hoods like Cap Hill and Cheesman on their way to our densest commercial centers like Cherry Creek.
Ahhhh, gotcha.

I can affirm and attest to riding the Sky Train to Sky Harbor is not only cool but very efficient in moving a lot of people quickly.

Video Link

While I am interested in URBAN light rail my focus is the whole city as opposed to within the central downtown core specifically - not only moving a lot of people within but also schussing them away from (or to) or even around downtown ie the Boulevard Line.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:19 PM

Why Initiative 153, the Denver Chamber etal statewide sales tax increase
was very wise to allocate 40% directly to local jurisdictions.

RTD rail delay could affect voters' decision on statewide transportation funding proposals
08/14/2018 By John Fryar/Longmont Times-Call
Quote:
That was a predominant sentiment Tuesday among the more than 30 people who gathered at the Longmont Area Chamber of Commerce to hear details of competing initiatives proposed to address transportation needs across the state.

Skeptics of the proposals said people continue to be upset the Regional Transportation District's Northwest Rail service — which was to be paid for with a 2004 voter-approved 0.4 percent sales tax — has yet to materialize.
Nothing like conflating issues and (my fave) Kelly Brough handled the objection well.
Quote:
Kelly Brough, president and CEO of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce, said she could understand Longmont residents' frustrations. But she argued the merits of Initiative 153, the "Let's Go Colorado" measure...

Forty percent of revenues generated by the tax increase would go directly to municipalities and counties for local transportation needs, decisions that would be made by their governments and not any state or regional agency, Brough said. Constituents, through their local governments, would have "100 percent flexibility in how you spend it," she said.
It's Not a secret that the Streetsblog crowd is Not fond of CDOT (unless CDOT helps with something they want done) so this should be a factor among that group of voters as well.

It is always SAD when people with myopic agendas 'let the perfect be the enemy of the good.' Btw, Jarrett Walker agrees.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:05 PM

We have Updates

Quote:
Quote:
They typically open these lines on or around the three yearly run boards to coincide with the usually substantial bus service changes. August changes are now final. So, next one is this winter sometime.
Increased Testing On G Line Garnering Lots Of Questions
August 15, 2018 (CBS4)
Quote:
WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. (CBS4) – Neighbors in Wheat Ridge and Arvada are noticing increased testing of the new G Line. RTD employees say they’ve been getting a lot of questions about the new trains and their loud horns.
How's the testing going?
Quote:
RTD says the testing is in the final stages, but it’s still not clear when the 11 mile line will officially open.

When it does, the trains will run every 15 minutes from 4 a.m. until just after midnight every day between downtown Denver and Wheat Ridge.
Meanwhile...
2020 Is RTD's New 'Ballpark' Estimate For North Metro Rail Line
AUG 13, 2018 BY NATHANIEL MINOR/CPR
Quote:
RTD estimates its future commuter rail line from Denver to the northern suburbs won’t open until the spring of 2020... And the new approximation is just that — an approximation, said Lisa Trujillo, RTD’s project outreach manager for the N Line. “That’s a ballpark figure,” Trujillo said. “We are not ready to announce any date at this time.”
This line was delayed as both RTD and the contractor filed lawsuits against each other over delays. They made nice with the help of arbitration. The N Line is considered to be 85% complete.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:22 PM

It dawned on me last night that...

'State Ballot Initiative 153' should generate the same $'s for Denver transportation as the parks proposal that will be on the Denver ballot; that is estimated to generate $46 million a year. If the .62 percent State sales tax increase for transportation passes, 40% will go to local jurisdictions; forty percent of .62 would be .248% or virtually the same as the Denver parks proposal for .25% sales tax increase.

Now, how Denver would decide to use that $46 million in transportation revenue is a whole other question?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:00 PM
Robotic Construction

It would be enough to finance a LRT subway tunnel from Union Station to Civic Center Station, followed by at-grade line from Civic Center to Cherry Creek. It wouldn't fund extending that subway from Civic Center to I-25/Broadway Station. Eventually that would have to be done so that LRT Lines from SW and SE corridors could divide demand between lines using the CPV, Central and Civic Center Subway corridors for entry into downtown. This in turn would also relieve congestion on the 16th Street Mall Ride. The Mall Ride would then serve as a final 1/4 mile service from the subway stations, instead as a forced transfer end-to-end corridor.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:38 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
It would be enough to finance a LRT subway tunnel from Union Station to Civic Center Station, followed by at-grade line from Civic Center to Cherry Creek. It wouldn't fund extending that subway from Civic Center to I-25/Broadway Station. Eventually that would have to be done so that LRT Lines from SW and SE corridors could divide demand between lines using the CPV, Central and Civic Center Subway corridors for entry into downtown. This in turn would also relieve congestion on the 16th Street Mall Ride. The Mall Ride would then serve as a final 1/4 mile service from the subway stations, instead as a forced transfer end-to-end corridor.
It's about $800M in funding- which is probably just the LRT subway tunnel through DT. But, that precludes any monies spent on BRT corridors, road repairs, pedestrian improvements, bike lanes, etc. That $46M/yr would be better spent elsewhere.

If this park tax passes, I would hope the city immediately earmarks the general funds that were used for Parks & Rec to transportation instead.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
It's about $800M in funding- which is probably just the LRT subway tunnel through DT. But, that precludes any monies spent on BRT corridors, road repairs, pedestrian improvements, bike lanes, etc. That $46M/yr would be better spent elsewhere.
Don't forget that Elevate Denver Bonds will spend ~$450 million on 290 transportation projects.

The good news is that Denver/RTD hasn't yet identified all the needed funding for East Colfax BRT and is hoping for FTA approval of matching grant money, so passing Initiative #153 could assure moving forward on this project.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
If this park tax passes, I would hope the city immediately earmarks the general funds that were used for Parks & Rec to transportation instead.
You can't do that; you're conflating issues.

Per Denverite
Quote:
The money would go toward new land purchases; improvements at parks; restoration of waterways; planting and maintenance of trees; and maintenance of open spaces.
Seattle spends well over twice as much per resident on their parks and open space. Parks are an invaluable city resource that should serve all neighborhoods. Creating better equity or access in underserved areas is one of the goals. Parks serve many purposes including:
Quote:
Parks are important environmental infrastructure. Parks and green space cool our cities, they clean the air we breathe and they help us manage stormwater. ... Parks and green space absorb or soak up excess water in the environment, reducing the physical, social and economic impacts of storm damage due to flooding.
Some have devoted their lives to making Denver more livable.
Quote:
Jeff Shoemaker, whose father was essential in creating the city’s greenway system, said it was a “historic, significant” evening that was a decade in the making. Denver is the only metro county that doesn’t have a dedicated parks funding source, he said.
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 5:07 PM

Source

Denver Light & Commuter Rail Are Cranking

It only took until August for APTA to publish 1st quarter numbers but they look solid:
  • Light Rail up over 9% with 6.3 million trips
  • Commuter Rail up 15.8% with 1.7 million trips
Baltimore and Charlotte joined Denver in the light rail Good News column but Charlotte also opened their Lynx Blue Line extension.

Bus ridership continued its ugly trend down 6% with 15.7 million trips.

Consider this:
Light and commuter rail now carry just over 50% of the ridership of all buses. RTD has a total number of 142 fixed routes including 10 light and commuter rail lines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West