HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 5:19 PM

Block 23

Here is a new thread for everything occuring on Block 23.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:56 PM

Renderings:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 7:02 PM

Thanks Obadno! Great enlarged pic! I haven’t seen it that way. More impressive!!!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:09 AM

Has it ever been determined if these are the final renderings or is it possible that they will go higher with the residential? With all the activity and demand downtown, you'd think at least 20 stories wouldn't be out of the question.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Has it ever been determined if these are the final renderings or is it possible that they will go higher with the residential? With all the activity and demand downtown, you'd think at least 20 stories wouldn't be out of the question.
The rendering is of a ~20 story residential.

I found a massing diagram of a taller office section and I would guess thats the best we can hope for.

As you can see from the diagram, the building is only about 15 stories but it has high ceilings. In the original (and from what we know probable) massing the building is only 4 floors but its as tall as the 9 story office building across the street because of its 15 foot ceilings. In this massing above its more like 15 stories with the equivalent height of a ~25 story office building for the same reason.

Im hoping, with the continued downtown demand and shrinking office vacancy, Red takes the risk of developing a larger office building. Considering they finished citiscape in 2009 during the depression, they might see the stronger economic forecast and take a risk on this.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:35 PM

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The rendering is of a ~20 story residential.

I found a massing diagram of a taller office section and I would guess thats the best we can hope for.

As you can see from the diagram, the building is only about 15 stories but it has high ceilings. In the original (and from what we know probable) massing the building is only 4 floors but its as tall as the 9 story office building across the street because of its 15 foot ceilings. In this massing above its more like 15 stories with the equivalent height of a ~25 story office building for the same reason.

Im hoping, with the continued downtown demand and shrinking office vacancy, Red takes the risk of developing a larger office building. Considering they finished citiscape in 2009 during the depression, they might see the stronger economic forecast and take a risk on this.
Downtown Class A vacancy is still high but your point about taking a risk is a good one because the kind of office they are planning to develop on Block 23 is more creative space rather than traditional office space located downtown. I suspect they'll land some pretty top tier tenants for hip factor alone.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 10:25 AM

It's going to be nice to see that nasty parking lot disappear forever. I gotta say that this project has really grown on me. At first, I wasn't happy with the height but it's going to have an awesome street presence if built like what we see in the renderings with the buildings spanning across the whole lot like that. Much nicer than cityscape.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 9:27 PM

Anyone remember when CityScape was new, and they built a temporary sales office? It was located where the dirt has been removed in the second picture that fawd took.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:27 AM

Bit of a delay because they found an old foundation on the site and are preserving it for photographs prior to proceeding.

https://i.imgur.com/NEJZIwI.jpg

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Bit of a delay because they found an old foundation on the site and are preserving it for photographs prior to proceeding.

There was an article that came out when Fry's was first proposed about a Cold War era bomb shelter beneath the lot and the excavation to be done. Prior to that, who knows what else is down there. Fox Theater (still ducking pissed it was demolished) was on that exact corner. And before that it was our very Victorian city hall. I'm curious what else they'll find.

Also, will depending on how deep they dig be telling of how tall the office portion of the project will be?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

I work in Colliers Center and walk by here daily and they are definitely doing an archeological dig. They were using a pick and a brush yesterday uncovering a brick wall.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician View Post
I work in Colliers Center and walk by here daily and they are definitely doing an archeological dig. They were using a pick and a brush yesterday uncovering a brick wall.
That'd be cool if there's a section in either Fry's or a small space dedicated to the history of the block. There's so much history on the block (relative to Phx I mean).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:52 AM

The larger massing was shown to the City to show that the office portion is being built to sustain future height.

This is essentially a 20-story residential tower with a block-wide podium; even that tower is unattractive given how wide it is.

The worst part is the ground floor plan, though. 90% of 1st St and Jefferson will be dead walls from the Fry's, where shallow retail bays could have been placed to integrate it and make it, well, urban. The space along Jefferson and 2nd st for residential amenities is also out of place with Colliers and TSA next door.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:26 AM

Tonight Fox 10 News at 9 is doing a story tonight on the artifacts found so far during the archeology dig so far.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:36 PM

Fry’s in Downtown Phoenix breaking ground in April

Quote:
Developers will finally break ground in Downtown Phoenix on the much anticipated Block 23 mixed-use development, which will house the area’s first grocery store.

RED Development will break ground on Block 23, which is located at First and Washington Streets, on April 13. The project includes a Fry’s Food Stores, 200,000 square feet of creative office space, 330 apartment units and retail space.

The mixed-use development is located near CityScape and Talking Stick Arena. RED Development plans to complete Block 23 in 2019.

StreetLights Residential will work on the 330 apartments at the project.

This will be the first grocery store in the area.

RED Development says the Fry’s Food Store will be one of the most technologically advanced grocery stores in Arizona.

There will be above and below-grade parking on site at Block 23. RED Development says this Block 23 marks CityScape’s expansion to Second Street.

With a new very moody rendering:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

By far my most hated vacant lot in Phoenix. That rendering looks bad ass!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
By far my most hated vacant lot in Phoenix. That rendering looks bad ass!
Agreed, looks great! Wish the office portion was higher, but I get that the demand is just not there...yet. Hopefully in the future or even during construction phase, office demands skyrockets and RED decides to go higher

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 11:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Agreed, looks great! Wish the office portion was higher, but I get that the demand is just not there...yet. Hopefully in the future or even during construction phase, office demands skyrockets and RED decides to go higher
I'm sure it will happen sooner than later. Someone has to be taking notice of the influx of residents by now and probably have office space in mind.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:05 PM

Maybe they have realized the apartment market is over-saturated and don't know if they necessarily want to build them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest